Have you ever noticed that your WiFi connection speeds are not the same across your entire home or office?
Well, that’s because your WiFi Signals are often blocked by large infrastructures such as walls or furniture. This is why some parts of your house have a good connection while other parts often see dropped connections and mediocre speeds.
A few areas are signal dead zones and you can’t access your Wi-Fi from these areas. As a user, you’ll have to do a lot of guesswork to know which are the dead signal zones so you can avoid them altogether. This is time-consuming and often frustrating as well.
So, how can you Overcome this problem?
A WiFi heat map is a good starting point as it shows the coverage and strength of your wireless connection in every area. Most tools available today show a map of your area overlaid by a representation of the wireless signal. Also, these tools generate excellent reports that give you a detailed idea about the coverage and performance of your Wi-Fi network.
On this map, you can see the areas that have the highest strength as well as the signal dead zones, and based on this, you can plan your Wi-Fi layout and coverage. This obviously takes out the guesswork and frustration of dropped connections.
The Best WiFi Heat Map Sofwtare & Tools of 2019:
There are many Wi-Fi heat map tools available today, and some of the best ones are listed below, so Let’s take a detailed look into each of these tools:
1. SolarWinds NPM
SolarWinds is a company known for its top-of-the-line monitoring systems that help you stay on top of the performance of every application in your business. It’s widely popular Network Performance Monitor provides Wi-Fi heat maps as well, to help plan your layout better.
The features of SolarWinds’ Network Performance Monitor are:
- Creates custom heat maps by polling signal strength from adjacent access points and connected clients. It is much faster and more accurate than a manual survey of wireless strength overlaid on a physical map.
- Easily identifies dead signal zones
- Makes adjustments to improve wireless coverage
- Locates all mobiles devices connected to your Wi-Fi, provided it is within three meters from your network.
- As a bonus, you get to tap into all the powerful features of Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor
SolarWinds NPM starts at $2,995.
You can download a free trial here.
NetSpot is a wireless site survey and Wi-Fi Analyzer tool that works well on Mac OS X and Windows. It is compliant with any 802.11 networks.
Some of the important features in NetSpot are:
- Collects information about surrounding Wi-Fi networks and presents this information in an interactive table.
- Allows to troubleshoot and improve your network’s coverage and performance.
- Customizable noise charts show the changes in real-time.
- Helps to locate Wi-Fi issues in specific spots.
- Helps to know your busiest and least-used channels.
- Color-coded bars helps to analyze the performance of all Wi-Fi networks.
- You can save all this data is a CSV file for review.
- Allows you to create multiple zones for each project.
- Comes with extensive recommendations to fix Wi-Fi problems
There are three editions.
- Home edition – Ideal for a single user. Comes with two zones and 50 data points per zone. Costs $49
- Pro edition – This is a single user license for a business. Comes with 50 zones and 500 data points per zone. Costs $149
- Enterprise edition – This is a business license for up to 10 users. Comes with unlimited zones and unlimited data points. Costs $499
Download NetSpot here.
3. Ekahau HeatMapper
Ekahau HeatMapper gives extensive details about your Wi-Fi coverage including information about the interfering networks and noise.
The features of Ekahau HeatMapper are:
- Helps to see Wi-Fi coverage on a map
- Finds all available networks in the vicinity
- Supports 802.11a,g,b and n
- Works on any Windows operating system
- Detects security settings
- Locates all the access points.
- Accurately designs a high-capacity Wi-Fi network just for you
- Eliminates interference issues and other performance bottlenecks
- Automatic reporting feature comes with many templates
- Works with Cisco, HP-Aruba and most other Wi-Fi network vendors.
Click here for custom pricing of the PRO version. The basic version is free.
Click here to download the basic version.
4. Acrylic Wi-Fi Heatmaps
Acrylic Wi-Fi Heatmaps are used to design, analyze and detect any problems with your Wi-Fi.
The features of this tool are:
- Designs Wi-Fi installations from scratch
- Calculates the number of access points needed and the best locations for each.
- Analyzes existing Wi-Fi infrastructure to analyze performance and coverage, and generates heat maps based on it.
- Displays 14 different parameters on the map.
- Verifies the quality and performance of your Wi-Fi networks.
- Generates reports in many formats
There are two distinct products, namely, Acrylic Wi-Fi Heatmaps and Acrylic Wi-Fi Professional. The first edition is used for designing, studying and improving Wi-Fi coverage while the second one is ideal to analyze, identify and resolve any Wi-Fi issues.
Pricing for Acrylic Wi-Fi Heatmaps are:
- $129 for one month
- $325 for three months
- $879 for one year
- $2199 for a perpetual license
Pricing for Acrylic Wi-Fi Professional are:
- $19.95 for one year
- $39.95 for a perpetual license
Apart from these two products, there is Acrylic Wi-Fi Home which is free for personal use.
Click here to download the trial version.
5. VisiWave Site Survey
VisiWave Site Survey analyzes your Wi-Fi network, create heatmaps to understand the coverage and more
The features of a VisWave Site Survey are:
- Provides three methods for capturing data: One point at a time, continuous coverage and GPS positioning.
- Comes with many custom reporting templates for presenting this information in a visually appealing manner.
- Provides a theoretical simulation of how Wi-Fi signals travel in your home or office. This helps to plan your outlay better.
- No extra hardware is needed and supports many wireless adapters.
- Shows how individual and color-coded wireless packets come together to form your wireless network.
The cost of VisiWave Site Survey is $549 and VisiWave Site Survey Pro is $849.
Click here to download the trial version.
6. AirMagnet Survey Pro
AirMagnet Survey Pro is a Wifi heat mapping software that makes it easy to deploy your Wi-Fi network correctly the first time.
AirMagnet Survey Pro comes with the following features.
- Visualizes heat maps for noise, packet losses, retry rates and interference in every floor.
- Displays the coverage and performance of every access point
- Maximizes the performance potential of 802.11 networks
- Helps to plan for the best performing Wi-Fi networks.
- Makes it easy to see if Wi-Fi signals are bleeding to other floors.
Contact the sales team for pricing
Click here to download the demo version.
To conclude, these WiFi heat maps give you an in-depth idea into the performance and coverage of your Wi-Fi network, so you never have to worry about dropped Wi-Fi connections and poor signal ever again.
Grab one or a Few of our Recommendations above to get a better understanding of how it runs in your situation and how to put an end to Dead Spots in your Wireless Networks and infrastructure by properly using a Wifi Heat map to understand your network.