Snowflake’s Data Cloud is one of the popular cloud-based data platforms that provides a wide range of solutions for your businesses to work efficiently. It enables faster data processing, integration, and analytical solutions. It is not built on any “big data” software platform but is a combination of a new SQL query engine designed for clouds. Unlike earlier, businesses had to spend heavy amounts purchasing a data warehouse. However, with snowflakes being a cloud-based platform, the requirement to buy a separate data warehouse is no more a necessity. You do not require installing, configuring, or managing separate hardware or software for Snowflake. Its architecture and data sharing capabilities are designed to make it easy for organizations to share data faster and securely.
If your organization is looking for a tool that helps perform database analytics tasks faster, look no further. Snowflake’s data cloud platform is one of the best solutions and charges only on your usage periods. Get insightful data for your business using some popular Snowflake Analytics Tools. In this post, we have highlighted the top Snowflake Analytics Tools preferred and used by most organizations.
Here is our list of the Snowflake Usage Monitoring tools and software:
- Datadog Snowflake Monitor One of the powerful tools that can be integrated with Snowflake and provide more visibility and usage monitoring. It helps you to track the performance of your service and apps from different sources and turns them into insightful data.
- Tableau Snowflake Monitoring A very popular analytics platform used to track Snowflake virtual warehouses usage data. It provides user-friendly dashboards and helps you to reduce computing costs.
- New Relic Snowflake Monitoring One of the best software analytics solutions that offers very useful features including Production Monitoring, Real-Time Analytics, Cloud Migration, application development, alerting options, etc.
- Talend Relic Snowflake Monitoring Designed for an enterprise-grade environment that allows quick and seamless Snowflake integration. It allows you to assess reliable data via queried metrics, perform error checks, and discover real-time issues.
- DataSunrise Security Suite A real-time monitoring tool that tracks traffic and queries made to all Snowflake integrated databases. It is one of the best monitoring tools for discovering fraudulent insider activities and hacker attacks.
- Snowflake Standalone An open-source and leading data processing analytical tool that offers unique solutions without requiring any third-party tool like other integrations to monitor usage, cost, performance, and data security.
- Looker Snowflake Monitoring Tool A data analytics solution specially designed for small and large companies. It allows users to customize and generate interactive visualizations using graphs and charts.
- Qlik Business A data analytics platform that offers integration features and a user-friendly dashboard. You can try the free trial or opt for business or enterprise versions as per the need.
- Microsoft PowerBI Tool Simple BI tool that can be integrated with Snowflake to compute costs, monitor usage, and display user data. It is a cloud-based tool and helps transform raw data into insightful information using various data visualization tools.
What should you look for in Snowflake Usage Monitoring Tools?
With so many analytics tools available in the market, it gets difficult for businesses to select the best one for their data warehouse. An important part of any analytical tool is to check errors, faults, traffic usage, and issue response. Apart from these, there are more factors that one must consider before making a critical decision. Choosing the appropriate data warehouse analytical tool can make or break data pipeline effectiveness.
Follow some of the factors one must consider when choosing an analytical or usage monitoring tool for Snowflake:
- Ensure that the analytical tool provides full integration support to different data warehouse solutions, including Snowflake.
- The usage monitoring tool comprises a robust feature that helps generate complex reports and real-time visualizations.
- The chosen tools are easy to implement or use.
- The features of popular usage monitoring tools support team collaboration for smooth operations.
- Do not miss the training cost, license, documentation, and other usage costs of the analytical tool.
- Look into the quality of community support and customer services provided by the leading software provider.
- Do these tools support real-time data migration?
- Ensure they support features like live monitoring.
The Best Tools for Snowflake Usage Monitoring
Check out some of the best analytics tools available in the market that can be integrated with the Snowflake and meet the business requirements. However, it is a challenging task, yet some of the below-listed tools can be advantageous for your business. Follow the comprehensive list of best Snowflake Analytics Tools and monitor data usage.
