No matter whether you are a skilled developer or a security professional, it is vital to understand how applications get attacked and how to defend them in the first place. Burp Suite is one of the trusted and integrated platforms with a set of tools that help in conducting security tests of web applications. Starting right from the initial mapping to perform analysis on the attack surface, the tool covers all.
Here, we have listed different Burp Suite Editions, their features, and pricing. Further, we have highlighted a few alternatives to Burp Suite that companies invest in to find and exploit security vulnerabilities.
Burp Suite Overview
Burp Suite is a set of system testing tools developed by PortSwigger Ltd for penetration testing and scanning vulnerabilities. More than 15000 organizations currently use the Burp suite worldwide for web security and speeding up software delivery.
It is an all-in-one tool that supports the Java-based Web Penetration Testing framework. Thus, making it popular among top web app security researchers, engineering teams, and bug bounty hunters as it is easier to use compared to other tools.
With the help of the Burp Suite, professionals can discover vulnerabilities faster, verify attack vectors responsible for affecting web applications, and provide unrivaled protection against discovered zero-day threats.
Key features of the leading toolkit, include modification of all HTTP (S) communications your browser sees, managing recon data, breaking HTTPS effectively, reissue, analyzing, and modifying individual HTTP and WebSocket messages within a single window, automatically discovering hidden target functionality, test clickjacking attacks, etc.
The Burp Suite is available in three editions with the same interface. Follow the different burp suite editions available for professionals.
Burp Suite Editions
Burp Suite provides three editions – Community Edition, Professional Edition, and the Enterprise Edition. The community edition is a free plan that allows white hat hackers and other users to easily perform penetration testing for web applications. Users can view all the features of the paid tools but cannot use them as the buttons are disabled.
The operating mechanism of the Burp Suite is similar to a web proxy. Under this package, the tool works with a web browser. The provided tester’s job is to modify all HTTP(S) communications or traffic between the Web server and the main browser. Here, all three elements reside in the same system.
The other two paid editions of the Burp Suite – Professional Edition and the Enterprise Edition support penetration testing tools along with a vulnerability scanner responsible for automating testing. Both the paid versions support penetration testing tools available in the Community Edition.
Most companies and IT Operations departments select the Professional Edition to perform testing service checks on the security of a system for a client. Whereas, the web applications development companies select the enterprise edition for development testing.
Each edition of the Burp Suite comprises a unique feature that makes it a top choice among web app security researchers, engineering teams, and bug bounty hunters.
Features of Each Edition
The main role of the Burp Suite is to modify communications between a Web server and browser. It uses penetration testing and vulnerability scanning tools to secure the web, but the utilities fully depend on the type of package you choose for your business. Here are the features of each plan:
Community Edition features
Under the Community Edition, white hat hackers and other users can easily access system research functions and organize work plans correctly. Also, users can copy the relevant data from the research screen into an attack feature. Here are some of the main tools covered under Community Edition:
- Proxy is the engine responsible for doing all research and preparing for attack scenarios. It has processors that help divert network traffic to perform various assessments.
- The role of the Repeater is to let the user inject traffic into a stream. Once injected, the users can test specific applications and discover weaknesses. Further, you can create and adjust the HTTP header as per the requirement.
- A decoder is used to decode encryption and encode source data into an appropriate format.
- A sequencer is another tool that helps analyze the collected information and looks for randomness. Its role is to check the pattern and value of each variation in the testing strategy.
- Comparer is used to differentiate and compare responses that are difficult to decipher.
Professional Edition features
If you are planning to invest your time and money into the Burp Suite Professional Edition, let us tell you its main feature is the intruder module. The module is automated and customizable. As a result, users can create a plan that will be carried forward to different cycles to get good results in each stage. Users can also integrate attack probes into an Intruder run.
Apart from providing a vulnerability scanner, the package also includes OAST (out-of-band security) testing used to probe for exploits in applications.
Enterprise Edition features
The best part about the Enterprise Edition is you can run continuously along with other probes. This package is completely different from the other two because it is designed as a pipeline testing service. Users can integrate the package with project management and bug tracking tools (ThreadFix, Jira, and Jenkins).
Also, the reports generated from the tool helps produce recommendations related to fixing identified security weaknesses.
As stated above, the community edition is free for users. Whereas the professional edition of Burp Suite is available on single-user licenses, i.e., every time a new user performs installation it is required to make a separate purchase. Here is the price on the basis of subscription – $399 for 1 year, $798 for 2 years, and $1,197 for 3 years.
No discounts are available for extended licenses. The professional package also provides a 30-day free trial.
For the Enterprise edition, there are three pricing plans and each differs by the number of scanning agents.
- The Starter version supports 5 scanning agents at $6,995 per year
- Grow version supports 20 scanning agents at $14,480 per year
- Accelerate version supports 50+ scanning agents at $29,450
Companies can also book a package with the scanning agents of their choice, where the starting price is $4,990 and $499 for each subsequent agent. Also, like the professional package, users are allowed to examine the enterprise edition on a free trial.
