Cyberattacks have been on the rise for the last few years, and in particular, the DDoS attacks have been growing at the rate of 2.6% since 2015. It is estimated that there were more than 17 million attacks in 2020 alone. Also, the average size of a DDoS attack is nearing 1Gbps, and that’s enough to take down most organizations.
Here is our list of the best DDoS Protection Services:
- SolarWinds Security Event Manager – FREE TRIAL Gathers data from many sources, parses, and analyzes them to identify possible threats.
- Sucuri Cloud-based Intrusion Prevention System that protects applications from DDoS attacks.
- StackPath Comes with specialized DDoS protection technology and advanced network architecture to protect the vulnerable layers.
- Indusface AppTrana A comprehensive security solution that detects application-layer vulnerabilities and blocks possible threats and attacks.
- Cloudflare secures websites, applications, and even networks with its 51 Tbps network service.
What is a DDoS attack?
A Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) is a kind of cyberattack where the perpetrator makes a service, application, or machine unavailable for its users. Essentially, it disrupts the hosts’ connection to the Internet temporarily or permanently, and this causes them to become unavailable for users.
Cybercriminals carry out this attack by flooding the host with multiple requests that exceed the system’s capacity to handle these requests with its existing resources. As a result, the response may be slow or the host can even crash completely.
How to Protect Your Organization From a DDoS attack?
Preventing a DDoS attack is much easier than recovering from one.
To protect your organization,
- Secure your network
- Create a strong network architecture that is resistant to attacks
- Educate your employees on the warning signs
- Create a response plan for DDoS attacks
The good news is there are many DDoS protection services available today that you can leverage to protect your organization from an attack.
5 Best DDoS Protection Service
Here are some of the best DDoS protection services that offer end-to-end protection for your network.
The SolarWinds Security Event Manager is a Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution that comes with hundreds of connectors that gather data from different sources, parses them, and puts them in a central location to make it easy for you to identify the threats.
It also comes with advanced capabilities for fixing the most common threats quickly, while its extensive logging process is ideal for audits and compliance.
Let’s take a deep-dive into its key features.
- Comes with pfSense reporting and analysis for improved monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Aggregates and analyzes logs
- Its APT software detects threats across environments
- The centralized logon audit events monitor tracks the logon and logoff events
- Continuous risk monitoring and active compliance verification features provide improved compliance risk management.
- Automates log aggregation, analysis, and reporting
- Uses botnet detection capabilities to provide real-time awareness of the situation
- Offers greater control with its centralized log management
- Instantly reports compliance policy violations
- Comes with a cyber threat intelligence framework for quickly identifying and responding to threats
- Automates the regulatory process with its DISA STIG compliance tools
- Monitors file activities to protect highly-sensitive information
- Complies with HIPAA and other security regulations.
Subscription to this tool starts at $2,613.
Click here for a fully-functional 30-day free trial.
2. Sucuri Website Firewall
Sucuri Website Firewall, as the name suggests, is a cloud-based Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) designed to exclusively protect websites. It operates as a reverse proxy to intercept and inspect all the incoming and outgoing requests, both HTTP and HTTPS, to a website. Based on its monitoring, it removes the malicious requests.
Here are some of the salient features of this tool.
- Its application profiling feature learns the intricacies of an application and accordingly, identifies the first signs of an attack
- The Sucuri WAF Blacklist identifies viruses, blacklists them, and ensures that they don’t reach your website at all.
- The correlation engine understands the behavior of an application and compares it to the behavior in real-time to identify potential attacks and threats.
- Identifies botnets and blocks them to prevent DDoS attacks
- Increases the speed of loading time by 70% through a robust Content Delivery Network.
- Runs on a proprietary Global Distributed Anycast Network (GDAN) to allow the nearest node to respond to a request, thereby greatly increasing the speed of website loading.
- Increases SEO ratings by including an SSL certificate and enhanced speed through GDAN
- Protects against a ton of cyberattacks such as DDoS, cross-site scripting, remote file inclusion, brute force attempts, and more.
Sucuri website Firewall comes in three plans, namely,
- Basic ($199/year/site)
- Pro ($299/year/site)
- Business ($499/year/site)
The key difference between the three plans is the frequency scan, which is once every 12 hours in Basic, six hours in Pro, and 30 minutes in Business. Also, the malware is removed within six hours in the Pro plan while there is no removal in the other two plans.