Datadog can be integrated with Snowflake’s architecture to provide more visibility and usage monitoring. By integrating with Snowflake, users can exercise features of both the solutions, understand usage by user, role, etc., and calculate cost on the basis of active usage time. It is a great choice for an enterprise-level environment if you are looking for a tool that helps monitor fluctuations in storage usage. The popular tool helps track the performance of your service and apps from different sources and turns them into insightful data. It provides seamless workflow regardless of geographical positions. Furthermore, Datadog integration allows computing credit consumption, detecting misconfigurations, and monitoring warehouse performance. One can try a 14-day free trial and handle up to five hosts. However, the free version does not support advanced features like forecasting. Also, for the Snowflake integration, you must have a Datadog agent with an Infrastructure solution.
- Datadog provides full visibility over services, apps, and tools
- Streamline data analysis
- Supports configuration of the data filtration setup
- Provides notifications or alerts on noticing any issue
- It helps optimize the storage usage
- It helps detect security threats
- Performs cost analysis with projections
- The free version lacks most of the vital features
Website Link: https://www.datadoghq.com/blog/snowflake-monitoring-datadog/
Tableau is another analytics platform that helps track Snowflake virtual warehouses usage data. It comprises some intuitive products that make data analysis fast and easy for users. You can also create comprehensive dashboards using the tool that aids in computing costs and monitoring performance. It helps convert raw data into valuable insights by making requests to the cloud, spreadsheets, relational databases, and more for statistical data. Later, categorize and correlate it into a comprehensive analytical report. It comprises remarkable visualization capabilities, supports thriving community and forum platforms for discussions, provides high performance, and is an easy-to-use usage monitoring tool. If you are looking for a Snowflake usage monitoring tool that can handle a large amount of data without affecting the performance, Tableau is the right choice. Also, it is mobile-friendly, supports seamless integration, user-based filters, and alerting features.
Try a 14-day free trial or purchase a license depending on the purpose. It supports three license options – Creator license (connect data and publish custom dashboards) for $70 per month, Explorer (make changes to the existing dashboard) for $42 per month, and Viewer license (supports read-only access to the data) for $15 per month.
- Supports Seamless integration
- Provides Notification and alerts if the cost values exceed the prediction
- Supports user-based filters
- Tableau is easy to implement
- Tableau is mobile-friendly and offers high performance
- It has a thriving community and forum platform for users
- After-sales support services are poor
- May have security issues
- It is expensive and supports inflexible pricing
- BI Capabilities are poor
Website Link: https://www.tableau.com/products/trial
3. New Relic
Founded in 2008, New Relic has grown into one of the largest players in the industry. It provides detailed insights to users about their software performance, helps mobile developers in analysis and improving performance. Also, the application performance monitoring capabilities help users receive an in-depth report and cost tracking. New Relic is one of the best software analytics solutions for businesses that want to analyze and develop relevant data from applications. The tool supports various features like Production Monitoring, Real-Time Analytics, Cloud Migration, application development, alerting options, etc., that help deliver software with good performance and speed. Also, it emphasizes writing codes rather than troubleshooting them.
Enjoy the flexible pricing with New Relic. Regardless of your pricing plan, the Snowflake usage monitoring tool helps track cost. It comes in three versions – free, standard, and Pro version. The free version supports 100GB/month of data for a single user. However, the standard version is available for five users, and the pro version has no user limit.
- New Relic stores all the metrics, events, traces & logs at a central place
- Supports alerting option
- New Relic has a variable pricing model
- It is a trusted mobile app monitoring tool with the ability to collect, analyze, and convert data into useful insights
- Focusses on writing rather than troubleshooting
- Provides stable and high performance
- Helps debug the server-side
- New Relic provides exact real user page load times
- It helps detect any warehouse performance issue
- New Relic interface is a little tricky for users
- Web page loading data is not provided in detail
- Users need to constantly lower the threshold to improve the site
- Many sections require you to upgrade to a premium account
Website Link: https://newrelic.com/blog/nerdlog/new-relic-snowflake-integration
Talend is a popular tool for Data Integration used for the enterprise-grade environment. Partnered with Snowflake, the tools allow quick and seamless integration. It is an open-source tool used for data processing, data management, data analysis, big data, and integration. Released in 2005, Talend has turned into a leading Big data integration platform with an inbuilt suite of tools. Using Talend, users can assess reliable data via queried metrics, perform error checks, and discover real-time issues. It also provides accurate usage considerations that can be used for creating reports, planning, and making better future decisions. It also comprises ETL-related functionalities and supports the code-generation approach. Users can easily create comprehensive dashboards for monitoring and tracking performance. Talend’s excellent reporting capabilities make it one of the top choices for analysts and developers. You can use the free trial to test the product and make a final call.
