Enterprise security has taken a whole new meaning in the last few years, thanks to the many cyberattacks and data breaches that have resulted in a loss of millions of dollars. To reduce the catastrophic impact of a cyberattack, many companies today invest across security tools and platforms that would identify and plug their vulnerabilities.
One such commonly-used security tool is enterprise password management. This is an essential part of security because passwords are the first line of defense against any unauthorized access to your device. If every employee in your organization has a strong and secure password that is hard to crack, you’re ahead of potential hackers.
Here is our list of the best password management solutions:
- N-able Passportal This cloud-based password manager is a simple and secure way to store and manage your passwords from any connected device. It also comes with an advanced documentation feature to improve your employee’s efficiency.
- 1Password This is a password manager and a virtual vault where you can store not just passwords, but also software licenses and other confidential information. It is secured by a master password that in turn, is encrypted using the PBKDF2 protocol.
- LastPass This platform enables the secure storage of encrypted passwords online. It has a web interface and many plugins that easily integrate with web browsers and smartphone apps.
- ManageEngine Password Manager Pro This is a secure vault for storing your sensitive information and managing privileges and access to it.
- Passbolt Cloud This enterprise-grade password manager is a good choice for teams that require collaboration across internal and external stakeholders.
That said, you also have to watch out when passwords are shared among employees or across teams to collaborate on the same tool. For example, if your company is using HubSpot for posting on social media, you have to share the HubSpot across teams that want to access and post on social media. This is where it gets tricky because the passwords can get exposed while sharing and before you know it, your password can be hacked, and untoward messages can be posted from your social media handle. Remember, these messages don’t have to be always from a hacker, they can also be from a disgruntled employee.
A good way to avoid such unpleasant scenarios is to use an enterprise password management solution, where all your organization’s passwords are stored in a single platform, and you can streamline access to it. Bonus – you can also avoid costly password resets.
Advantages of Using an Enterprise Password Management Solution
Some of the benefits that come with using an enterprise password management solution are:
- Streamlined access, so passwords are available only to those who need them.
- A record of who accessed every password.
- An excellent security mechanism that could be a combination of multi-factor authentication, encryption, etc.
- Auto-generation and auto-saving features for ease of use.
- Additional features such as a single sign-on, active directory connectivity, etc.
All these features make your password secure and prevent it from unauthorized access.
Moving on, let’s look at the best enterprise password management solutions available today.
The Best Password Management Solutions
Finding a password management solution that’s well-suited for your business is not easy. That’s why we have compared the most popular platforms across different criteria, so you can make appropriate decisions with little time and effort.
Let’s now jump into a detailed review of each enterprise password solution and its features.
1. N-able Passportal
N-able Passportal is a cloud-based password management solution that offers a secure and simple way to store, manage, and retrieve passwords from any connected device. It also comes with encryption and document management features to strengthen the overall credential management process in your organization.
Below are some of the salient features of N-able Passportal.
- Tracking N-able keeps a complete track of your password history, including those who have accessed and the date and time of access. It also monitors when passwords were changed and by whom. All this information is logged in real-time, so you know changes as they happen.
- Boosts Security This password management solution comes with many built-in tools to boost your organization’s security. It automatically identifies new Active Directory users and automatically handles routine maintenance. It also prompts password changes and ensures that old and weak passwords are not used, thereby eliminating password reuse and leaks. Plus it uses encryption both in transit and at rest. You can set up multi-factor authentication as well.
- Automatic Password Updates The password you change is automatically updated on applications that use them. This way, most users need not know the new password changes, thereby adding another security layer to your organization. This also comes in handy when you’re managing passwords for multiple client environments.
- Role-based Control You can have granular control over who accesses your passwords with this feature. Also, you can grant temporary requests that expire after a specific period, so users have access to the tools they want to do their job efficiently. At the same time, there are no security downsides with this sharing, as your admin can always reset the password after it’s used.
- Reporting and Compliance Many standards today focus on password management as this is seen as a major security flaw within an organization. This is why N-able’s out-of-the-box reports make it easy to comply with different industry standards. Further, you can also generate reports for internal auditing and decision-making.
Thus, these are some of the important features of N-able. As you can see, it is comprehensive and addresses the major security concerns that emanate from poor password practices.
Pricing: Click here to get a custom quote.
Download: There are no free trials, but you can click here to book a demo.
1Password is a password manager and a virtual vault for storing your passwords, licenses, and other confidential information. It strikes the perfect balance between security and accessibility, so your passwords are protected without impacting employee efficiency.
1Password offers the following features for password security and management.
- Browser Extensions 1Password enhances employee productivity greatly. When you browse the web or visit specific sites, it provides intelligent auto-fill suggestions that can save time and effort. Also, if you’re creating a password for the first time on a site, it understands the site’s requirements and suggests passwords accordingly. Further, when users create a password, it is automatically stored in the vault.
- Personalized Collections With 1Password, an employee can see just those passwords that she/he is authorized to view. These passwords are combined in collections and they can even be divided across groups/teams for easy access. Such personal collections enhance usability and boost security by preventing unauthorized browsing or viewing.
