In this information technology era, we rely on any number of software applications to perform day-to-day tasks and simplify things. To be more accurate, around 49% of people open an application almost 11+ times every single day. Also, you can find 2.87 million apps on the Google Play Store and 1.96 million apps on the Apple App Store for download.
Applications have become an important part of our lives as well as increasing the competition in the market. However, the success of every application completely depends on how it is performing and delivering results. If a user feels dissatisfied with an application, he will immediately switch to another platform for his queries.
With so many applications delivering similar services, no user would want to wait an extra hour to get a solution. Instead, he might reach your competitor and get quick results for his query. Hence, to keep track of the application’s performance and to figure out the cause for failure or slow queries, most developers demand application performance monitoring tools.
Application performance monitoring tools help discover the cause of slow queries, bugs, and other issues affecting the end-user experience. To meet the required performance standards and track an application’s performance metrics, it is best to invest in APM tools.
Here, we will discuss APM tools in detail, how they are beneficial to your organization, and a few practices that one must follow to deliver optimal end-user experience.
What is Application Monitoring?
Application monitoring is a process that helps developers detect bugs and faults responsible for affecting application performance. They provide real-time performance insights and aid in fixing issues faster. Using the reports generated from the tool, developers can better analyze and monitor every activity of the application.
Applications are a constant source of information for users across the globe. Hence, if you want your application to run successfully and bring in more traffic, use APM tools to keep track of every movement of your application.
The emerging applications have high usage of microservices and functions that cannot be monitored manually. The complex nature of software applications requires an automated tool to track every movement and performance. It is the main reason why APM tools are high in demand.
There are many backstage components in an application that must work together and operate in synchrony to ensure a smooth experience for users. Any fault in a single component can disrupt the functioning and increase the load time or display error messages on the screen. Hence, to monitor problems and fix them in real-time, we recommend Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solutions for each organization.
They enable developers to perform a detailed analysis of their performance and check on response times, errors, and a lot more before the user gets a hint of anything.
Why Do We Need Application Monitoring?
APM tools are not restricted to only monitoring the performance of applications. There are various other benefits of Application performance monitoring tools. With its proper use, your organization can get quick insights into the performance and fix errors in time.
Further, you can use it to track web requests and transactions ensuring that customers continue using the service with delight. A slow-down application can ruin your business and affect user experience, which is why most organizations are investing their trust in solutions that provide a detailed report on their performance.
These APM tools allow DevOps teams to measure and track every activity of the application. Further, they help discover the root cause for frequent downtimes and attacks. Another reason why your organization must invest in the APM tool is they allow you to monitor and detect errors in code-level performance.
Here are a few other reasons that will convince you why having an APM tool is a good choice for your organization:
- Enhanced Security Cybercriminals often look for different ways to enter your system and applications to breach the data. If these loopholes or entry points are not fixed on time, there are high chances that they may enter your territory and misuse your information. Hence, to protect your applications from becoming a victim of malicious attacks, set up application performance monitoring tools. Application performance monitoring tools not only aid businesses in monitoring their performance but also help detect security issues in real-time. Once your team of professionals detects and fixes the loopholes, there are high chances that your data will remain safe from theft and other malicious practices for a good time.
- Offers Instant Downtime Alerts Various reasons can lead to a bad user experience, such as server failure, slow query, page load time, etc. No matter what resulted in the application failure or downtime, it can impact your business performance and cause reputation damage. However, there are certain tools available in the market, like the application performance monitoring tool that provides instant alerts and notifications to DevOps teams on noticing any fault, error, or technical issue in the application. With quick updates, your business can fix issues and damage way before a user experiences them.
- Deliver Better Performance There is too much competition in the market as many applications launch each day. It is difficult to stay ahead of your competitors with proper tools and strategy. The more you work on your application and fix faults, the better it will deliver results and satisfy users. APM tools not only help manage the application performance but also help track the CPU memory, disk space utilization, and other aspects responsible for quick results. Many factors can cause an application to perform slowly. If you want to fix such issues and prevent them from affecting the end-user experience, go for Application performance monitoring tools. They have customizable dashboards that provide a holistic view of database health performance, and other aspects that need your immediate attention.
Application Performance Monitoring Best Practices
Now that you know how beneficial an application performance monitoring tool can be for your organization, it is time to understand how you can make the most out of it and deliver a valuable user experience.
