The emergence of different data types and formats has brought up problems related to storage, interoperability, and compatibility. In turn, this led to the development of document databases that allowed users to handle data through schema validation.
One such well-known database is MongoDB that created a new format called the Binary JSON format (BSON) and data stored in this format can be quickly indexed and searched, thereby increasing the overall efficiency of storage and retrieval.
Here is our list of the Best MongoDB Monitoring Tools:
- SolarWinds Database Performance Monitor – FREE TRIAL Monitors the health of many databases including MongoDB. It is designed to ensure performance and optimization, as it comes with advanced analytics to understand the root cause of problems and even provides expert tuning advice to fix them. Get a 14-day-free trial.
- AppOptics Database Performance Monitor – FREE TRIAL A monitoring tool from SolarWinds that gives detailed insights into the performance of MongoDB. This tool is available under a 30-day-free trial.
- Datadog This robust monitoring system aggregates and visualizes the metrics from your MongoDB and even combines it with other parts of your IT infrastructure to give a streamlined view.
- Site 24X7 A comprehensive monitoring tool that comes with the capabilities to monitor a wide range of databases and systems, including MongoDB.
- ManageEngine Applications Manager A comprehensive tool that monitors MongoDB databases and provides all the information you need to evaluate its performance.
- MetricFire An infrastructure and application monitoring platform that displays all the information you need in a visually appealing way, and this helps to give you real-time insights and visibility.
- Foglight for MongoDB A centralized management tool for MongoDB databases that continuously monitors the health and performance of your MongoDB databases and sends alerts and notifications when needed.
Due to its popularity, MongoDB has become an essential part of organizations’ IT systems and environments, hence it becomes necessary to ensure that its performance and efficiency are at optimal levels at all times. Some of the aspects that must be monitored at all times to ensure optimal performance are:
- Latency in reading/write operations
- Resource utilization and saturation
- Replication lags
- Number of database connections
- CPU usage
- Execution time
- Operation counts and memory
- Abnormal changes and possible overloads
This leads to the role of MongoDB monitoring tools and thankfully, you have a lot of choices today. Let’s look at some of them in this article.
The Best MongoDB Monitoring Tools
The SolarWinds MongoDB Monitoring Tool is designed to ensure performance and optimization, as it comes with advanced analytics to understand the root cause of problems and even provides expert tuning advice to fix them. This monitoring tool is a part of the Database Performance Monitor from SolarWinds.
Here’s a look at its features in detail.
- It is a SaaS platform with a web-based user interface
- Provides 24/7 real-time monitoring to help you stay on top of your KPIs
- Allows you to create custom dashboards that can give the insights you want
- Tracks specific metrics related to your MongoDB database so you’re on top of its health at all times
- Sends recommendations based on best practices
- Offers real-time and historical information to make it easy to narrow down to the issues
- Uses automated profiling analysis to track latency, output errors, and more
- Slaves your performance issues in minutes by giving you the right inputs
- Points out inconsistencies with MongoDB’s best practices
- Mitigates the risk of cyberattacks by pointing out misconfigurations in MongoDB
- Provides ongoing compliance status updates
- Comes with ad Adaptive Fault Protection feature to find minor interruptions in server or service availability
- Enhances collaboration among teams to streamline the issues
- Helps application engineers to see the effects of code deployment
Starts at $1,340.
Click here for a fully functional 14-day-free trial.
AppOptics Database Performance Monitor is another monitoring tool from SolarWinds that gives detailed insights into the performance of MongoDB.
Some of the most useful features of Appoptics are:
- You can monitor the performance of MongoDB from your central Appoptics dashboard and can combine it with metrics from other databases and systems to get a comprehensive view
- Provides important updates like memory use, available and used bytes, and more. Accordingly, you can handle capacity planning
- Comes with out-of-the-box dashboards that you can leverage to get a quick understanding of the status and performance of the MongoDB database
- The plugin required for monitoring MongoDB databases is easy to install and doesn’t occupy too much space or memory
- It automatically collects metrics from different databases and integrates them into your Appoptics dashboard. No code is required for this integration.
- Allows you to customize the metrics’ view to meet your specific requirements
- Compatible with Amazon DocumentDB service
There are two pricing tiers offered and they are:
- Infrastructure monitoring ($9.99/host/month): Provides instant visibility into on-prem and cloud infrastructure. It also comes with 150+ plugins and standard and custom metrics.
- Infrastructure and Application Monitoring ($24.99/host/month): Visualizes and troubleshoots application bottlenecks and comes with advanced features such as distributed tracing, live code profiling, exception tracking, and more.
Click here for a fully functional 30-day-free trial.
Datadog’s MongoDB monitoring capabilities help you stay on top of the health and performance of your MongoDB database. This robust monitoring system aggregates and visualizes the metrics from your MongoDB and even combines it with other parts of your IT infrastructure to give a streamlined view.