Best Burp Suite Alternatives
Burp Suite is used for various purposes with a good pricing plan. If you are planning to invest in alternatives, here is the list of tools that one can use for system testing categories. Follow the best alternatives to Burp Suite:
- Invicti A vulnerability management tool that also supports development testing mode. As a result, Invicti is a great alternate solution to paid packages of Burp Suite. Most developers recommend Invicti as it helps reduce the risk of attacks and is used in each stage when building web applications. Further, you can use the tool to operate tests in a penetration testing condition. However, manual testing systems are not supported by the tool. Features of Invicti that make it a great choice are automated security throughout SDLC, full visibility into apps, vulnerability assessment and prioritization, 50+ integrations, real-time monitoring, and risk management. The tool also offers testing for CI/CD pipelines and DAST, IAST, and SAST testing scenarios for proper coding. Invicti is one of the best vulnerability scanners available as a SaaS platform.
- Acunetix A web application scanner available in three editions similar to the Burp Suite. It focuses more on automated scanning of networks and Web application testing than a manual testing tool. With the help of this tool, one can easily detect multiple vulnerabilities in minutes. Acunetix is also suitable for CI/CD pipelines and recommended by most IT operations technicians. The continuous testing option and support for DAST and IAST scanning approach makes the process of detecting vulnerabilities quick and simple. The tool supports various features, such as integrated vulnerability management, Out-of-Band Vulnerability Tester, interactive application testing, 7,000+ Web vulnerability scans, quick report generation, intelligent automation, etc. It is also available as a SaaS platform and compatible with Windows, macOS, or Linux platforms.
- OWASP ZAP Also known as Zed Attack Proxy, a trusted open-source web security scanning tool that helps automatically discover vulnerabilities and inspect traffic or HTTP/S requests. Being a risky tool, its use must be limited, and tests must be performed only with the consent and assurance that no permanent damage will occur. The tool is compatible with various operating systems and platforms. Further, it provides precise documentation for users to install and run tests. Once the scanning is done, it delivers results for better analysis and fixing vulnerability issues.
- ImmuniWeb ImmuniWeb® AI Platform is used by thousands of companies worldwide for penetration testing of the web application. One can reduce supply chain attacks and protect the system against data breaches using the powerful tool. It supports dark web monitoring, attack surface management, cloud penetration testing, third-party risk management, mobile security scanning, etc. If you are looking for an alternate solution that can handle complicated tasks and processes along with vulnerability assessment, ImmuniWeb® AI Platform is the best choice. It allows users to detect IAM misconfigurations and prevent data leaks.
- Veracode A software security tool that has been in the market for more than 16 years and has delivered excellent service to thousands of customers. The tool comprises five application security analysis types that help simplify AppSec programs and reduce the risk of a security breach. Further, it offers an end-to-end learning experience for developers. With the help of this reliable tool, users can identify and address security flaws faster and enable employees to focus on other areas of the business. Veracode helps scan and detect open-source vulnerabilities, delivers accurate security feedback, and runs Manual Penetration Testing.
Burp Suite is a web penetration testing tool available in two versions – free and paid. Users can choose various tools and technologies in Burp Suite as per their needs and budget. These are integrated platforms that help conduct security tests of web applications and enable businesses to identify and detect vulnerabilities in real-time.
Today, more than 15000 organizations are using Burp Suite System worldwide because it supports Java-based Web Penetration Testing framework and is easy to use. Various web app security researchers, engineering teams, and bug bounty hunters find Burp suite a reliable tool compared to other tools.
The set of tools provided by Burp Suite offers unrivaled protection against discovered zero-day threats.
Burp Suite is available in three editions – Community Edition (Free), Professional Edition (Paid), and the Enterprise Edition (Paid).
The Community Edition is mostly used by white hat hackers and comprises penetration testing tools for web applications. Proxy, Repeater, Decoder, Sequencer, and Comparer are a few tools covered under this package that help organize work plans correctly.
Professional edition, on the other hand, is used by IT Operations departments to run tests and check the system security. Their main feature is the intruder module. This package covers penetration testing tools and vulnerability scanners.
Enterprise Edition is the best of all and is used by web applications development companies for running development tests.
The professional edition and enterprise edition are paid versions but also support the free trial.
Burp Suite is an efficient tool that provides complete control over the testing process. Further, it eases the process of identification of vulnerabilities and verifying attacks using the scanner.
Burp suites are used for different purposes but can be expensive for small enterprises. Hence, we have also listed a few alternatives to Burp Suite System that can operate tests in a penetration testing scenario and run automated scans rather than manual testing.
Check out the above-listed alternate solutions like Acunetix, Invicti, OWASP ZAP, ImmuniWeb® AI Platform, and Veracode and compare them.
Each tool has its own benefits and features that make it stand out. Hence, compare and then make a final decision as to which cybersecurity package suits your need.