Monitoring your bandwidth in your network is crucial to understanding what is going on in your perimeter.
Many times you can catch malicious behavior and programs that have made their way into your network unbeknownst to you or your network monitoring systems.
Here is our list of the top bandwidth monitoring tools:
- SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack – FREE TRIAL This bundle of on-premises monitoring software includes network device status checks, automated network discovery and mapping, plus traffic analysis. Runs on Windows Server. Start a 30-day free trial.
- ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer – FREE TRIAL This software package provides network traffic monitoring that includes live reports and capacity planning features. Installs on Windows Server and Linux. Get a 30-day free trial.
- Site24x7 Network Monitoring – FREE TRIAL A SaaS package that provides network statistics gathering for traffic analysis and also provides support for traffic shaping.Start the 30-day free trial.
- Networx A lightweight monitoring tool that examines the network connections of its host. Runs on Windows, Windows Server, and macOS.
- Bitmeter II A free, lightweight tool that scans network connections and shows a live display of traffic throughput. Runs on Windows
- Bandwidth Monitor This network monitor for PCs will examine the performance of the networks to which the device is connected and can also query the local router. Runs on Windows.
Methodology for selecting the Best Bandwidth Monitoring Software
Bandwidth monitoring software is an essential tool for any business or organization that needs to track and manage its network traffic. It helps organizations identify potential threats, monitor usage, prevent data theft, and ensure compliance with regulatory standards. It also allows users to optimize network performance by identifying bottlenecks, improving bandwidth utilization, and reducing latency. With the right bandwidth monitoring software, businesses can get a better understanding of how their networks are being used and take steps to improve efficiency.
The software helps calculate how much available capacity of network equipment is used by traffic. When selecting the best bandwidth monitoring software, it is important to consider a number of factors in order to make an informed decision. These factors include the type of network being monitored, the size of the network, the cost associated with using the software and its features, as well as its ease of use.
Additionally, it is important to consider whether or not the software can be integrated into existing systems and if any additional hardware or software is needed for its operation. By taking all these factors into account, businesses can ensure that they select a monitoring solution that meets their specific requirements and provides them with accurate data about their networks. We have selected some of the best bandwidth monitoring software based on different criteria that one must take into consideration when selecting a tool for their organization.
- Check if the selected tools allow using traffic sampling protocols like NetFlow
- Does the tool offer alert options that instantly notify on reaching full capacity?
- What techniques are available for traffic shaping?
- Can a user upgrade to the comprehensive paid plan?
- For capacity planning, does it support traffic analysis tools?
- Can you monitor traffic from point to point?
- Can you view traffic per link?
- Does it support time-series maps that display traffic volume?
- Check if it operates with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
With the right solution, you can save time and effort in discovering issues. So, follow our methodologies when selecting bandwidth monitoring software from the available options in the market.
The Top Bandwidth Monitoring Tools
What should you look for in bandwidth monitoring tools?
We reviewed the market for bandwidth monitoring software for tracking network usage and analyzed options based on the following criteria:
- The ability to communicate with switches using NetFlow and similar protocols
- Identification of traffic bottlenecks
- Network capacity planning assistance
- Traffic shaping measures
- End-to-end path analysis
- A free trial for a no-cost assessment opportunity
- Value for money from a network monitoring tool that offers competent service at a reasonable price
With these selection criteria in mind, we tracked down the best tools for bandwidth analysis that provide automated monitoring mechanisms to save you money.
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack solves the problem that most network monitors face when looking for a network monitor – do you want a network performance monitor or a network traffic monitor? This package offers both. The pack provides the SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor and the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.
- Network device monitoring
- Traffic pattern analysis
- Path analysis
- Protocol analysis
- SNMP reports
The Network Performance Monitor searches the network and documents all devices. It then draws up a network map. The NetFlow Traffic Analyzer puts flesh on that frame by providing ongoing traffic volume tracking.
- Identifies bandwidth hogs
- Shows bandwidth usage per application and per endpoint
- Records response times and packet loss
- Ping and Traceroute
- Alerts for performance problems
- Doesn’t offer cloud performance monitoring
These two packages combine to provide systems to monitor every aspect of your network. The systems integrate into a common interface and the software runs on Windows Server. SolarWinds offers the Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack for a 30-day free trial.
