In today’s world of remote working, collaboration takes on a whole new meaning.
You want employees from all over the world to co-create a document, share it easily with specific people within and outside your organization, manage permissions seamlessly, and more. SharePoint from Microsoft is one of the top products available today for sharing and managing your content with just the people you want. Besides seamless collaboration and complete control, you can also easily find what you want as all the documents are stored in a centralized place.
This ease of use and extensive capabilities make SharePoint an essential part of your infrastructure. It also means you want SharePoint to perform optimally at all times to reduce work-related disruptions. This is where SharePoint administration tools come in handy.
Here is our list of the best SharePoint tools available today:
- SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) – FREE TRIAL This is a comprehensive platform that improves the performance of SharePoint and reduces its latency. Also, it quickly identifies the root cause, so you can address the issues quickly.
- PRTG Network Monitor This all-in-one SharePoint monitoring tool ensures the stability and performance of SharePoint servers. In turn, it boosts your employees’ collaboration and productivity as well.
- ManageEngine SharePoint Plus This tool manages, audits, reports, and improves the overall performance of SharePoint environments across the cloud and on-prem installations.
- eG Enterprise Αn end-to-end monitoring solution that looks into all applications and tiers in your infrastructure, including SharePoint.
- Metalogix Diagnostic Manager This tool monitors all aspects of your SharePoint environment and gives a thorough insight into your organization’s content.
- SPDocKit This SharePoint on-prem administration tool automates routine tasks and enhances the data security of your SharePoint farms.
Let’s now take a detailed look at each of these tools to help you decide the appropriate one for your organization.
What are SharePoint Administrator Tools?
As the name suggests, SharePoint administrator tools ensure that your SharePoint is working optimally. They also handle the installation, upgrade, configuration, and management of this collaboration platform. These tools stay on top of latency issues and send notifications in case of issues. Some tools even troubleshoot minor issues and can point you in the right direction when it comes to larger problems.
The Best SharePoint Tools
Server & Application Monitor (SAM) is a flagship product of SolarWinds, a leader in monitoring Microsoft products. SAM is a software suite and one of the products is the SharePoint Server Performance Monitoring tool. As the name suggests, this tool improves page load time and performance of SharePoint and identifies any underlying issues in it.
Let’s now look at some important features of SAM related to SharePoint management and administration.
- Improves Performance This tool gathers SharePoint performance metrics and analyzes them to isolate the page load speeds. It compares this speed with the established threshold to identify performance issues. In the case of lower speeds, it investigates further to determine issues based on location, component, or even the underlying infrastructure. It also integrates with SolarWinds Web Performance Monitor for analyzing synthetic transactions to isolate specific web events or transactions that are causing performance issues.
- Sends Automated Alerts The SharePoint Server Monitoring tool tracks all the metrics in detail. Some of the prominent ones it tracks include requests per second rejected requests, wait time, latency, loading speeds, insufficient server resources, and more. All these metrics are compared with existing thresholds and accordingly, it sends alerts when the variations are high.
- Delves Deep into the Root Cause SAM’s in-depth tracking and monitoring make it easy to understand the root cause of the problem. This information makes it easy to ascertain if the problem is with SharePoint or any other part of your infrastructure. For example, slow SharePoint queries can be due to issues in SharePoint and the underlying database, and this tool points you in the right direction. With this information, you can use your resources to quickly fix the issues.
- Out-of-the-box Monitoring and Reporting SAM comes with out-of-the-box monitoring for certain components such as queued SharePoint requests, wait times, cache APIs, and worker processes. Plus, it puts all this information in an easy-to-read report that can be used for internal auditing as well as compliance with industry standards.
In all, this is a comprehensive tool that provides all the information you need to know your SharePoint’s performance at any time and troubleshoot quickly when needed.
Pricing: Click here to get a quote.
Free Trials: Click here to try this tool free for 30 days.
