Azure, the cloud computing service from Microsoft, can significantly enhance your organization’s productivity, collaboration, and ease of use. However, just like any other tools, it has to be well-managed and monitored to ensure that it is up and running at all times in optimal health.
Here is our list of the Best Azure Monitoring Tools:
- SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor – FREE TRIAL This comprehensive monitoring tool comes with out-of-the-box monitoring templates and scripts to provide end-to-end monitoring of your Azure platform and all the applications that run on it, with little effort from your end. Get a 30-day-free trial.
- Paessler PRTG This is a powerful tool that analyzes your Azure platform, identifies any anomalies, and makes appropriate recommendations, so you can fix them before it affects your security or reputation.
- Site24X7 Infrastructure Monitoring This tool helps you stay on top of the performance and issues and outages in your Azure monitoring system by giving you the metrics and insights you need to address problems proactively.
- Datadog Integrates well with DevOps workflows and pipelines to give detailed insights into the performance of your Azure platform and the applications hosted on it. This helps to quickly and efficiently catch the threats to your organization.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager This tool proactively monitors all your Azure resources and gives the information needed about their performance, so you can make the necessary tweaks to improve their productivity.
- OpsView Monitors your Azure environment and gives all the metrics you need to monitor the performance of your cloud applications.
- ScienceLogic Gives you a clear and concise view of your entire Azure infrastructure and its services and applications.
- Dynatrace A fully automated Azure monitoring tool that uses advanced AI capabilities to analyze your Azure environment and accordingly makes appropriate recommendations to improve its overall efficiency.
- AppDynamics A part of Cisco, comes with readily available tools for rapidly troubleshooting the bottlenecks in the Azure environment and optimizing the performance of applications that run on it.
- LogicMonitor Integrates well with the Azure platform to gather metrics for detailed analysis and insights.
There are tons of things that can go wrong with the Azure platform, with some of the common problems being:
- Security vulnerabilities
- Shared model
- Encryption of data, and more.
You need the right Azure monitoring tools to ensure that the above possible Azure problems don’t impact your organization. But this is easier said than done given the vast number of Azure monitoring tools available today. To ease this process, let’s dive deep into the features and pricing of each of some of the best tools that can monitor the performance and availability of Azure.
The Best Azure Monitoring Tools
Server and Application Monitor from SolarWinds is a comprehensive monitoring tool that stays on top of many critical aspects of Azure functions to ensure that your system is available, stable, and secure at all times. It is quick to set up and easy to use and takes a lot of pressure from network administrators, and in the process, improves their overall productivity and motivation.
The features of Solarwinds Server and Application Monitor are:
- Discovers and troubleshoots Active Directory problems
- Monitors the web, virtual, and cloud applications to ensure their optimal performance at all times
- Uses agentless monitoring to monitor servers and applications on Azure efficiently
- Identifies the root cause of response time issues and makes recommendations accordingly
- Automatically identifies dependencies in the network
- Optimizes performance across all cloud instances
- Monitors the performance of virtual machines and containers
- Gives insights into your Azure platform usage
- Handles configuration changes
- You can use this tool to monitor any custom application with just a few clicks.
- Handles performance and availability issues across your Azure platform before it affects end-users
- Works well on hybrid environments as well
- Discovers new devices and maps them accordingly
- Provides end-to-end visibility of the entire platform
- Comes with out-of-the-box reporting templates that can quickly give you the performance.
- ENsures compliance with existing security standards
- Identifies server and performance availability issues before users can spot them
- Creates infrastructure maps to display connections across devices
- Ensures the availability of all your apps
Pricing: The cost starts from $1,622.
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day-free trial.
2. Paessler PRTG
PRTG from Passler is a sensor-based monitoring tool that monitors every aspect of your Azure platform and applications to give you powerful insights into their working and health, so you take the necessary steps proactively to get the most out of them.
Here’s a look at the features of PRTG related to Azure monitoring:
- Requires minimal setup and configuration, and this saves time and effort.
- The existing PRG sensors can be customized to create sensors to monitor specific aspects of the Azure platform.
- Makes it easy to keep track of resources and their usage
- Automatically detects new resources in the Azure environment
- Monitors 17 types of resources, including SQL databases, websites, storage accounts, cloud apps, schedulers, service health, virtual machines, and more.
- Gives information on specific metrics such as CPU percentage, database size, used capacity, latency, availability, disk read/write operations, downtimes, etc.
- The billing sensor monitors your billings and ensures that you stay within your budget.
- Minimal maintenance required
- Allows you to set custom error limits
- Generates reports that give insights into the performance of your different resources on the Azure platform.
