Cybercrime has unfortunately become an integral part of our digital lives today. Almost every organization in the world today has reported a data breach or a cyberattack at least once, and this goes to show the ubiquity of these attacks.
Here is our list of the best attack surface monitoring tools:
- ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus – FREE TRIAL A software solution offered by ManageEngine, assists companies in identifying and remedying vulnerabilities within their devices and network.
- Rapid7 InsightVM This is an advanced vulnerability assessment and mitigation tool that continuously scans your network, discovers vulnerabilities, and automatically remediates them when possible.
- CoalFire Attack Surface Management This continuous attack surface management service identifies, prioritizes, and manages your external-facing assets to reduce the chances of an attack.
- Immuniweb Discovery This AI platform enables businesses of all sizes to test and secure their applications, cloud services, devices, and networks from external threats.
- CyCognito Attack Surface Management This tool scans your attack surface area to identify vulnerabilities and reports the same for quick and easy mitigation.
- UpGuard BreachSight This comprehensive tool not only monitors your attack surface area but also prevents breaches and protects your sensitive information including customers’ data.
Typically, hackers exploit one or more vulnerabilities in an organization to enter its network and commit a crime such as stealing data, locking the critical systems to demand a ransom, exhausting the organization’s digital resources, and more.
The vulnerabilities or the areas that are susceptible to these attacks is called an attack surface. It includes both physical areas such as data centers and digital areas such as unpatched user devices, an unprotected network, and more.
Organizations routinely assess their vulnerabilities and try to address the gaps. This is called attack surface analysis. Many strategies and tools that help with this attack surface analysis and organizations take the information gathered from these tools to understand their current security state and to take further action to mitigate an attack.
In this article, we will take a look at some of the best attack surface monitoring tools and their features to help you decide the best fit for your organization.
The Best Attack Surface Monitoring Tools
Let’s now jump into a detailed look at the offerings of each of these tools.
1. ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus – FREE TRIAL
ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus uses vulnerability scanning to detect potential vulnerabilities such as insecure configurations or outdated patches and subsequently generates comprehensive reports of its findings.
- Comprehensive vulnerability discovery and remediation
- Streamlined remediation with root cause analysis
- Automated scanning and reporting
The software also provides asset management, compliance reporting, and patch management capabilities to aid businesses in securing their IT infrastructure. In addition, it offers remediation recommendations, including detailed instructions and connections to relevant resources, to help companies address vulnerabilities identified.
Proactively identifying and addressing security gaps, Vulnerability Manager Plus can enhance the overall security of a business’s network and devices.
- Excellent for ongoing scanning and patching throughout the lifespan of any device
- Strong reporting capabilities can demonstrate progress after remediation
- Versatile – can operate on Windows, Linux, and Mac
- The threat intelligence database is regularly updated with the latest threats and vulnerabilities
- Offers a free version, ideal for small businesses
- The ManageEngine ecosystem is quite complex, best suited for large-scale organizations
Website Link: https://www.manageengine.com/vulnerability-management/
Download: Click here to download your ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus fully functional 30-day free trial.
2. Rapid7 InsightVM
InsightVM from Rapid7 is a comprehensive attack surface monitoring tool that continuously scans your attack surface area for possible vulnerabilities and reports the same. Undoubtedly, it provides better risk clarity and even tracks the progress you’ve made in fixing the reported vulnerabilities.
- Comprehensive Data Gathering InsightVM has lightweight endpoint agents that continuously gather data from all your endpoints, including the devices used by remote workers. It even monitors those endpoints that join the network only occasionally. This continuous and automatic data gathering can alert you when some values indicate a likely attack.
- Intuitive Dashboards InsightVM’s dashboards are easy to read and provide the latest information updated in real-time. This means what you see on the screen is the current state of your network’s security. Also, these dashboards are interactive and you can quickly find the information you want. Further, you can create custom cards and dashboards to meet your requirements.
- Real Risk Prioritization Using advanced AI algorithms, InsightVM can prioritize the identified risks, so you know which ones have to be addressed first. This ranking is based on thousands of critical parameters gathered from different sources. Undoubtedly, it gives a better sense of direction for your organization as your employees know which issues must be addressed right away.
