Hyper-V or Hypervisor technology is a virtualization software from Microsoft that allows many virtual machines to run on it.
The hypervisor layer controls the hardware and is responsible for allocating resources to each virtual machine’s operating system.
Hyper-V is a popular choice among businesses today because it offers many advantages in the form of cost-saving and improved security.
It allows greater flexibility for businesses to get more out of their investments.
Here are some of the Best Hyper-V monitoring Software and Tools available today:
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager – FREE TRIAL Detect problems with Hyper-V and other virtualizations and then fix the with this package. Runs on Windows Server.
- PRTG Network Monitor – FREE TRIAL A virtualization monitoring service that is part of a wider bundle of server, application, and network monitors. Installs on Windows Server.
- SentryOne SQL Sentry – FREE TRIAL A Hyper-V monitoring system that is bundle in with an SQL Server monitor. Available for Windows Server or as an Azure service.
- ManageEngine OpManager – FREE TRIAL This software package monitors network devices, and virtual infrastructure, including Hyper-V virtualizations. Runs on Windows, Linux, AWS, or Azure.
- eG Enterprise A Hyper-V monitor that supports all models of virtualization deployment and enables IT technicians to detect problems early. Installs on Windows Server.
- Turbonomic A monitoring system that can monitor multiple hypervisors simultaneously. Operates as a virtual appliance on top of a VM.
- Dynatrace A cloud platform that offers a package of system monitors, including Hyper-V monitoring.
- LogicMonitor A cloud-based system monitoring service that monitors Hyper-V along with other applications, servers, and network services.
Though Hyper-V is a fairly secure and robust software, it is still prone to failures.
And when this happens, it can even bring down the entire network as many virtual machines run on it.
To avoid such catastrophic situations, consider monitoring this software with the right tools to stay on top of its health and performance.
Here are the Best Hyper-v Monitoring Software Tools:
Let’s take a detailed look into each of these tools, so you can decide the one that best fits your needs.
SolarWinds’ Virtualization Manager is a tool designed to effectively monitor, optimize, and fix performance issues.
- Gives complete visibility across all virtualization environments.
- Offers cloud infrastructure monitoring as well
- Addresses virtualization issues effectively
- Sends alerts on VM sprawls and makes the appropriate recommendations to contain this sprawl.
- A state-of-the-art dashboard allows you to resolve issues with a single click.
- Provides actionable intelligence for optimal VM size and placement.
- Helps to predict CPU, memory, and storage needs for different virtual environments and this can help with capacity planning.
- Quickly monitors and reports on vSAN capacity and performance.
- Provides real-time event correlation, alerting, reporting, and performance monitoring of all VMware environments.
Pricing: This tool starts at $2,995.
Download: Click here to download a 30-day fully-functional trial version.
PRTG Network Monitor gives you complete control over the working of your Hyper-V and ensures the performance of the same.
PRTG uses a sensor-based system for monitoring different aspects and it has a dedicated Hyper-V virtual machine sensor for monitoring the performance of your Hyper-V environment.
- Shows CPU usage in terms of percent of guests, hypervisor, and total.
- Displays IDE disk read and write speed in bytes per second.
- Monitors Hyper-V hosts, virtual machines, and clustered shared volumes
- Stays on top of traffic, CPU load, and virtual memory.
- Displays the critical status values of a Hyper-V host and sends alerts according to configuration.
- Increases the overall stability and reliability of virtual environments
- Avoids overloads and simplifies many complex virtualization projects.
Pricing: PRTG uses a sensor-based pricing model, so you pay according to the number of sensors you use. The tiered sensor-based pricing is as follows.
- First 100 sensors – free
- 500 sensors – $1,600
- 1000 sensors – $2,850
- 2500 sensors – $5,950
- 5000 sensors – $10,500
- Unlimited sensors on one server installation – $14,500
- Unlimited sensors on five server installations – $60,000
Download: Paessler offer a 30-day free trial of the software.
SentryOne SQL Sentry monitors Hyper-V virtualizations as well as SQL Server monitoring. This system is also able to monitor VMWare. Monitored service can be running on premises on servers with Windows or Linux operating system or on Amazon or Azure cloud platforms.
- Simultaneous monitoring of SQL Server, Hyper-V, operating systems, and server resources
- Performance of each virtual machine and host tracked
- Connections between hosts and guests revealed and monitored.
