NetApp is a popular storage hardware and software solution provided by a company called NetApp Inc.
This app is popular because it drives efficiency and reduces cost in all tiers of storage equipment and this improves the overall storage efficiency for organizations.
Though this storage app is highly efficient, it is still necessary to monitor it to ensure high levels of security, availability, and performance.
Here is our list of the top NetApp Monitoring tools:
- IntelliMagic Vision for SAN – EDITOR’S CHOICE This cloud-based SaaS solution provides multi-level monitoring and deep analysis for NetApp FAS arrays, SAN storage, VMware, and Fabric. It utilizes advanced algorithms, statistical analysis, and a slew of best practices to automatically identify bottlenecks, configuration issues, and potential capacity constraints. Request a free trial.
- SolarWinds NetApp Storage Performance Monitoring – FREE TRIAL This monitoring system tracks live statuses and stores statistics for historical analysis of SAN performance. Runs on Windows Server. Start the 30-day free trial.
- ManageEngine ADAudit Plus – FREE TRIAL A package of tools that will implement file integrity monitoring and protect permissions stored in Active Directory against tampering. Available for Windows Server, Azure, and AWS. Start 30-day free trial.
- Paessler PRTG A package of monitoring systems for networks, servers, and applications that includes a specialized sensor for SAN monitoring. Runs on Windows Server.
- NetApp ONTAP A data protection monitoring suite for NetApp systems that includes ransomware protection with access controls and file integrity monitoring. Server runs on Windows, Unix, Linux, and macOS.
- Nagios NetApp Monitoring Nagios is an all-round system monitoring tool that can be expanded by plugins to addon capabilities. There are a number of plugins for SAN server monitoring. Installs on Linux.
- LogicMonitor NetApp Monitoring This is a cloud-based monitoring platform that can be extended by integrations and there is an extension for NetApp, which covers SAN.
- Netwrix Auditor for NetApp A free monitoring tool that covers SAN servers. Runs on Windows and Windows Server.
- OPSView Monitor A monitoring system for applications and servers that covers SAN through its NetApp monitoring capabilities. Available for Linux or as a cloud-based service.
Related Post: Best Storage Monitoring and Management Software
The Best NetApp Monitoring Tools & Software:
There are many NetApp monitoring tools and software available today to help you stay on top of the Netapp storage hardware and software.
Our methodology for selecting NetApp monitoring tools
We reviewed the market for NetApp storage monitoring software and analyzed the options based on the following criteria:
- A system that is able to examine the multiple levels of services that compose a NetApp FAS
- A package that will simultaneously watch each member of an array
- A service that includes network load balancer monitoring to watch the distribution of storage actions
- The ability to extract activity data from the NetApp system management module
- Capacity planning assistance through demand predictions
- A free trial or a demo of the monitor to assess it before paying
- Value for money from a monitoring service that can improve the performance of a NetApp and provide better ROI
Let’s take a detailed look at each of these tools.
1. IntelliMagic Vision for SAN – FREE TRIAL
IntelliMagic Vision for SAN is a particularly valuable NetApp monitoring solution for sites that operate in a multi-vendor storage environment. The ability of this system to unify the monitoring of different vendor Storage solutions, VMware, and SAN Fabric saves time switching between system monitoring consoles.
- Provides near real-time performance metrics for NetApp, SAN storage, VMware, and Fabric
- Enables users to group application volumes for visualization of key applications’ performance and capacity
- Offers space consumption trending and forecasting for storage and VMware
- Provides flexible reporting with customizable charts
- Offers dynamic drill-downs for detailed analysis
- Enables easy creation and sharing of custom dashboards with colleagues
- Includes dynamic alert thresholds based on advanced algorithms
- Utilizes lightweight collectors for monitoring
- Provides secure SaaS environment
- Enables monitoring of multiple data centers together
- Leverages AI to monitor and analyze multiple I/O stack levels including storage, Fabric, and VMware.
- End-to-end visibility from VMware through the fabric to the storage in just two mouse clicks.
- Automatically identifies significant changes in workload.
- Automatically identifies sub-optimal SAN fabric configuration.
- Alert thresholds are adjusted by AI
- Correlates demand and load with FAS capabilities
- Allows multiple sites to be monitored together
- Lacks file-level monitoring
Price: Pricing for IntelliMagic Vision’s SaaS offering depends on total storage size and number of fabric ports. Request a customized quote. Click here to request a free trial of IntelliMagic Vision for SAN.
IntelliMagic Vision for SAN is our top pick for a NetApp monitoring tool because it offers specialized NetApp FAS monitoring that watches network interface activity as well as the transactions on each component of the FAS array. Watching over a NetApp FAS is a complicated process because the successful operation of the platform covers most layers of the service stack. You need to look at network performance through the load balancers, hardware capacity, and operating system efficiency simultaneously on multiple units. It monitors all of your NetApp storage alongside your storage arrays from other hardware vendors in a single pane of glass with your configuration topology and Brocade and Cisco fabric.