- Integration with Existing Tools InsightVM integrates well with your existing CI/CD tools and public and private container repositories to identify vulnerabilities before they are deployed. In turn, this can help you to secure the containers and their hosts. Further, you can use InsightVM’s RESTful APIs to integrate with your infrastructure and tools for better control and visibility over all that happens within your network.
In all, InsightVM is an advanced tool that continuously monitors the attack surface areas to identify vulnerabilities, prioritize them, and send notifications to the concerned team for immediate remediation.
Pricing: The cost depends on the number of assets you choose. For 500 assets, it costs $1.84/asset/month. This goes down as you increase the assets. For example, if you increase to 1,000 assets, the cost goes down to $1.63/asset/month.
Free Trial: Click here to get started.
3. CoalFire Attack Surface Management
CoalFire Attack Surface Management is a managed service that continuously monitors your external-facing assets to identify vulnerabilities. In the process, it also offers complete control and visibility into your endpoints and devices.
- Provides a Better Understanding of your Environment CoalFire’s Attack Surface Management (ASM) continuously monitors your network and devices and as a result, provides a better understanding of your environment. In particular, it focuses on the external-facing assets that have a higher chance of facing an attack and reports their critical performance parameters. Such detailed information helps to not just identify attacks but also to stay on top of the changes that happen in your environment.
- Advanced Automation CoalFire’s advanced automation capabilities help you to identify unknown assets, so you can better manage the potential security gaps, and can accordingly prioritize your remediation efforts. You can even set up this tool to perform basic remediation processes when specific events happen.
- Handles Penetration Testing The security team handles penetration testing for cloud providers, small and medium businesses, and large enterprises. Its team of advanced security personnel conduct more than 1,000 penetration tests a year and has been consistently ranked #1 under the U.S. government’s Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP).
- Multitude of Reports CoalFire has comprehensive reporting and logging capabilities, so you can generate reports quickly for both internal and external auditing and compliance. These reports also help with making key decisions such as capacity planning, optimal use of available resources, budgeting, and more.
Overall, CoalFire is a well-known attack surface monitoring tool that combines penetration testing with automation to provide higher visibility and emerging threats in your environment.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Free Trials: CoalFire doesn’t offer free trials at the time of writing this piece. However, you may contact the company to get answers to your questions and concerns.
4. ImmuniWeb Discovery
ImmuniWeb Discovery leverages Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) and combines it with its AI capabilities to help detect vulnerabilities in attack surface areas. This uses a continuous self-assessment and risk-scoring process to identify threats and gaps as they emerge within your organization.
- Maps and Classifies Threats The highlight of ImmuniWeb Discovery is that it continuously scans the attack surface areas to quickly detect threats. Using this information, it also maps them and even classifies the threats based on their likely impact, so you can mitigate the most critical ones right away. It also classifies threats into on-prem and cloud assets to point your troubleshooting efforts in the right direction.
- Dark Web Monitoring One of the likely impacts of a hacking incident is the availability of your classified information on the dark web. Some hacking incidents may go unnoticed for many weeks or months and will come to light only when your sensitive information is sold on the dark web. To avoid such embarrassments and to help identify attacks quickly, ImmuniWeb continuously monitors the dark web for any information about your company.
- High Visibility ImmuniWeb Discovery provides one of the highest levels of visibilities into your attack surface areas and the potential vulnerabilities hiding there. Its central dashboard provides a snapshot of the status of your vulnerabilities and their causes, access information, compliance, and more. You can also generate reports through this dashboard.
- Comprehensive ImmuniWeb Discovery goes beyond the known vulnerabilities and conflicts as it provides alerts on misconfigured IT assets, abandoned or forgotten assets, and even shadow IT resources. It also scores your vendors and suppliers to prevent any supply chain attacks.
In all, ImmuniWeb Discovery is a good choice if you want an overarching view of all your assets and vulnerabilities in a centralized location.
ImmuniWeb Discovery offers four pricing plans and they are:
- Ultimate – $3,995/month, paid annually.
- Corporate Pro – $1,995/month when paid annually and $4,995/month for a monthly subscription.