- User Experience 1Passwords has a lot of emphasis on user experience. In particular, you can switch to a dark mode at any time. Also, the UI has been designed using the Knox language, so the look and feel are consistent across devices. The icons are intuitive as well while the unified title bar simplifies navigation.
- Improves Performance This platform is built on the Rust programming language, which is known for its efficient use of memory and other resources to provide top speed and performance. Further, all interaction points are optimized for a smooth and responsive experience.
- Setup and Search Setting up is simple and quick. You can migrate from previous versions of 1Password, add accounts from your web browser, and export passwords to a format called 1PUX for portability. Further, it supports the creation of as many vaults as required to organize and share passwords with others. You can also quickly find items while its smart search feature provides the most relevant results.
Overall, 1Password is a highly advanced enterprise password management solution that provides a good user experience along with top-notch security for your content and passwords.
1Password offers three plans, and they are:
- Teams Starter Pack – $19.95/month
- Business – $7.99/user/month
- Enterprise – Click here for a custom quote.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial of 1Password.
LastPass makes it easy to manage passwords from any device and any part of the world, so you can access services on the go. It comes with many advanced features that keep your passwords safe and enable easy sharing with other authorized users.
Below are the important features that impact your passwords.
- Quick Accessibility One of the highlights of LastPass is its easy accessibility. You can access it from any device and at any time, so nothing is impeded regardless of where you are. It also acts as centralized storage for all your passwords, so you can quickly find what you’re looking for.
- Strong Passwords LastPass comes with a built-in password generator that can create long and randomized passwords, thereby making it difficult for hackers to guess. It also prompts strong passwords for existing logins. Further, it monitors the dark web continuously and sends alerts if any of the passwords were detected in that environment. Based on these alerts, you can change the password and even enforce stricter rules for passwords.
- Simple Sharing This platform enables you to securely share the password and any other details with anyone. This is beneficial in two ways. Firstly, the password is not visible to unauthorized users and secondly, Lastpass can track who has accessed the password. All these add a security layer without compromising on user experience.
- Beyond Passwords On this platform, you can store not just passwords but also other confidential information, files, and just about anything you want. They remain secure and allow easy sharing with authorized users. In all, LastPass is a convenient way to store, use, and share credentials and other information with others.
The Business plans come in two flavors, and they are:
- Teams: $4/user/month
- Business: $6/user/month
Both the plans are billed annually.
4. ManageEngine Password Manager Pro
ManageEngine’s Password Manager Pro is a secure vault for storing sensitive information and passwords. It also manages and streamlines access to sensitive information to ensure that it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
Some of the features of ManageEngine’s Password Management Pro are as follows.
- Privileged Governance The biggest advantage of Password Management Pro is its privileged governance. With this tool, you can have granular control over password ownership and sharing. It also comes with AD/LDAP integration, so you can provide role-based or department-based access when needed.
- Remote Password Password Management Pro supports remote password synchronization, which means, you can integrate passwords across all devices from your network in a central place. It also handles automatic password resets and password policy enforcement across the entire infrastructure. All these mean no more hardcoded credentials and automated updates from any part of your network.
- Advanced Security This platform uses advanced security mechanisms such as two-factor authentication, SSH keys, SSL certification, FIPS 140-2 compliance, and more. All these ensure that your data is always safe and secure.
- Auditing and Compliance Password Management Pro comes with many built-in report templates that give a clear idea of your organization’s state of security. These reports can also be customized to meet your specific needs. All these come in handy for your internal auditing as well. Further, it sends real-time alerts and notifications when some values go below/above the established threshold.
Overall, Password Management Pro is a comprehensive platform for securely managing your passwords and other confidential information.
Pricing: Click here to get an online quote.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial.
5. Passbolt Cloud
PassBolt Cloud is an open-source password manager designed specifically for IT teams. It is conducive for SecOps, DevOps, and collaboration among teams. Its automation and flexibility add to its appeal.
Here are some of Passbolt’s features.
- Easy Setup A cool feature of Passbolt is its easy setup. You can deploy this platform within minutes on your infrastructure. The advantage of such a deployment is you’re always in control of your data and can customize it to meet your specific needs.
- Works Across Devices You can use your passwords seamlessly across devices. Also, password sharing happens in real-time, so access is instant for authorized people. At the time of writing this piece, Passbolt has announced that desktop apps will be available soon and this is sure to add to your convenience and ease of use.
- Designed for IT Teams Passbolt is designed primarily for IT teams, which means, you can use code and APIs to customize it. For example, you can store and retrieve passwords using the JSON APIs and can automate processes through the Command Line Interface (CLI). You can also access logs in real-time.
- Compliant with GDPR This company is based in Europe and hence, is compliant with the stringent GDPR regulations. Needless to say, it complies with most other privacy and security guidelines as well.
In all, Passbolt is a good choice for IT teams that prefer to use its open-source code to further customize this platform for their specific requirements.
To conclude, password management solutions take your organization one step closer towards top-notch security as they secure passwords, their access, and sharing process. These features reduce the chances of a password leak or change by unauthorized people. The built-in tracking and logging mechanism also keeps tabs on who accessed which password and when. All these aspects sure add another security layer to your organization.
We hope the above-mentioned details and features ease your decision-making. Do check out our other guides here.