Pricing: Since this is a sensor-based system, the cost depends on the number of sensors you use. Typically, you use one sensor to monitor a single aspect of a resource. For example, you need a sensor to monitor the database size of your SQL database and another sensor to know its CPU usage, and so on.
The cost is:
- Upto 500 sensors – $1,750
- 501-1000 sensors – $3,200
- 1001-2500 sensors – $6,500
- 2501-5000 sensors – $11,500
- Unlimited sensors for one installation – $15,500
- Unlimited sensors for unlimited sensors – Custom
Download: Click here for a free trial.
3. Site24x7 Infrastructure Monitoring
Site24x7 infrastructure monitoring can give all the insights you need to stay on top of the entire cloud infrastructure. It also makes it easy to manage your cloud deployments while its AI-driven predictions ensure that you handle issues before they become problems.
The features of Site24X7 Infrastructure Monitoring are:
- Monitors private, public, and hybrid cloud environments
- Provides a centralized approach to manage all your cloud resources
- Analyzes the performance trends of native cloud services
- Uncovers malicious activities at the earliest
- Comes with AI-powered reporting
- Optimizes the entire cloud infrastructure with built-in best practices
- Automates incident remediation for individual resources
- Tracks the performance of virtual machines and Kubernetes
- Stays on top of PaaS such as SQL database, App Service, Event Hubs, and more
- Its VM extensions provide system-level metrics such as CPU, memory, and network usage for all Windows and Linux virtual machines.
- Gives insights into the application performance metrics of .NET applications
- Collects logs from cloud-based applications and analyzes them with its log management tool to provide in-depth insights
- Comes with 100+ plugin extensions
Pricing: The starter pack is priced at $9/month/resource. The cost will increase as you add more services and resources.
Download: Click here to get started.
4. Datadog Azure Monitoring
Datadog has advanced azure monitoring capabilities to collect different metrics from your cloud resources and analyze them for advanced insights into the health and performance of your applications.
The salient features of Datadog’s Azure monitoring capabilities are:
- No agent installation is required
- Gathers metrics from Azure VMs, including device-specific information such as location
- Collects information from every sub-integration as well
- It’s easy to integrate Datadog with your Azure
- The metrics are analyzed to provide detailed insights that come in handy to make crucial decisions and know your applications’ health and performance.
- Provides automated scripts
- Maps the legacy and cloud-based systems to provide a unified experience
- Streamlines single sign-on from your Azure portal
- Works well with DevOps workflows and pipelines
Pricing: Datadog offers three comprehensive plans.
- Free – $0 – Supports up to five hosts and retains metrics for just a day
- Pro – $15/host/month – Supports 450+ integrations and retains metrics for15 months
- Enterprise – $23/host/month – Provides machine learning-based alerts and advanced controls
Download: Click here for a free trial.
5. ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine Applications Manager is an out-of-the-box monitoring solution for your Azure platform. It proactively monitors the KPIs of your Azure environment and aggregates the metrics to give you a comprehensive idea of your platform’s performance.
The features of ManageEngine Applications Manager are as follows:
- Provides rich and actionable insights into your Azure environment
- The root cause analyzer helps to resolve issues faster and more efficiently by pinpointing the accurate cause of different problems
- Responds to critical events by sending alerts as a text message or email, depending on your configuration
- It makes it easy to auto-scale your cloud resources based on the system load
- Identifies the idle resources so that you can save on costs
- Integrates well with ITSM tools such as ServiceNow for a more streamlined approach to resolving errors
- You have the option to configure the baselines for acceptable performance
- Points out improper resource allocations
- Prevents downtime and increased latency
- Sends detailed information about threats and vulnerabilities
- Ensures the continuous availability of your Azure databases
- Provides deep visibility into your storage accounts
Pricing: Fill this form to get a custom quote.
Download: Click here to download a free trial version.
OpsView gives clear visibility into your Azure services so that you can use them well for your business requirements. It consolidates all notifications and metrics in a single place and sends notifications if any values fall below the established threshold levels.
The features of OpsView are:
- Provides a configuration wizard to set it up in your system quickly
- Easily identifies hosts on your Azure environment
- Monitors all the metrics you need to use Azure efficiently.
- Stays on top of the health and performance of the Elastic database features of Azure
- Comes with seven service checks for Azure virtual machines
- Has a host of tools for monitoring different Azure tools.
- Integrates with third-party alerting and integration tools
Pricing: OpsView offers two plans, and they are OpsView Cloud and Enterprise. The first plan is ideal for companies that want to monitor 150 to 50,000 hosts, while the second plan is more suited for large enterprises that want to host more than 50,000 resources.