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack is the perfect solution for network administrators who need to monitor and analyze their network bandwidth. With this software, you can easily detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance issues. The software is designed to provide comprehensive visibility into your network traffic so that you can identify potential bottlenecks and optimize performance.
It also offers advanced features such as real-time alerting, detailed reporting, and automated baselining capabilities. SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack provides an easy-to-use interface that makes it easy to quickly get started monitoring your network bandwidth.
One can easily discover bandwidth hogs on a network and track the usage via SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack. The solution provides flexible deployment options, WLC traffic monitoring, CBQoS policy optimization, Wireless network monitoring and management, full insights, quick alerts, and critical path visualization via NetPath. Overall, SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Pack is a great solution that can resolve multi-vendor network performance issues.
Official Site: https://www.solarwinds.com/network-bandwidth-analyzer-pack
OS: Windows server
Official Site and Download Links: https://www.solarwinds.com/network-bandwidth-analyzer-pack
ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer is great for Network/Internet Bandwidth and Traffic monitoring that provides a real-time view into any Netflow, Sflow, jFlow, IPFIX and SNMP devices on your network on a device or interface level.
- NetFlow, sFlow, J-Flow, AppFlow, Netstream, and IPFIX
- Examines each network device
- Extracts data once a minute
- IP SLA monitoring
Bandwidth utilization is tracked and recorded to view upload/download speeds and overall utilization.
The main features of this software include its Agentless design, historical usage trends and graphs, threshold alerting based on predetermined values (that are customizable), the ability to monitor Speed/Packets/Volume and Bandwidth. This tool has the ability to export bandwidth reports to XLS as well. Get a 30-day free trial.
- Traffic prioritization for VoIP and interactive video
- Capacity analysis and forecasting
- Alerts for traffic pattern anomalies
- Traffic shaping measures
- Not a SaaS platform
Official Site and Download links: https://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/index-new.html
Related Post: Best IP Monitor Software & Tools
Site24x7 Network Monitoring is a module on a cloud platform of system monitoring tools. This service uses SNMP to discover all of the devices on a network and then continuously monitors their statuses. The package creates a network inventory and topology map.
- Device discovery, inventory, and network mapping
- NetFlow, sFlow, J-Flow, CFlow, IPFIX, AppFlow, and NetStream
- VoIP QoS tracking
- Full stack monitoring
The package is able to communicate with network devices of any brand, thanks to its capabilities in multiple statists protocols. The system will also show IP SLA and MOS values for VoIP quality of service tracking.
The full package of a Site24x7 subscription also gives you server and application monitoring and there are plans that include log management or website monitoring. You can try any Site24x7 plan with a 30-day free trial.
- Network capacity planning support
- Alerts for performance problems
- Root cause analysis
- No system management functions
Networx utility is geared towards individual desktop monitoring rather than remote tracking of bandwidth like the others mentioned in this post.
- Single device monitoring
- Runs on Windows and macOS
- Listens to the network interface
If you want to monitor the bandwidth on your own PC or Desktop, then grab this tool and install it locally. It provides nice graphs of Speed, Usage and Quotas on a daily basis, as well as download speeds.
- Network activity reports
- Speed tests on demand or on a schedule
- File transfer tracking
- Only monitors the device on which it is installed
Official Site and Download links: Softperfect.com/products/networx/
5. Bitmeter II
Similar to the Networx software from above, BitMeter 2 gives you the ability to visually graph and track your internet connection on your own computer.
- Tracks internet performance
- Time-series graphs
- Free to use
Different colors represent wither Upload or Download speeds which update every second. You also have the ability to view Statistical information based on Hours, Days or Weeks.
- Captures live internet performance statistics
- Displays live activity in graphs
- Stores metrics for historical analysis
- Only monitors the internet for the computer it is installed on
Official Site and Download links: Codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2
6. Bandwidth Monitor
As many of the other utilities/tools mentioned here, BWMonitor tracks bandwidth only on the computer you install it on – instead of multiple computers as SolarWinds, Paessler PRTG and ManageEngine. BWMonitor features include a “speed stopwatch”, transfer speed/rate recorder and usage notifications.
- Network interface performance
- Usage warnings
- Bit rate monitor
It works with all the major releases of Windows including Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- Graphs for download and upload speeds
- Monitors Ethernet connections and wireless networks
- Compiles cumulative network usage statistics
- Only monitors the connections of the device it is installed on
Official Site and Download links: bwmonitor.com
Related Post: Best WiFi Heat Map Software