Finding a the Best Virtualization Manager Software to Monitor and utilize your hyper-visor to its fullest is Crucial in any environment.
Virtualization offers a ton of benefits in the form of cost saving, improved performance, reduced workloads and increased efficiency in business operations.
This is why it’s an integral part of every business today.
Here is our list of the best VM Monitoring software:
- SolarWinds VM Monitor – FREE TOOL A free monitoring tool for Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare vSphere. The abilities of the system extend to an alerting mechanism that monitors the quality of virtualization performance. Installs on Windows Server.
- Site24x7 VMware Monitoring – FREE TRIAL A monitor for networks, servers, and applications that includes the monitoring of virtualizations and containers. This is a cloud-based service.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager – FREE TRIAL A monitor for applications that covers virtualizations, including VMWare and Hyper-V. Installs on Windows Server and Linux.
- ManageEngine OpManager – FREE TRIAL A network and server monitor that includes monitoring for VMWare, Hyper-V, Citrix, and Nutanix virtualizations. Available for Windows Server and Linux.
- IntelliMagic Vision – FREE TRIAL This system monitor drills through VMWare virtual structure, into a storage fabric, and through to the resources of underlying physical resources to create a full stack view of virtualization performance. Offered as a virtual appliance or as a cloud platform.
- Datadog Infrastructure An app stack monitor that covers all services from user interfaces down to the server operating system and has integrations that monitor the major virtualization brands. This is a cloud-based system.
- VMWare vRealize Operation Manager This is a monitoring system for VMWare products, including vShpere, vCloud, and Kubernetes containers. Runs on top of VMWare hypervisors or can be subscribed to as a cloud SaaS.
- Veeam ONE Monitors virtualizations by VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV plus backup systems. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
At the same time, the maintenance and management of these virtual machines have to be handled well because they are critical for the very operations of a business. In other words, these virtual machines can never go down, or for that matter, even slow down.
To manage these virtual devices and to ensure they are up and running always, you need a proactive and comprehensive virtualization manager.
Here’s a look at some of the best virtualization managers for different virtualization software such as Hyper-V, VMWare, ESXi and more. These Reviews and Features are a good starting point for choosing which one you should implement in your network and we highly suggest you download and start monitoring today.
Here’s the Best VM Management & Monitoring Software/Tools of 2021:
SolarWinds VM Monitor is a FREE TOOL and it monitors VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V host and all the virtual machines associated with the host.
Some of the key features of this tool include:
- Helps to view many metrics such as CPU usage, memory usage, network usage, configured VMs and running VMs.
- Uses best practice measures to monitor virtualized servers
- Prevents performance degradation by closely monitoring the specified metrics
- Allows to view the complete details of every VM.
- Gives the option to set custom thresholds and alerts to get information on the health of virtual machines
A paid tool called Virtualization Manager offers a more comprehensive control over virtual machines. It constantly assesses the environment to identify problems and even offers solutions to fix them. The cost of this tool starts at $2,995.
Price: Free VM Monitor Tool, Download Below!
Official Download: FREE Version:
Site24x7 is a cloud-based monitoring service that covers networks, servers, and applications. This monitoring system also has the capability to monitor virtualizations and containers. The Site24x7 system can be extended by “integrations.” These are vendor-specific or resource-specific plugins. There are a number of integrations for virtualization products.
Virtualization integrations from Site24x7 include VMWare, Hyper-V, and Nutanix and also a plugin for Docker container monitoring. The Infrastructure system presents performance data related to the internal mappings of VMs to servers, the hypervisor system, and the server resources that support them.
Some of the VM monitoring features of Site24x7 are:
- A hosted service that includes processing power and storage in with the price of the software.
- No setup fees, deposit requirements or contacts with minimum service periods.
- Mapping of virtual machines to servers for VMWare and Hyper-V virtualizations.
- Monitoring of the Nutanix hyper-converged infrastructure system.
- Server resource monitoring.
- Alerts on performance metrics.
- System capacity exhaustion alerts.
- Problem notifications forwarded to technicians by SMS, email, voice call, or instant messaging post.
- Root cause analysis support.
- Customizable screens in a Web-based dashboard.
Ste24x7 Infrastructure isn’t limited to monitoring virtualizations, the bundle also includes network monitoring, which tracks the statuses of network devices through SNMP procedures. There is also a traffic monitor included in the system. Application monitoring extends to website performance testing with real user monitoring, synthetic transaction monitoring, and response and uptime monitors.
The services of Site24x7 Infrastructure are charged for by subscription, which can be paid monthly or yearly. Site247 offers a 30-day free trial of the Infrastructure monitor.
Price: Site24x7 costs $9 per month when paid annually.
Official Download: For more information and access to a 30-day free trial, visit:
ManageEngine Applications Manager includes the capability to monitor virtualizations. Specifically, the tool is designed to monitor VMWare, Hyper-V, Citrix, Red Hat Virtualization, and Kernel-based Virtual Machine.
Although this section of the Applications Manager is called the Virtual Machine Monitor, it covers virtualization servers as well as VMs. The monitor extracts live performance data from the virtualization and displays it in the console of the Applications Manager.
