Cloud services have changed the future of Internet technology. The demand for cloud-based services continues to increase, and so do the risk and challenges associated with it. Most businesses are connecting with third-party vendors to host data and applications, which also increases the need for protecting sensitive information.
To meet these demands, some IT departments are also switching from on-premise solutions to cloud security providers like Google Apps, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Microsoft Azure. Service providers give businesses the opportunity to access their applications and files at any time without having to purchase hardware or software upfront.
In a way, many companies are constantly adjusting and adopting new services to combat the new challenges. But how can you remain agile when security threats are evolving faster than ever?
To keep your organization secure while enabling agility, you need a modern and easy-to-use endpoint security solution that covers all your bases. With so many options available today, it can be challenging to determine which one is right for your company.
Hence, we have selected Palo Alto Networks’ GlobalProtect, a VPN solution that provides protection to remote workers and mobile devices. It is a flexible and secure platform that prevents attackers from reaching the endpoint and exploiting resources.
GlobalProtect also helps create precise and consistent security policies that reduce remote access blindspots. Here we will discuss GlobalProtect in detail, covering its features, benefits, price, and drawbacks.
We have also shortlisted a few alternatives to GlobalProtect that can be beneficial for your company.
What is GlobalProtect?
With businesses moving to digital platforms, having a secure network connection is critical for businesses and organizations of all sizes. Nowadays, companies store most of their data in the cloud, hence it is essential to look for tools and platforms that will provide 24/7 protection. Current endpoint antivirus and VPN technologies are no longer enough to stop threats.
However, GlobalProtect is a secure, user-friendly web-based application that can be used to remotely manage and secure a Windows “Domain” network. It offers in-depth visibility and protection to network connections. Thus, over time it is turning out to be a great solution to keep the mobile workforce secure.
The best part about the platform is it helps create a secure SSL or IPsec VPN connection. Further, it supports multi-factor authentication features to protect the mobile workforce, regardless of your location. Further, Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect™ offers advanced threat protection and enables businesses to secure their internet traffic and prevent attackers from reaching the endpoints.
It allows users to make optimum use of its next-generation firewall capabilities and gain access to all the incoming and outgoing traffic, devices, or applications. With GlobalProtect, users can keep track of all web activities and prepare themselves beforehand for upcoming threats.
Another feature that makes GlobalProtect a top choice is it is secure and privacy-conscious, meaning there is no risk of exposing sensitive information with the use of the tool. It provides centralized control over all of your network devices and allows access to all areas of your network in one location.
Choosing the right VPN solution for your business is not an easy task, as the user needs to look for various factors before finalizing a product. First, a VPN service must be easy to use. Unfortunately, this is often not the case for free services. In addition to being easy to set up, a good VPN service should also provide plenty of options and customization options.
Secondly, a few VPN service providers offer advanced features like double encryption or DNS protection.
GlobalProtect, however, fulfills all the basic requirements. Additionally, it filters malicious domains and prevents the use of avoidance and evasion tools. Users can customize access control for BYOD and third-party devices using this powerful tool.
It also supports encryption techniques that scramble data so that it can’t be read by anyone other than the intended recipient. It helps keep sensitive information like credit card numbers or personal emails safe from prying eyes.
Further, it supports a few advanced features only under the licensed version, including IPv6 support, HIP checks, and content updates.
Delta Air Lines, Freedom Financial, CRB, Vizio, and Macquarie Group are some of the top companies that are currently using Palo Alto Networks’ GlobalProtect.
Why Organizations Should Choose GlobalProtect
GlobalProtect is one of the trusted platforms that provide in-depth visibility and updates as to who is accessing an organization’s network and prevent phishing and other threats. It secures all incoming and outgoing traffic via multi-factor authentication.
- Identity-based access control
- Zero Trust Network Access
- Easy-to-use interface
- Offers multi-layer protection
- Device Identification
- IPv6 support
- HIP checks and content updates
- Granular access control
- Intranet traffic security
- Extra-firewall intelligence
- Policy Management
- HIP-based policy enforcement
- Multiple external gateways
- Single internal gateways
- Clientless VPN
- Split DNS
- Mobile Application Traffic Inspection
- Mobile endpoint protection
- Comprehensive security
- Better visibility
- A flexible, user-friendly, and secure VPN solution
- Prevents data from phishing and credential thefts
- Secures Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD)
- Stops advanced threats
- Supports multi-factor authentication
- URL Filtering
There are many advantages of choosing GlobalProtect over other endpoint security solutions. Its multi-layer protection feature, granular access control, and in-depth visibility into the devices, applications and users make it a top choice among businesses.
With Palo Alto Networks’ GlobalProtect, businesses can also measure device health and security posture. Further, it allows users to identify and control access to unmanaged devices, making it a unique product for enterprises.
Let’s have a look at some of its Pros and Cons:
- GlobalProtect offers full visibility across all ports, devices, users, and applications.
- It helps reduce remote access blindspots.
- Provides consistent security policies to users regardless of their location.
- Protects resources and corporate sensitive data from phishing techniques, credential theft, and other threats.
- Restrict and allows access only based on enterprise needs.