To make it easy for you, we have listed some of the best practices that you may follow while setting up APM tools:
|Do Not Try Building Your APM solution||Most organizations get confused about whether to buy an APM tool or build one themself. Whatever your budget or requirement might be, it is much better if you try not to handcraft one for your organization.
APM tools are designed to look after unexpected issues in an application. If you try to build one on your own, you are in a way exposing your components to more risks and issues. Hence, rely on foolproof and trusted APM tools available in the market.
|Make sure to Select the Right Tool for Checking the Performance||There are many APM tools available in the market which makes it difficult to choose the right one for your business. Hence, make sure to research, and look for application requirements, service-level agreements (SLAs), and other factors before finalizing one.
Further, cross-check if the selected tool supports different programming languages, the pricing model, offers data granularity, integrates with third-party tools, etc.
Some might focus on only monitoring the application performance, but many tools offer additional features and look after the security and other aspects to deliver an optimal end-user experience. Hence, make an informed decision when choosing an APM tool for the job.
|Prefer Setting up a Customized Dashboard||Large-scale applications have enough data that cannot be monitored or visualized using a simple dashboard. It is a must to choose an APM tool that supports features to customize the appearance of your dashboard. A customized dashboard allows users to analyze what metrics provide the most relevant information and which functions require more attention.|
|Custom Alert Policies and Notifications||It is important to make sure that the selected APM tool provides instant alerts and notifications on noticing a fault or error in the application. It will help individuals in your team to timely get updates and fix issues before the user catches it and creates a negative thought about the application.
Each application is different; hence, you might want to set up your own set of alerting conditions depending on your requirement. Hence, choose a tool that allows you to configure custom alert policies and notifications.
|Maintenance||Another aspect one must look for when using an APM tool is they are easy to maintain. Organizational processes are constantly evolving, so it is best to invest in complicated automation that is difficult to troubleshoot.|
The Best Application Monitoring Tools
You can find several APM tools online but we have shortlisted the best ones that will surely fit your budget and deliver an optimal end-user experience.
ManageEngine Applications Manager is one of the popular APM solutions. Most developers trust ManageEngine Applications Manager for it provides deep insights and visibility into the performance of the application. Also, it helps resolve performance issues quickly with minimal overhead costs.
- On-premise and cloud deployments
- Customizable dashboard
- Monitor 50000+ applications
- Application dependency mapping
- SQL execution analysis
- Constant monitoring
- Offers graphical data visualizations
- Anomalies detection
- Reporting module
- Build an SLA-proof library
- Log monitoring
- Detect database and devices in real-time
Why do we recommend it?
We recommend ManageEngine Applications Manager for its comprehensive monitoring capabilities and intelligent alerting features, which enable quick issue resolution with minimal overhead costs.
It is compatible with all platforms, including Java, .NET, .NET core, Node.js, PHP, Ruby, etc., and comprises intelligent alerting capabilities.
With the right strategy and use of its advanced features, your organization can deliver optimal end-user experience and better outcomes.
Who is it recommended for?
This tool is ideal for enterprises that require robust application performance monitoring across multiple platforms such as Java, .NET, and Node.js. Its customizable dashboard and mobile accessibility make it suitable for managers and developers who need real-time insights on the go.
- The dashboard of the ManageEngine Applications Manager can also be accessed via mobile devices
- It is compatible with applications running on Windows, Ubuntu, Oracle Enterprise Linux, and other platforms
- Allows users to identify devices and detect databases in real-time
- Supports log monitoring to track memory usage and visualize a holistic view of the database health performance
- The detailed version may take time for you to master all functions and features supported by the APM tool
ManageEngine Applications Manager has a customizable dashboard that covers each service your enterprise relies on for monitoring, such as ERP suites, databases, web applications, etc. Additionally, you can perform analysis on SQL execution to detect and track some of the inefficiently structured database queries running on your application.
2. Datadog APM
If you are looking for an APM tool that allows your organization to track applications running on cloud-based, on-premises, and hybrid systems, invest in Datadog. Datadog is a cloud-based tool that can keep track of all applications, infrastructure, and event logs in real-time. It provides actionable insights and enables you to discover bugs and other issues in seconds.
- Offers End-to-End Distributed Tracing
- Dependency mapping
- Activity monitoring
- Code profiling
- Superior Granularity
- Machine learning and AI-powered alerts
- 600+ Integrations support
- Supports Webhooks
Why do we recommend it?