Let’s now look at some of the salient features of Datadog to get a better understanding of how it can impact your organization
- Since MongoDB monitoring comes with the Datadog Agent package, no separate installation is required
- Provides complete visibility into the performance of your MongoDB database
- Comes with advanced alerting mechanisms that help you stay on top of anomalies
- Combines real-time data with historical one to give in-depth insights into the performance of your database
- Provides many advanced monitoring capabilities such as dynamic slicing and aggregation
- You can set up custom alerts to meet your preferences
- Integrates well with many popular tools such as Slack and PagerDuty, so you can use them to send notifications to specific teams or individuals
- The dashboard is highly intuitive and can be customized to meet your preferences
Datadog offers three pricing tiers and they are:
- Free – Retains metrics for a day and supports up to five hosts
- Pro ($15 per host per month) – 400+ integrations, out-of-the-box dashboards, and retains metrics for up to 15 months
- Enterprise ($23 per host per month) – Provides alerts based on machine learning, detects anomalies automatically, and has other advanced features
Click here to get started with the free plan.
Site24X7 is a comprehensive monitoring tool that comes with the capabilities to monitor a wide range of databases and systems, including MongoDB. This monitoring of MongoDB is handled by its ready-to-install plugin that provides in-depth visibility into the performance, availability, and usage of the MongoDB databases.
Let’s take a detailed look into its MongoDB monitoring features and capabilities.
- Counts and records the number of unused connections to help you decide on resource utilization and capacity planning
- Provides real-time monitoring
- Supports the use of custom plugins to monitor your database
- Provides detailed visibility into the performance metrics of your MongoDB databases
- Integrates well with Site24X7 data center to give you a comprehensive view of your infrastructure’s health and performance.
- Displays various charts to give you a quick update on performance, and you can also further drill down to get detailed insights
- Pinpoints performance issues, so you can fix them right away
- Alerts can be customized to meet your requirements
The Starter plan starts at $9/month, paid annually, and additional plugins cost extra. Depending on your needs, the add-ons can range anywhere from $15/month for basic monitoring of 10 servers to $2,000/month for 1000 NetFlow interfaces. So, the cost depends on the number of add-ons and devices.
Click here for a 30-day free trial.
5. ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine’s Applications Manager is a comprehensive tool that can monitor most common applications, databases, servers, and other components in your IT infrastructure. It also monitors MongoDB databases and provides all the information you need to evaluate its performance.
Below are some of the important features of this tool.
- Gives comprehensive usage metrics, so you can handle load distribution and capacity planning accordingly
- Offers deep visibility into the important metrics of MongoDB
- Provides a thorough understanding of performance efficiency
- Comes with intelligent analytical features for analyzing the performance trends
- Helps with forecasting utilization trends
- Identifies bottlenecks and troubleshoots them at the earliest
- Monitors lock stats such as read/write locks to prevent latency problems
- Provides database operations statistics with sharding and replication details
- Helps to resolve performance issues quickly
- Evaluates the performance and trends of MongoDB usage
- Comes with comprehensive reports that provide all the information you need
- Uses advanced machine learning techniques to help with capacity planning
- Supports all MongoDB versions up to 4.0.2
ManageEngine offers a custom quote based on your specific requirements, so reach out to the sales team with your requirements.
Click here to download ManageEngine’s Applications Manager to get started.
MetricFire is an infrastructure and application monitoring platform that displays all the information you need in a visually appealing way, and this helps to give you real-time insights and visibility. You can choose from one of its two products, namely, Hosted Prometheus and Graphite.
Here’s a look at some of its features.
- You can set up custom alerts and have them sent across multiple channels
- Comes with the APIs and integrations you need to connect the insights with your overall monitoring environment
- All metrics are displayed on a Grafana dashboard
- Your team can quickly share and collaborate the metrics
- Retains the metrics for an extended time, depending on your plan
- All read and write operations happen through HTTPS
- Gives complete control as you can make changes quickly to the config file
- The UI is intuitive and feature-rich
- Data can be exported at any time
There are four plans available shown on the table below:
|Retention period||6 months||13 months||18 months||24 months|
|Cost per year||$85||$429||$1,099||$1,599|
Click here to get started.
7. Foglight for MongoDB
Foglight for MongoDB is a centralized management tool for MongoDB databases that continuously monitors the health and performance of your MongoDB databases and sends alerts and notifications when needed. Also, its detailed analytics and reporting make a big difference in optimizing your database usage.
Here’s a look at some of the important features of this tool.
- Gives a global view of the performance of all your database instances
- Tracks the number of concurrent connections, their memory requirements, and other pertinent parameters. It also sends an alert when the number of connections exceeds the normal or threshold levels
- Its advanced analytics provides a wealth of information on different aspects
- Sends notifications when the page faults increase suddenly
- Provides a detailed analysis of all the database operations
- Helps to resolve concurrency issues
- Avoids false alerts and ensures that messages are triggered only when the baselines are triggered.
- Comes with expert advice to handle some issues
- Stores historical monitoring data safely in an embedded warehouse a no extra cost.
- Supports MongoDB 2.4 and above
Get a custom quote for your needs.
Click here for a free trial.
In short, the usage of MongoDB is growing at an exponential rate because it offers a ton of functionality that is not available in traditional databases. This widespread usage has also led to the need for specialized monitoring tools for these databases.
The options that we have discussed above are some of the best in the industry and we hope this information helps you make informed decisions on the right monitoring tool for your MongoDB database.