The main categories of information provided by the Virtual Machine Monitor are:
- Availability with a recent history over the past 6 hours.
- Physical server performance with the CPU and memory usage of the virtualization on the physical server.
- Recent disk and network usage, shown as a graph covering the last three hours.
- Drill down memory usage details
- Resource usage per VM showing the highest consumption according to CPU, memory, disk I/O, and network utilization.
The Applications Manager also provides analysis features for virtualizations that include historical analysis tools, for which, the system stores the performance metrics that it reaps as well as displaying that information live in the console.
There are three editions of the Applications Manager: Free, Professional, and Enterprise. The Free edition is limited to five monitors – remember the Applications Manager doesn’t just monitor virtualizations.
The Professional edition can monitor up to 500 applications, but not all at once. The Enterprise edition allows up to 10,000 monitors, running simultaneously.
ManageEngine offers a 30-day free trial of the Applications Manager.
Price: Get in touch with the sales team for a personalized quote.
Official Download: https://www.manageengine.com/products/applications_manager/download.html
ManageEngine OpManager is a network and server monitor that has the ability to track the performance of virtualization systems. It is able to monitor VMWare vShpere and ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, and Nutanix HCI.
The hypervisor monitor will identify each virtual server. Once you enter access credentials for each, it will then map the entire virtual infrastructure and start to record its performance.
The key features of OpManager are:
- Performance thresholds on VM resource usage.
- A list of the top 10 VMs for memory usage.
- A live visual representation of all virtual infrastructure.
- Alerts for conditions when virtualization statuses hit problems.
- Tracking of supporting host resources.
- Notifications by email or SMS for system issues.
- Full network monitoring with an autodiscovery feature.
- Network topology mapping.
Price: There are three versions in OpManager.
- The Free edition will monitor up to three devices.
- The Standard version can monitor up to 1,000 devices.
- The Enterprise version adds on distributed monitoring for multiple sites.
Contact ManageEngine to get a quote on either of the paid versions.
Download: You can download a 30-day free trial here.
IntelliMagic Vision is adept at tracking the complexities of virtualizations and hyper-converged environments. Its VMWare monitoring solution identifies all VMs and maps them to their virtual hosts. That’s a nice enough service, however, this monitor is able to drill further into virtualized environments, connecting to storage fabrics and tracing the interplay between the VMWare virtualization to the virtualized storage system. This continuity of tracking solves the problems that you might be facing when examining these two environments through separate monitoring systems.
Some of the features of IntelliMagic Vision are:
- Full-stack views of all virtualizations when where they link through to other virtual products from different suppliers.
- Performance monitoring on virtual machines and their hosts, examining resource availability and room for expansion.
- Tracking of VM support even when automation remaps them.
- Seamless crossing over the connections between infrastructure components.
- AI-based resource matching to identify service dependencies.
- Capacity alerts and issue alarms.
- Live monitoring plus historical analysis utilities.
- Links through to storage fabric mapping.
- Troubleshoots virtual and physical network connection problems.
- Options for on-premises or cloud installation.
As well as identifying the links between virtual resources, the IntelliMagic Vision system is able to examine configuration issues and spot settings that are badly defined and mapping strategies that are just not working. The IntelliMagic system uses AI processes to keep track of automatically adjusted mappings and boundaries and it also puts AI thinking into configuration analysis.
IntelliMagic rides the rails through to storage fabrics built on SAN or NAS designs. The entire virtual system is monitored for load issues and capacity demand. Alerts in the system draw your attention to evolving issues so you can take action before the whole system hits the buffers and users start calling.
The stack examination chains down through virtual dependencies through to the underlying physical resources so you can keep ahead of shortages and clear out space where necessary.
Price: Contact the Sales Department to get a quote.
Download: You can request a free trial of IntelliMagic Vision.
6. Datadog Infrastructure
Datadog Infrastructure is a SaaS tool that monitors servers and the applications that provide services to front-end assets. The system identifies app stacks that provide a chain of dependency right down to the operating system of the host. The tool is part of a wider platform of system monitoring utilities.
The Datadog strategy provides generalized tools that can be adapted by activating “integrations.” These provide extra services and screens to monitor specific vendor products or system services. There are free integrations available for Microsoft Hyper-V and VMWare vSphere.
Some of the features of Datadog Infrastructure are:
- An aggregated overview of all VMs and servers
- Automatic detection of the mappings of VMs to servers and real-world servers
- The capability to monitor cloud hypervisors as well as on-premises implementations
- The ability to combine monitoring for geographically dispersed systems
- A click-through feature that drills down to details views of each VM
- Load balancer monitoring
- Resizing and remapping suggestions
- The identification of abandoned VMs and spare capacity
- Alerts when capacity limits are approached
- Acceptable performance threshold alerts
Datadog Infrastructure also has extensive container monitoring capabilities. Outside of hypervisors, the tool will give you insights into all of your applications and their inter-dependencies, enabling root cause identification of front-end performance issues.