We recommend Datadog APM for its exceptional real-time monitoring and AI-powered alerts, which enable quick detection and resolution of issues across a variety of systems, including cloud-based, on-premises, and hybrid.
With the help of the Datadog Application Performance Monitoring solution, you can examine problems way faster than other tools. Also, it triggers alerts on detecting live anomalies.
Who is it recommended for?
Datadog APM is well-suited for DevOps teams and professionals who require an all-encompassing view of their application’s performance. Its extensive range of features, including end-to-end distributed tracing and over 600 integrations, make it ideal for complex, multi-platform environments.
- Quickly discovers bugs and other issues responsible for reputation damage caused by the application
- Allows DevOps teams to monitor automatic deployments
- The full visibility option allows professionals to look after each application’s code performance clearly
- Use app analytics to discover customer requests
- Permits users to customize alert features and update instantly on detecting unanticipated outliers
- Gives a holistic view of network performance and database health
- Allows experts to monitor each application internally and externally
- Need to work on short trial periods for testing
Datadog has various advanced features that make it top in the list, such as end-to-end distributed tracing, full visibility, dependency mapping, etc. With proper strategy and utilization of the tool, your team can monitor the code performance and fix them in real time before any damage takes place.
If you are looking for an application monitoring tool compatible with various platforms, we recommend you go for Site24x7 Application Performance Monitoring. It is a cloud-based comprehensive APM solution that allows developers to monitor and measure application performance in real-time across several platforms like Ruby, Java, .net, etc.
- Quick Anomaly Detection
- Supports Java, Ruby, and other programming languages
- Compatible with monitoring applications on cloud servers and mobile devices
- Real-time device discovery
- Supports AI-powered alerts
- Monitor and Identify code errors
- Supports real user monitoring
- Track application dependencies
Why do we recommend it?
We recommend Site24x7 because it offers comprehensive real-time application monitoring across various platforms and languages. Its quick anomaly detection and AI-powered alerts make it efficient for identifying and resolving issues promptly.
It is one of the best APM tools available in the market as it allows you to quickly check on the errors in the code and keep track of application behavior. Another benefit of Site24x7 Application Performance Monitoring is it provides detailed access to performance metrics of mobile applications. Get insightful details and track application dependencies at a single glance with its advanced features.
Who is it recommended for?
Site24x7 is ideal for development teams and IT professionals who need a multi-faceted, cloud-based APM solution. It is especially useful for those who manage applications across different programming languages and platforms, including mobile devices.
- Site24x7 helps monitor real users, infrastructure, and networks in real-time
- Uses real-time data to build inventory reports
- Site24x7 is an intuitive platform and requires minimal training
- Helps quickly discover and remediate technical issues and code errors
- Allow professionals to track the end-user experience of your system from multiple geographical locations
- Site24x7 is a detailed platform, i.e., it will require time to learn every feature and supported function
Furthermore, the trusted Site24x7 Application Performance Monitoring tool discovers slow queries, analyzes performance, and generates reports for varied periods.
If your application takes a long time to load or displays errors frequently on the screen, chances are high that the user will switch to another application. As a result, an application failure can ruin your business goodwill. Hence, to monitor, manage, and measure the performance of your application, it is best to invest your time and money into top application performance management tools.
These powerful tools enable businesses to keep the system running and protect against disasters. With proper insights and reports, your organization will be able to better track the faults and bugs causing disruption and creating a negative impact on your performance. Using the APM tools, you can further prevent problems faster.
If you don’t want users to have a bad experience or make constant Help Desk calls for your application, it is best to invest in our shared list of Application Performance Monitoring tools. Most of them are compatible with on-premises and cloud-based application performance monitoring. Based on your IT support strategy and budget, choose a suitable tool and monitor the application’s performance in real-time.
It does not matter which business type you have; the shared list of tools plays a key role in reducing the number of Help Desk calls. ManageEngine Applications Manager, Datadog APM, and Site 24×7 Application Performance Monitoring are some of the popular and trusted tools that help resolve performance issues faster. Additionally, they provide deep insights and visibility into each organization. In a way, they enable us to measure and manage the faults in real-time.
Also, we have listed some of the best practices that you can follow to improve application monitoring and deliver an optimal end-user experience. As said above, rather than building an APM solution on your own, go for a foolproof and trusted APM tool available in the market.