- Corporate – $995/month, paid annually.
- Express Pro – $499/month, paid annually.
Free Demo: Click here to see a free demo.
5. CyCognito Attack Surface Management
CyCognito is a SaaS platform that automatically monitors your attack surface area to protect your organization from possible risks and vulnerabilities.
- Mitigates the Digital Transformation Risks As more companies move their operations online, managing the security and IT assets can become complex and challenging. This is where CyCognito can come in handy as it monitors the cloud, shadow IT, digital supply chains, and endpoints for possible security gaps and vulnerabilities. It uses both vulnerability scanning and pen testing strategies to ensure that your attack surface area is as small as possible. Also, this tool sends instant alerts in the event of new vulnerabilities or widening of the existing ones.
- Helps Quick Remediation CyCognito not just sends alerts, but also prioritizes the threats based on the likely impact of each security gap. This is sure to help your IT personnel to focus their efforts towards the most critical issues. Further, CyCognito can point you in the right direction, so you can quickly understand the root cause of the problem. Both these measures bring down your remediation effort from months to weeks and even days, thereby reducing the chances of an attack.
- Provides Visibility The dashboard provides a snapshot of your network’s and infrastructure’s state at any time. More importantly, it shows you the risks and vulnerabilities through the lens of an attacker that in turn, can help to avert any major incident.
- Analytics and Trends CyCognito continuously collects data from your attack surface areas and analyzes the same to provide valuable insights and trends. Armed with this information, you can use your resources optimally to thwart an attack.
In all, CyCognito discovers risks quickly, accelerates remediation, and enables you to use your resources effectively to protect your organization from any kind of attack.
Pricing: Contact CyCognito for pricing.
Demo Video: There are no free trials at the time of writing this piece, but you can watch a demo video here.
6. UpGuard BreachSight
UpGuard BreachSight is a complete attack surface management platform that goes beyond just preventing data breaches. It also discovers any leaked credentials belonging to your organization and through it protect your customers’ data in the best way possible.
- Uses Security Ratings UpGuard uses a unique algorithm to rank your organization’s current security status. It gathers data across many parameters and assesses them to give you an objective, dynamic, and comprehensive picture. Using this information, you can make appropriate data-driven decisions.
- Custom Notifications UpGuard comes with a bunch of default notifications and also allows you to create and manage custom notifications. Typically, you can set up notifications when your organization’s security score falls below a threshold, a drop in vendors’ scores, the addition of new devices, and more. You can use webhooks, labels, vendor tiers, apps, and emails for managing notifications.
- Continuous Monitoring This platform continuously monitors your attack surface area for any untoward incidents, risks, new domains and IPs, typosquatting, the presence of new vulnerabilities, and more. With such detailed information, your IT team can quickly zero in on the problems and fix them at the earliest.
- Reporting and Insights A highlight of Upguard BreachSight is its reporting capabilities. You can generate reports for the executives, classify the report into subsidiaries and departments, get role-based permissions, create audit logs, and more. Such granular control and visibility reduce the chances of attacks.
- More Integrations UpGuard has a RESTful API using which you can connect to any third-party service or app. It also integrates with Zapier and through it, you can connect to more services.
Overall, this is a complete attack surface management tool that can handle all aspects of vulnerability analysis and threat remediation.
UpGuard BreachSight has four plans, namely,
- Starter – $15,749/year. 50 vendors and three users.
- Professional – $36,749/year. 150 vendors and six users.
- Corporate – $83,999/year. Unlimited vendors and ten users.
- Enterprise – Contact the company for a custom quote.
Free Trial: Click here for a free trial.
Thus, these are some of the best attack surface monitoring tools for you to choose from.
To conclude, attack surface monitoring tools are an essential part of your IT security plan as they continuously monitor the attack surface areas of your organization and send alerts in case of changes or vulnerabilities. Some tools even provide additional information such as security rankings, the root cause of vulnerabilities, security gaps, and other pertinent information that can help with decision-making. All these tools also generate comprehensive reports that can be used for auditing.
We hope this was insightful for you! Make sure to check out our guides too.