Download: Click here to schedule a demo.
ScienceLogic’s Azure monitoring tools analyze the performance and well-being of your Azure platform and all the services and applications that run on it. It identifies dependencies and gives you the appropriate insights to boost its performance.
Here’s a look at ScienceLogic’s Azure monitoring capabilities:
- Detects and diagnoses issues across the entire cloud infrastructure
- Maps the dependencies for quick reference
- Segments analytics into different criteria such as geography, technology, business, and more for a more refined and streamlined understanding
- Deep dives into log monitoring to help with troubleshooting
- Identifies resources that have been idle for a long time
- Diagnoses potential problems before end-users identify them
- Sends alerts to bring your attention to critical issues.
- Optimizes the performance of your applications
- Helps you to strategize the best way to get maximum value from your Azure platform
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here to request a demo.
Dynatrace comprehensively monitors the health of your entire Azure infrastructure and makes appropriate recommendations to improve its efficiency and performance.
Below are the features of Dynatrace:
- Comes with automatic and intelligent observability to identify problems as soon as they crop up. You can address them at the earliest to ensure that there are no disruptions to the end-users.
- Supports more than 500 technologies
- Provides the broadest multi-cloud and technology support
- Automatically discovers dependencies and maps them in context
- Provides visibility into the health and performance of hosts, containers, traces, and logs.
- Has out-of-the-box support for cloud-native architectures
- Intelligently monitors all the services running on Azure Cloud
- Solves Azure issues faster
- Automatically captures transactions across every tier
- Its AI capabilities adapt as the environment changes
- Automates CI/CD to speed up pipeline
- Shortens innovation cycles
- Accelerates Azure cloud migrations
Pricing: Dynatrace offers six plans, and they are:
- Full-stack monitoring- $69 a month for an 8GB host
- Infrastructure monitoring – $21/month for an 8Gb host
- Digital Experience Monitoring – $11/month for 10k digital experience monitoring units
- Application security – $10/month for an 8GB host
- Open ingestion – $25k/month for 100k Davis Data Units
- Cloud Automation – Contact the sales team
Download: Click here for a free trial.
AppDynamics offers advanced Azure monitoring tools that provide observability into the entire Azure landscape. It troubleshoots performance issues and optimizes all the applications that run on it.
Here’s a look at the features offered by AppDynamics:
- Monitors fast-growing applications at scale
- Gives complete visibility into applications built on .NET, .NET Core, Azure services, and serverless functions.
- Automatically discovers applications and their dependencies
- Baselines the performance of different cloud applications
- Visualizes real-time interactions of every dependency
- Paves the way for an efficient and streamlined Azure migration and ensures that it doesn’t impact the end-users
- Leverages serverless APM for Azure functions
- Instruments code right out of the box
Pricing: AppDynamics offers four pricing plans, and they are as follows:
- Infrastructure Monitoring Edition – $6 per month per CPU core
- Premium Edition – $60 per month per CPU core
- Enterprise Edition – $90 per month per CPU core
- Accurate User Monitoring – $0.06 per month per 1000 tokens
Download: Click here for a free trial.
LogicMonitor is a comprehensive tool that can prevent outages and optimize your IT resources for gleaning better value from them. It integrates with 2000 services, including Azure, to gather metrics and analyze them for in-depth analytics.
The salient features of LogicMonitor related to Azure monitoring are:
- The Azure monitoring module can be used out-of-the-box with little to no additional effort or configurations
- Monitors Azure-hosted infrastructure’s performance metrics
- Builds dashboards to display the data that’s most critical for your organization
- Simplifies cloud monitoring with its easy-to-use interface and extensive functionality
- Delivers complete visibility into the health and performance of Azure applications
- Uses Resource Performance monitoring, Azure monitoring, and ROI monitoring modules to provide end-to-end visibility
- Streamlines migrations and makes them more manageable and predictable
- Gives instant visibility into your deployments
- Ensures compliance with the existing monitoring standards
Pricing: LogicMonitor offers two plans, namely,
- Pro – Up to 199 devices
- Enterprise – 200+ devices
Click here to get a quote for each.
Download: Click here to try it for free.
To conclude, Azure monitoring tools come with advanced capabilities to provide all the insights you need about the performance of your Azure environment, using which you can make better decisions, optimize the working, reduce costs, and more.
The tools mentioned above are some of the best in this space, and we hope the detailed explanation of its features was useful in helping you decide the right one for your organization.