- Users can create comprehensive dashboards and detailed reports using Talend
- Supports seamless integration
- Monitors data reliability
- Talend helps track usage and costs
- It also helps in performing error checks
- Functional error occurrence is less
- Supports a larger user community
- Talend helps in making quick business decisions with quality reports
- You can deploy it anywhere
- Does not comprise enough components for Deduplication
- Experts with a java background are needed for complex development
Website Link: https://www.talend.com/free-trial/
DataSunrise Security Suite provides real-time monitoring and tracks traffic and queries made to all Snowflake integrated databases. Its robust features allow quick detection of SQL injections and any suspicious access request. Furthermore, the activity monitoring tool ensures operation transparency without adding any extra load on servers or affecting the business processes.
DataSunrise Security Suite provides accurate information and a true picture of database operations. Users can also monitor and track who all viewed the data or made an effort to make changes to the data. Thus, DataSunrise Security Suite is one of the best monitoring tools for discovering fraudulent insider activities and hacker attacks. The alert message function notifies the database security team instantly if any rule is violated, providing detailed information on who, how, when, and where they tried to violate the rules. The popular tool keeps security concerns as the top priority. However, it also supports computing costs using the provided metrics. Download the free trial from the official website if interested in a tool whose main concern is database access security.
- Supports recording of session data
- Follows strict rules for security purposes
- Reports Database errors
- Timely monitors data query
- Users can track all instances from the Centralized Console
- The console setup is quick
- Supports Dynamic Masking
- DataSunrise provides Real-Time Alerting
- There are as such no such drawbacks for DataSunrise Security Suite
Website Link: https://www.datasunrise.com/monitoring/snowflake/
6. Snowflake Standalone
Snowflake Standalone is a leading data processing analytical tool that offers unique solutions with no additional costs. You do not need any third-party tool like other integrations to monitor usage, cost, performance, and data security. If your organization does not have a budget to use any of the above integrations, it is best to switch to Snowflake’s database that comprises all the information. In simple terms, this database is referred to as Snowflake. It supports and runs all data variables for usage monitoring and tracking costs. Compatible with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure, it is one of the best tools for the data warehouse. Also, with the help of Snowflake Standalone, users can share data externally, export, and upload it into other visualization tools as per the need. Snowflake Standalone is extremely flexible and supports no extra costs.
- It supports various data security features, like multi-factor authentication, 256-bit AES encryption, and more
- The tool is compliant with data security standards
- Snowflake Standalone supports no extra cost and installation requirements
- Users can manually export data to other tools using Snowflake Standalone robust features
- It requires no additional third-party tool for monitoring usage
- Snowflake Standalone is compatible with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure
- Highly flexible, scalable, and redundant
- The public clouds supported by the tool have their own data warehouse solutions. Thus, users can miss out on the benefits of these integrated cloud ecosystems
- Snowflake Standalone can be expensive in some cases
Website Link: https://docs.snowflake.com/en/sql-reference/account-usage.html
Looker is a trusted data analytics solution that helps large and small companies generate real value from their data. The platform is browser-based, thus making the process to collect, visualize, and analyze much simpler. Users can also customize and generate interactive visualizations using graphs and charts. Integrating Snowflake into the analytics will help gain comprehensive insights and aid in managing Snowflake instances. It allows users to get detailed information on the data usage, performance, and security metrics. A large number of companies prefer the powerful tool over the others for its robust features and easy-to-use web-based UI. Looker helps in building quick reports which are later used for making better business decisions. It is a great tool for businesses supporting marketing, sales, accounts, Operations, and Processes. Also, it comprises visualization capabilities, sharing features, and supports SQL patterns. Another advantage of using Looker is you do not require to import charts from the spreadsheets. Instead, the tool allows analysts to generate their own graphs and charts for better reporting. Improve your business decisions using Looker as they provide real-time data insights.