2. PRTG Network Monitor
PRTG Network Monitor is an all-in-one-tool SharePoint monitoring tool that aims for a stable SharePoint platform. To this end, it continuously monitors the stability and performance of your SharePoint servers and provides the insights you need for efficient troubleshooting.
Here’s a look at what PRTG can do to boost your SharePoint performance.
- SharePoint Process Sensor PRTG uses sensors to monitor different parameters of SharePoint. Specifically, it uses the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) protocol to access and read all the settings of SharePoint. It also uses the Windows IIS Application sensor and the PerfCounter IIS Application Pool sensor to query and gather data from SharePoint. You can also customize these sensors to monitor specific datasets.
- Data Gathering PRTG’s sensors gather the following data from SharePoint.
- CPU usage
- Number of queries that are currently being executed
- Current page requests
- Active threads
- Active objects that require memory and other resources.
- Template cache and global heap size.
- Data traffic volume
- Known and unknown users at any time
- Number of transferred files
You can use this data for further analysis and understand the possible root cause of problems.
- Compatibility with Devices PRTG is highly compatible with many mobile and desktop devices and this means, you can monitor your SharePoint servers even when you’re on the go. Also, it can be started within minutes and the interface is highly intuitive as well.
- Reporting and Compliance PRTG generates high-quality reports that give a snapshot of your SharePoint platform’s performance. These reports can also be customized for specific requirements and they help with auditing and compliance too.
Overall, PRTG Monitor is a good choice when you want to gather extensive datasets, including very specific areas, and want to analyze them further for key insights.
Pricing: PRTG’s pricing depends on the number of sensors you use. All plans are one-time payments and have a perpetual license.
- Up to 500 sensors – $1,799
- Up to 1000 sensors – $3,399
- Up to 2500 sensors – $6,899
- Up to 5000 sensors – $11,999
- Up to 10K sensors – $15,999
Please note that these costs are for a single server.
Free Trial: Click here to try PRTG for 30 days.
3. ManageEngine SharePoint Plus
ManageEngine’s SharePoint Plus is a complete SharePoint management tool that manages and audits your SharePoint installations across on-prem and cloud environments. It also analyzes all activities in your SharePoint infrastructure to help with decision-making, troubleshooting, and improving productivity.
ManageEngine SharePoint Plus comes with many convenient features such as the following.
- Centralized Console SharePoint Plus’ central console makes it easy to monitor any number of SharePoint installations, even across environments. Its intuitive interface helps to quickly grant or revoke permissions, delete and create groups, and more in hybrid environments. Further, you can monitor the available storage space, file transfers, permissioned access, and more through its dashboard.
- Advanced Analytics With SharePoint Plus, you get detailed insights into user behavior, traffic, searches, page views, unique visitors, and other custom parameters. Using this information, you can better understand your current environment and the changes required to meet your goals.
- Reporting and Auditing This tool’s reports can be categorized into different sections and categories, thereby making them easy to read and share. It can also be converted into multiple formats. It also logs all the important information that can be later used for auditing and forensic analysis.
- Easy Installation SharePoint Plus is an agentless solution and hence, doesn’t require any complicated installs. Further, it works well across both on-prem and Office 365 SharePoint versions.
In all, SharePoint Plus is a complete management tool that gives all the insights and visibility you need to stay on top of your SharePoint platform’s performance.
Pricing: SharePoint Plus comes in two editions – Standard and Professional. The cost depends on the number of farms or Office 365 tenants in your environment.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial.
4. eG Enterprise
eG Enterprise is an end-to-end monitoring tool for your IT applications and infrastructure. It works well both on cloud and on-prem, and is well-known for its smart analytics, proactive alerts, and accurate diagnosis.
Here’s a look at some of eG’s salient features about SharePoint.
- Complete Visibility eG Enterprise provides complete visibility into every tier and layer of your infrastructure that extends beyond just SharePoint. The biggest advantage of this approach is it can pinpoint errors quickly and can give you a better context of why something is not right with SharePoint.