Datadog Infrastructure is available in three editions: Free, Pro, and Enterprise. All of them are capable of monitoring virtualizations. The Free version is limited to monitoring five servers and its data retention period is just one day. The Pro edition has a longer data retention period of 15 months. That edition and the Enterprise edition are priced per host. The Enterprise edition has extra features, such as AI-based automated performance threshold adjustments.
- Free $0
- Pro $15 per host per month
- Enterprise $23 per host per month
Official Download: For more information and access to a 14-day free trial, visit:
7. vRealize Operations Manager (vROps)
vRealize Operations Manager (vROps) monitors VMware devices to improve application performance, enhance efficiency and minimize disruptions. It provides insights into virtual devices using data collected from system resources.
As a result, it is easy to identify issues, even before a customer notices a problem. Along with identifying the issue, vROps also suggests corrective action, so the problem can be fixed right away.
Besides such proactive monitoring of virtual networks, vROps also comes with many other useful features.
- Helps to run hassle-free production operations
- Delivers continuous performance optimization
- Improves the efficiency of capacity management
- Offers deep insights to plan proactively
- Supports the planning, optimization and deployment of SDDC and multi-loud deployments
- Provides application-to-storage visibility across all physical, virtual and even cloud infrastructures.
- Comes with rich analytical tools to identify hidden issues and to find solutions to complex technical problems.
- Helps to identify the health of any single virtual object
vROps comes in three versions – standard, advanced and enterprise.
|Standalone||Per operating system instance (OSI)||Per operating system instance (OSI) or per processor (CPU)||Per operating system instance (OSI)|
|Suite availability||VMware vSphere with operations management||VMware vRealize Suite and vCloud suite standard, advanced.||VMware vRealize Suite and vCloud suite standard, enterprise.|
|Scale out operations platform||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Visualization options like reports, graphs and charts||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|vSphere security and compliance||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Real-time predictive capacity||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Data center cost views||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Support for private cloud and VMware Cloud on AWS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|vSAN overview and migration||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Automated failover of platform nodes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Customizable dashboards and reports||No||Yes||Yes|
|Automated and schedulable workload balancing||No||Yes||Yes|
|vSAN troubleshooting and capacity management||No||Yes||Yes|
|SDDC health management pack||No||Yes||Yes|
|vRealize Orchestrator management pack||No||Yes||Yes|
|Multi-cloud monitoring management pack||No||Yes||Yes|
|Care system analytics management pack||No||No||Yes|
|Application, middleware and database monitoring||No||No||Yes|
Pricing is based on the number of processors for standard and advanced editions, and per virtual machine for standard, advanced and enterprise editions.
Price: Get in touch with the sales team for a personalized quote.
Official Download: https://www.vmware.com/in/products/vrealize-operations.html
8. Veeam ONE
Veeam ONE is a good choice for both vSphere and Hyper-V. This tool also integrates well with other Veeam tools such as Veeam Backup & Replication to provide more advanced capabilities in physical and virtual environments.
Here’s a look at its important features.
- Continuously monitors virtual, physical and cloud-based environments in real-time
- Notifies users of availability and performance issues to avoid losses due to downtime.
- Meets the compliance standards for virtualization monitoring and management
- Evaluates the performance of infrastructure and makes appropriate recommendations
- Suggests configuration changes for best practices and for optimal utilization of resources
- Forecasts resource usage and utilization using “what if” modeling
- Comes with a real-time dashboard that has one-click and drill-down views.
- Isolates the root cause quickly to resolve issues
- Supports vCenter, vSphere, ESX, ESXi and Hyper-V
- Allows users to define configuration parameters, performance metrics and filters.
- Gives access to raw performance data and custom infrastructure reports
- Comes with a custom report builder that can pull data from any field in any report into a single document.
- Displays infrastructure performance and trends
Veeam ONE comes in two versions – free and enterprise. The free version can be downloaded here.
The enterprise version has more advanced monitoring capabilities when compared to the free version. Some of the additional features available in the enterprise version include:
- Assessment and reporting to determine if the installation of Veeam Backup & Replication meets best practices.
- Performance monitoring and alerting for Veeam Backup & Replication jobs
- Collection of all events recorded in Windows event log
- Creation of custom alarms to meet the unique needs of any virtual environment
- Capacity planning for Hyper-V and vSphere
- Chargeback capabilities for host resource usage, hardware, VM configuration and VM performance
- Multi-tenant reporting and monitoring
- Agent monitoring and reporting
- Automated report generation and delivery
- Customized report builder
- Predefined dashboard for backup
This version costs $900 per socket and comes with a 30-day free trial.
Price: $900 per Socket
Official Download: https://www.veeam.com/virtualization-management-one-solution-download.html
To conclude, Virtualization Manager Software is essential to have a complete control over any virtual environment.
This tool helps to plan and understand capacity utilization and at the same time, helps to prevent a virtualization sprawl. It also offers advanced monitoring options, elaborate reporting and more.
We recommend downloading a Trial/Free version of the tool that has the features you are looking for and get started on monitoring Virtual machines in your Environment – You’d be surprised at the insights that many of these tools provide right out of the box!