- Looker is an easy to deploy Snowflake usage monitoring tool
- It supports cost analysis features
- It is intuitive and offers great customization features
- It supports ib-build graphs and charts
- Supports SQL patterns
- You require no SQL expert to use the tool
- Looker is compatible with all browsers and devices
- Supports seamless integration with third-party platforms
- Looker is not a great option for small teams
- Looker lacks flexibility
- It requires additional onboarding support for better implementation.
- At times the software runs slow and takes time to load large marketing dashboards.
Website Link: https://looker.com/platform/blocks/source/cost-and-usage-analysis-by-snowflake
Qlik is a data analytics platform with integration features and a user-friendly dashboard. The analytics platform helps businesses solve some of the most challenging problems and take improved decisions for growth or a better future. With the help of Qlik sense, analysts can visualize data integration processes and display detailed information highlighting errors, query speed, and more. It is a highly customizable and easy-to-install tool. Qlik Sense is a flexible tool suitable for organizations of all sizes. Also, Qlik Sense’s smart search and other robust features help generate insights for the betterment of the business. The Customizable dashboards also help monitor the usage, cost, projections, and credit allocations. Analysts can also track if any unauthorized user makes a login attempt and display it on the geoanalytics page for security purposes. You can try the free trial or opt for business or enterprise versions as per the need. With Qlik, you need to buy the Data Integration solution for smooth integration.
- The associative model of the platform helps in simple data integration
- It supports graphics and data discovery features that helps in generating meaningful insights
- Qlik is compatible with all devices and applications
- Supports features like collaboration and data sharing
- Supports Data storytelling functionality
- Users can access Drag-and-drop visualizations
- Qlik is scalable, manageable, and provides Enterprise-level security
- It supports intuitive navigation controls.
- Qlik is one of the best Auditing and reporting suites
- In the analysis mode, more memory space is needed
- Users may face issues in loading data
- Qlik Management Console is not ideal for all situations
Website Link: https://www.qlik.com/us/trial/qlik-sense-business
9. Microsoft PowerBI
PowerBI is a simple BI tool that can be integrated with Snowflake to compute costs, monitor usage, and display user data. Most companies choose Microsoft’s Power BI for analytical purposes as it is inexpensive. Also, the platform comprises robust features that make it a reliable product. It is a cloud-based BI platform that helps transform raw data into insightful information using various data visualization tools. With the help of this analytical tool, analysts can generate quality reports and make improved decisions for the business. Also, it is compatible with Windows 10 or Windows Server.
- Microsoft’s PowerBI is an inexpensive analytical tool
- It has an active user community where people can submit suggestions and feedback for improvement
- Analysts can read data from various sources using Power BI
- Power BI supports Excel Integration
- It supports the embedding of Power BI reports into web-based apps
- Power BI supports seamless integration with different applications
- It provides real-time analysis
- The user interface of Power BI is bulky
- There is a limit to the amount of data the tool can ingest
- Users find it difficult to handle complex relationships between tables
- Sometimes the formulas created in Power BI are rigid
Website Link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/
Snowflake is a cloud-native platform with excellent data sharing capabilities and analysis features. It allows data storage and provides secure data in real-time to businesses for improved decisions. Also, it offers a wide range of solutions for data integration, analysis, and data processing. In this post, we have highlighted some of the best tools that can be integrated with the snowflake to help visualize data, compute costs, and monitor data usage. Some of these tools also aid in monitoring unauthorized login attempts and support geoanalytics. Check out some popular tools from the list that may meet your business requirement and help detect errors and monitor performance using query times. Microsoft PowerBI, New Relic, Datadog, Tableau, Talend, etc., are leading analytical tools with different pricing options and best features. Compare the pros and cons of each analytical tool from the list and make a final call.