Monitoring your bandwidth in your network is crucial to understanding what is going on in your perimeter.
Many times you can catch malicious behavior and programs that have made their way into your network unbeknownst to you or your network monitoring systems.
Here is our list of the top five bandwidth monitoring tools:
- SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack – FREE TRIAL This bundle of on-premises monitoring software includes network device status checks, automated network discovery and mapping, plus traffic analysis. Runs on Windows Server.
- ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer – FREE TRIAL This software package provides network traffic monitoring that includes live reports and capacity planning features. Installs on Windows Server and Linux.
- Networx A lightweight monitoring tool that examines the network connections of its host. Runs on Windows, Windows Server, and macOS.
- Bitmeter II A free, lightweight tool that scans network connections and shows a live display of traffic throughput. Runs on Windows
- Bandwidth Monitor This network monitor for PCs will examine the performance of the networks to which the device is connected and can also query the local router. Runs on Windows.
The Top Bandwidth Monitoring Tools
What should you look for in bandwidth monitoring tools?
We reviewed the market for bandwidth monitoring software for tracking network usage and analyzed options based on the following criteria:
- The ability to communicate with switches using NetFlow and similar protocols
- Identification of traffic bottlenecks
- Network capacity planning assistance
- Traffic shaping measures
- End-to-end path analysis
- A free trial for a no-cost assessment opportunity
- Value for money from a network monitoring tool that offers competent service at a reasonable price
With these selection criteria in mind, we tracked down the best tools for bandwidth analysis that provide automated monitoring mechanisms to save you money.
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack solves the problem that most network monitors face when looking for a network monitor – do you want a network performance monitor or a network traffic monitor? This package offers both. The pack provides the SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor and the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.
- Network device monitoring
- Traffic pattern analysis
- Path analysis
- Protocol analysis
- SNMP reports
The Network Performance Monitor searches the network and documents all devices. It then draws up a network map. The NetFlow Traffic Analyzer puts flesh on that frame by providing ongoing traffic volume tracking.
- Identifies bandwidth hogs
- Shows bandwidth usage per application and per endpoint
- Records response times and packet loss
- Ping and Traceroute
- Alerts for performance problems
- Doesn’t offer cloud performance monitoring
These two packages combine to provide systems to monitor every aspect of your network. The systems integrate into a common interface and the software runs on Windows Server. SolarWinds offers the Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack for a 30-day free trial.
Official Site and Download Links: https://www.solarwinds.com/network-bandwidth-analyzer-pack
ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer is great for Network/Internet Bandwidth and Traffic monitoring that provides a real-time view into any Netflow, Sflow, jFlow, IPFIX and SNMP devices on your network on a device or interface level.
- NetFlow, sFlow, J-Flow, AppFlow, Netstream, and IPFIX
- Examines each network device
- Extracts data once a minute
- IP SLA monitoring
Bandwidth utilization is tracked and recorded to view upload/download speeds and overall utilization.
The main features of this software include its Agentless design, historical usage trends and graphs, threshold alerting based on predetermined values (that are customizable), the ability to monitor Speed/Packets/Volume and Bandwidth. This tool has the ability to export bandwidth reports to XLS as well.
- Traffic prioritization for VoIP and interactive video
- Capacity analysis and forecasting
- Alerts for traffic pattern anomalies
- Traffic shaping measures
- Not a SaaS platform
Official Site and Download links: https://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/index-new.html
Related Post: Best IP Monitor Software & Tools
Networx utility is geared towards individual desktop monitoring rather than remote tracking of bandwidth like the others mentioned in this post.
- Single device monitoring
- Runs on Windows and macOS
- Listens to the network interface
If you want to monitor the bandwidth on your own PC or Desktop, then grab this tool and install it locally. It provides nice graphs of Speed, Usage and Quotas on a daily basis, as well as download speeds.
- Network activity reports
- Speed tests on demand or on a schedule
- File transfer tracking
- Only monitors the device on which it is installed
Official Site and Download links: Softperfect.com/products/networx/
4. Bitmeter II
Similar to the Networx software from above, BitMeter 2 gives you the ability to visually graph and track your internet connection on your own computer.
- Tracks internet performance
- Time-series graphs
- Free to use
Different colors represent wither Upload or Download speeds which update every second. You also have the ability to view Statistical information based on Hours, Days or Weeks.
- Captures live internet performance statistics
- Displays live activity in graphs
- Stores metrics for historical analysis
- Only monitors the internet for the computer it is installed on
Official Site and Download links: Codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2
5. Bandwidth Monitor
As many of the other utilities/tools mentioned here, BWMonitor tracks bandwidth only on the computer you install it on – instead of multiple computers as SolarWinds, Paessler PRTG and ManageEngine. BWMonitor features include a “speed stopwatch”, transfer speed/rate recorder and usage notifications.
- Network interface performance
- Usage warnings
- Bit rate monitor
It works with all the major releases of Windows including Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- Graphs for download and upload speeds
- Monitors Ethernet connections and wireless networks
- Compiles cumulative network usage statistics
- Only monitors the connections of the device it is installed on
Official Site and Download links: bwmonitor.com
Related Post: Best WiFi Heat Map Software