- Live performance monitoring for CPU, memory, and disk I/O activity
- Historical analysis utility
- Monitors systems running on Windows, Linux, Amazon, and Azure
- Monitoring for Hyper-V and VMWare
- Alerts spot performance issues early
Pricing: Contact the Sales Department of SentryOne to get a quote.
Official Download: You can register for a 14-day free trial.
ManageEngine OpManager provides monitoring and management services for network devices and servers. It also monitors virtual environments, such as virtual servers on the cloud, virtual machines, hyperconverged systems, and containers. The virtual services that this package can track include those created by Hyper-V.
- Provides more than 40 live monitors for Hyper-V in one screen
- Customizable dashboard layout
- Spots and removes abandoned or never used (zombie) VMs
- Detects physical server resource usage and availability
- Manages memory allocation
- Creates a virtual inventory and maps the virtual infrastructure
- Raises alerts for performance problems
Pricing: There are five editions of OpManager
- Free – $0 to cover three devices but doesn’t monitor Hyper-V
- Standard – $245 to cover 10 devices but doesn’t monitor Hyper-V
- Professional – $345 to cover 10 devices and does monitor Hyper-V
- Enterprise – $11,545 to cover 250 devices and it does monitor Hyper-V
- MSP – $795 to cover 50 devices and includes Hyper-V monitoring
All of the paid plans can have a greater capacity for a higher fee.
Download: Get a 30-day free trial of this software package that is available for Windows, Linux, AWS, or Azure.
5. eG Enterprise
eG Enterprise is a comprehensive Hyper-V monitoring solution for managing and monitoring all aspects of Hyper-V farms, regardless of whether it is used to support virtual servers or virtual desktop applications.
Source: eG Enterprise
- Uses a 100% web-based architecture.
- Offers end-to-end monitoring of Hyper-V virtual infrastructure
- You can choose between agent-based and agentless monitoring options
- Pre-defined and extensive models are available for monitoring the different components of a Hyper-V farm.
- Provides real-time insights into the performance of Hyper-V machines.
- Comes with root cause diagnosis capability.
- Supports mixed environments.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here for a trial version.
Turbonomic is a single platform for managing multiple hypervisors and helps to get more out of fixed infrastructure capacity.
- Single platform for managing multiple VM environments
- Offers automated placement, sizing, and provisioning to boost optimal performance
- Makes intelligent reservations for new workloads
- Provides a complete understanding of all end-to-end relationships ranging from applications to storage and provisioning of network resources.
- Easily aligns with your policies and approach.
- Supports scalability
Pricing: Contact the customer team for pricing.
Download: Click here to download a 30-day free trial
Dynatrace is a comprehensive tool for monitoring and managing any Hyper-V environment.
- Gives an interactive map of your dynamic Hyper-V environments to improve the quality of your decisions.
- Optimizes the storage and performance of your virtual environments.
- Automatically analyzes the problems related to your Hyper-V environment and suggests the solutions for the same.
- Monitoring is automatic and will scale to your infrastructure changes and needs.
- Analyzes performance problems and points to their root cause.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here to download a free trial version.
LogicMonitor provides an automatic monitoring solution for Hyper-V systems.
- Monitoring is easy, and all that you have to do is enter your Windows Hyper-V server hostname. All information related to your server will be discovered automatically.
- Continuously monitors the health and performance of hypervisor, storage devices, virtual machines, virtual network adapters, virtual switches, and more.
- Gathers a ton of information about your virtual environment and this will help you to make intelligent decisions.
- Gives complete visibility into your Hyper-V environment.
- Sends alerts based on predefined thresholds.
- Tracks CPU utilization, memory usage, storage performance, and network throughput.
Pricing: There are three editions, namely, Starter, Pro, and Enterprise. The Starter edition is ideal for 50 devices, Pro for 100 devices, and Enterprise for 200 devices respectively. Contact the customer team for a quote.
Download: Click here to download a 14-day trial version.
To conclude, Hyper-V software is one of the most popular choices to set up a virtual environment, so a business can get more efficiency and output from its investments.
Also, this software becomes a critical aspect of an organization’s IT setup, so it is important to ensure that Hyper-V performs optimally at all times.
The best way to do that is to use an automated monitoring tool that will stay on top of its health and performance at all times.
The above-mentioned tools come with advanced features to give you complete control over your Hyper-v software and its performance.