- User Experience Monitoring We often measure performances based on resource utilization, speed, and other parameters. But user experience is important, but not measured often because it is difficult to capture the related metrics. But eG measures user experience by looking into the page load times, ease of use, and more. It uses Real User Monitoring (RUM) to pinpoint the slow speeds and the resulting user experience, so the same can be addressed at the earliest.
- Root Cause Analysis This tool does a detailed root cause analysis and points you in the right direction. With this smart analytics, you can direct your efforts more effectively at solving the problem.
Overall, eG is a comprehensive platform for monitoring your SharePoint and beyond.
Pricing: The cost depends on the deployment model you choose. Here’s the detailed pricing.
Free Trial: Click here for a 30-day free trial.
5. Metalogix Diagnostic Manager
Metalogix Diagnostic Manager from Quest Software monitors the entire SharePoint environment and in the process, gives complete visibility into your organization’s content, where it is stored, and with whom it is shared. Such visibility can, in particular, protect your sensitive information.
Let’s now take a look at Metalogix’s features.
- Intuitive Dashboard Metalogix has an intuitive dashboard that gives a bird’s eye view of your entire SharePoint environment. Metalogix treats the SharePoint farms as a whole and not as separate servers, and hence, can give a holistic view of the environment. The advantage of such a view is that you can identify under-performing servers and their issues.
- Sends Proactive Alerts You can configure this tool to send custom and automatic configurations when parameters go beyond the established thresholds. Also, you can configure to receive content growth alerts for both on-prem and cloud applications.
- In-depth Insights Metalogix monitors your tool 24X7 to prevent any workflow disruptions and productivity loss due to SharePoint problems. Further, it also provides insights into SQL Server configuration and database fragmentation, so the same can be addressed as well.
In all, Metalogix is a handy tool for getting insights about SharePoint, SQL servers, and the network as a whole, so you can identify and resolve issues quickly.
Pricing: Click here to get a custom quote.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial.
SPDocKit is an advanced on-prem SharePoint administration tool that analyzes and audits your SharePoint farms to provide the insights you need for decision making, capacity planning, and more. If you have SharePoint Online, its sister tool, SysKit Point can help.
SPDocKit comes with extensive capabilities for SharePoint monitoring and administration. Here’s a look at the salient features.
- Checks Configuration As you know, SharePoint has hundreds of configurations for applications, servers, and more. Having the right configuration is necessary to optimize SharePoint’s performance, and SPDocKit ensures that your configuration parameters match your requirements. It makes recommendations based on Microsoft’s guidelines and best practices and even validates your current settings to ensure a healthy SharePoint environment.
- Comprehensive Auditing SPDocKit’s dashboard provides a centralized view of all the audit settings and user actions in the last seven days. With this information, you can track who is opening your files and folders and how your data is used or shared. It also lists down all the changes made by different users, and all this can help you to effectively stave off insider threats.
- Analytics and Reporting SPDocKit provides detailed analytics about the number of visitors per farm, last time of access for each content, the number of views, and any changes in these trends. Its Drillable Analytics dashboard allows you to get deeper insights into your content and its usage. These analytics are also generated as reports for internal and external use. In particular, it helps to comply with certain industry standards.
- Manages Permissions The Permissions Explorer gives you a snapshot of different folders/files and users who are authorized to view and edit it respectively. You can see historical and real-time data to understand how the permissions have changed over a period. This feature is also handy for tagging personal data, as per GDPR compliance.
Overall, SPDocKit was designed exclusively for managing on-prem SharePoint environments and hence, handles all aspects of your SharePoint security and usage.
Pricing: SPDocKit costs $3,249 per farm.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial.
To conclude, SharePoint is a popular content sharing and collaboration platform. Its adoption has increased in the last few years, thanks to the pandemic and the resulting work-from-anywhere culture. That said, SharePoint is a complex platform with thousands of configurations, and before you know, administrating a SharePoint environment can quickly get out of control.
This is where SharePoint administration and management tools come in handy. We have presented some of the top tools available today and out of these, we recommend SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor for its wide-arching features that cover every aspect of SharePoint setup and management.