- GlobalProtect is an easy-to-deploy and use endpoint security solution.
- Offers granular access controls.
- Supports authoritative user and device identification features.
- Identifies and controls access for unmanaged devices.
- It helps secure your intranet traffic.
- GlobalProtect helps measure device health and security posture.
- It helps enterprises enforce security policies using next-generation technologies.
- Users can access the tool from anywhere in the world with a strong internet connection.
- It helps create a secure SSL or IPsec VPN connection for businesses.
- The tool occasionally switches off or disconnects and takes time to recreate the connection.
- Sometimes requires users to update the VPN certification manually in LAN.
You do not require any GlobalProtect license if looking forward to a tool that offers secure remote access or a virtual private network (VPN) solution through its single/multiple gateways.
However, to use some of its advanced features, including IPv6 support, HIP checks, and content updates, one must purchase the GlobalProtect Gateway License.
For more details on pricing, contact the sales team and get an accurate estimate for the service.
If you are looking for an alternate solution to GlobalProtect, here are a few options that can work best for you:
- Perimeter 81 – ACCESS FREE DEMO Another Secure Web Gateway that prevents network and endpoints from malicious infections. It is an easy-to-deploy tool that supports web filtering, URL filtering, DNS filtering, and other features making it the best solution to protect your resources. Further, it enables businesses to monitor all web and employee activity and identify and block harmful or inappropriate sites in real-time. Today’s digital businesses require a new way of thinking about security infrastructure, and Perimeter 81 fulfills that need. It adheres to the highest standards of software security compliance and provides full-time protection to your resources from a single dashboard. Star with a free demo.
- Fortinet One of the leading vendors of network security solutions that offer protection to devices and users against cyber threats. It comprises excellent features and provides multi-layer protection services making it a great solution. Today’s business landscape is constantly changing, and companies need to stay one step ahead of hackers, cybercriminals, and other malicious actors. In that case, having a tool like Fortinet that supports SSL Inspection, granular control, provides DNS security, and web security posture across the entire infrastructure is great. It also has various sub-products that enable businesses to secure remote users and network edges.
- Lookout Also a great alternative to GlobalProtect used by businesses to protect data against malicious websites and content. Enterprises can monitor and inspect all incoming and outgoing web traffic using this powerful tool. Lookout Secure Web Gateway is one of the leading unified security platforms that provides a single policy framework to control and manage all apps and traffic over the network. It also supports various features, including data encryption, URL filtering, and content filtering, and supports integration with major cloud apps. With the help of this tool, businesses can quickly identify and respond to insider threats. Another benefit of choosing Lookout is it ensures that all the data is encrypted and can be accessed only by authorized users.
- Barracuda CloudGen Access A solution for access management and user provisioning. The software uses cloud infrastructure to manage the identities of users and computers in your organization. Creating, resetting, and revoking passwords is made simple with the help of Barracuda CloudGen Access. You can assign permissions and access levels to different users based on their job function or location. Further, it provides comprehensive protection to cloud and hybrid networks and supports various advanced features making it a great alternative to GlobalProtect. You can also mitigate breach risks and ensure business continuity using this tool. It also integrates with Active Directory and other identity providers for a smoother setup, without needing to install new software on your network or change network configurations.
- SecureW2 A WPA2-based Wi-Fi system that is created to make your Wi-Fi network more secure. This system requires no configuration, and the device can be used to connect multiple devices at once to the same Wi-Fi network. By using WPA2, you can rest assured that your device will be protected against cyber-attacks. SecureW2 is also easy to set up and use, so it’s an excellent choice for anyone who wants to protect their Wi-Fi network from hackers. When you purchase SecureW2, you get a device that connects to your router via an Ethernet cable. This device can then be used to create a secure network that only allows devices with WPA2 connectivity to connect. Further, you can use it to connect other devices that have a WPA2 interface with each other or with a router or modem.
Many people choose to use a VPN service to protect their privacy and security. While it is true that a VPN can help protect your privacy by encrypting all of your data, some features can make the process even better.
Palo Alto Networks’ GlobalProtect is a VPN solution that remotely manages and secures a Windows “Domain” network. It is an easy-to-use endpoint security solution that covers all your bases, provides in-depth visibility, and keeps the mobile workforce secure.
Users can also create and practice consistent security policies that reduce remote access blindspots. Further, it helps filter malicious domains and protect resources from known and unknown threats.
But, still, most companies look for alternatives. Hence, we have shortlisted some of the top alternatives that deliver similar services and functions.
Perimeter 81, Fortinet, Lookout, Barracuda CloudGen Access, and SecureW2 are some of the trusted secure web gateways.
Fortinet provides full-time protection and keeps you stay ahead of hackers, cybercriminals, and other malicious actors. It also offers DNS security and web security posture across the entire infrastructure.
Perimeter 81, on the other hand, enables businesses to monitor all web activity, and identify and block malicious sites in real-time. Similarly, Lookout supports various features such as data encryption, URL filtering, and content filtering that help quickly identify and respond to insider threats.
Hence, when choosing an appropriate tool for your business continuity and security, make sure to cross-check each of them and compare their features and benefits before finalizing a tool for your services.