Besides, there is also a custom solution if you need custom coverage for many websites.
This tool offers no free trial. So, you can click here to get started on the Basic plan.
3. StackPath Web Application Firewall
StackPath Web Application Firewall (WAF) is designed to analyze and filter HTTP traffic that protects web applications from hackers. It also comes with a specialized DDoS protection technology and advanced network architecture that protect the vulnerable OSI layers of 3,4 and 7 from a cyberattack.
StackPath WAF comes with the following features.
- Its total network capacity is 65Tbps, which is 50x bigger than the largest DDoS attack reported to date.
- Every StackPath edge location analyzes, prevents, identifies, and mitigates a DDoS attack.
- All network traffic is fully encrypted
- Constantly scans and monitors websites to prevent cyberattacks
- Provides extensive configuration management option to authenticate, prevent, and resolve security issues
- Comes with strict security policies and procedures
- Addresses the full-range of DDoS attack methods such as UDP, SYN, and HTTP floods.
- Distributes intelligence about DDoS attacks to all edges to globally block them.
- Has customized servers and networking equipment that provides deep protection to applications.
- Supports advanced DDoS threshold configurations
- Its unique JS validation techniques identify and block bots.
- Provides real-time intelligence to create relevant security policies
The cost depends on the type and number of resources. For virtual machines, it is $0.049 per hour per machine while for containers, it is $0.046 per hour per container.
Serverless scripting across 45+ edge locations handling 15M requests per month costs $10/month. The cost for additional requests is $0.60 for every million.
This service is also delivered as three bundles and they are:
Edge Delivery 20
Edge delivery 200
Edge delivery 2000
While there is no free trial, click here to get started.
4. Indusface AppTrana
Indusface AppTrana is a fully-managed security solution that detects application-layer vulnerabilities, protects the network with a web application firewall, monitors traffic continuously, and blocks possible threats and attacks.
In other words, it is a one-stop solution that addresses all your security requirements.
Some of the salient features of AppTrana are:
- Identifies vulnerabilities in applications
- Patches these vulnerabilities immediately, based on the application’s needs
- Provides a complete managed security service
- Continuously monitors the security of applications through automated security scans to prevent DDoS attacks
- Zero false positives
- Improves the performance of websites
- Gives a 360-degree view of application security through its portal
- Provides actionable intelligence to make it easier for website and application owners to apply custom security rules
- Complies with PCI DSS 6.6
- Zero maintenance from an owner’s perspective
- Leverages carrier-grade CDN for the fastest service
- Gives a real-time update of the status of DDoS attacks
- Comes with out-of-the-box rules like bot mitigation, rate limiting, and more
- Undertakes pen-testing by experts to identify vulnerabilities
- It monitors the system continuously and raises an alarm when traffic exceeds the threshold.
AppTrana has two pricing tiers – The Premium plan priced at $399/app/month and the Advanced plan priced at $99/app/month.
The key difference between the two plans is that the Premium plan is designed as fully-managed site security whereas the Advanced plan provides just comprehensive site security.
The Advanced plan provides a 14-day free trial. Click here to start this trial.
Cloudflare is a comprehensive DDoS protection service that secures websites, applications, and even complete networks. According to the company, it blocks 72 billion threats per day with a 51 Tbps network.
The key features of this tool are:
- Protects against layer 3 and 4 DDoS attacks
- Provides fine-grained traffic control
- Its rate-limiting features protect against all forms of brute force attacks
- The automatic learning platform analyzes network traffic in real-time to identify malicious requests
- Offers predictive security that is based on IP
- Protects against Layer 7 application vulnerabilities.
It offers four pricing plans and they are:
- Free – ideal for individuals with personal or hobby projects
- Pro ($20/month) – Geared for people who want to protect their blog or website.
- Business ($200/month) – Ideal for small businesses operating online
- Enterprise (custom quote) – This is most-suited for mission-critical applications
Contact the sales team to get a custom quote for the Enterprise plan.
To try the free plan, click here to get started.
Choosing a DDoS Protection Service
To conclude, DDoS attacks are on the rise and it has become important for organizations to take all possible steps to prevent these attacks by securing their systems and having a response plan in place. The above-mentioned five tools come with a ton of advanced features that can help any organization to protect its assets from DDoS attacks.