Official Site: https://www.intellimagic.com/contact/start-trial/
OS: Delivered as a SaaS solution
2. SolarWinds NetApp Storage Performance Efficiency Monitoring and Reporting System – FREE TRIAL
The NetApp Storage Performance Efficiency Monitoring and Reporting System from SolarWinds is part of the Storage Resource Monitor. It gives you complete control over the working and performance of the NetApp.
- Monitors the health of your NetApp storage at filers, RAID groups, and volume levels.
- Stays on top of the key metrics such as latency and throughput.
- Uses historical data to get a pattern of past outages.
- Sends instant alerts
- Collects data and predicts when your storage will likely get depleted.
- Helps with proactive capacity planning
- Creates well-structured reports and sends them through email, depending on your settings.
- Storage resource monitor for a range of storage systems
- Integrates with other SolarWinds tools for networks and applications
- NetApp I/O monitoring for array management
- Analytical tool that operates on recorded performance statistics
- No SaaS options
Download: Click here to download a fully functional 30-day trial.
3. ManageEngine ADAudit Plus – FREE TRIAL
ManageEngine ADAudit Plus is an activity auditing system that protects files from tampering by logging the user account involved in access. It also records the changes made in each session and attributes them to an AD-stored user account.
- NetApp file observability
- Live NetApp CIFS auditing
- NetApp file settings change logging
- Alerts by email or SMS
- User behavior analysis (UBA)
- Options to run the software on AWS or Azure
- Compliance auditing for SOX, HIPAA, PCI-DSS, FISMA, and GLBA
The file integrity monitoring functions in ADAudit Plus extend to NetApp files and CIFS shares. The package analyzes permissions changes in Active Directory and provides options for automated responses to permissions changes or alterations in file contents.
- File integrity monitor
- Interacts with NetApp storage management system
- User activity monitoring
- More a user activity monitor than a facilities monitor
Pricing: Free edition for monitoring up to 25 workstations. Two paid versions:
- Standard: Implements file integrity monitoring from $595
- Professional: Adds on Active Directory DC protection from $945
Download: Get a 30-day free trial.
4. Paessler PRTG
Paessler is a renowned name in the world of network monitoring. Its flagship product called PRTG Monitor uses a sensor-based system to monitor different attributes and components in a network. For NetApp monitoring, it uses a sensor called SNMP NetApp System Health Sensor.
As the name suggests, this sensor monitors the health of NetApp using SNMP. It shows the following values.
- CPU load in percent
- Number of active restores
- Number of current CIFS users
- Number of active disks
- Number of disks being added
- Number of disks being scrubbed
- Number of failed disks
- Number of soon failing disks
- Number of disks being out of date
- Number of reconstructing (parity) disks
- Number of spare disks
- Total number of disks
- Number of verifying (parity) disks
- Number of failed fans
- Number of failed power supplies
- Maximum used disk space in percent
- Maximum used INodes in percent
- If the environment is over temperature
- Customizable monitoring package
- NetApp hardware monitoring
- NetApp activity statistics
- No device management functions
Pricing: The cost depends on the number of sensors you plan to sue besides this one. The first 100 sensors are free.
Download: Click here to download the free version.
5. NetApp ONTAP
NetApp ONTAP is a security monitoring suite for NetApp storage systems that protects data on your premises or in the cloud. This data management system also provides activity and hardware performance statistics.
- Provided by NetApp
- Range of deployment options
- Monitors on-premises and cloud storage systems
- Provides the mechanisms to implement Zero Trust Access
- Encrypts data in storage
- Implements access controls
- Offers ransomware protection
- NetApp device activity monitoring
- Performance monitoring
- Protects data held on NetApp systems on-premises and in the cloud
- Cloud backup option
- Data security monitoring
- Not one single solution
Pricing: Contact the Sales Department to get a price list.
Download: Contact the Sales Department to get a demo.
6. Nagios NetApp Monitoring
Nagios’ NetApp monitoring tool is a comprehensive one developed to monitor all aspects of NetApp including the free space, file system use, quotas, and the overall health.
- Monitors many key metrics such as CPU load, the global status of the filer, number of failed disks, cache age, and number of ndmp sessions.
- Quickly detects network outages and storage subsystem problems.
- Gives the option to control NetApp monitoring using Nagios scripts and plugins.
- Monitors NetApp hardware on premises
- Available in both the free and paid versions of Nagios
- Tracks NetApp network activity
- No version for Windows
Pricing: Nagios XI provides this NetApp monitoring functionality and it costs $1,995 for the standard edition and $3,495 for the enterprise edition.
Download: You can download a free trial here.
7. LogicMonitor NetApp Monitoring
LogicMonitor’s NetApp monitoring tool automatically monitors the performance and health of NetApp storage.
- Requires no extra configuration, thereby making it ideal for users with all levels of technical knowledge.
- Offers trending graphs and alerts to give you a clear idea of your NetApp’s performance.
- Provides the right information that will help you to solve strategic problems at the earliest.
- Monitors many metrics such as CPU usage, latency, status, volume, and HBA monitoring.
- Comes bundled with the LogicMonitor platform.
- A plug-in to the main LogicMonitor system monitoring package
- Provides physical device status tracking
- Alerts for capacity problems
- Not a standalone monitoring product
Pricing: The cost of LogicMonitor platform depends on the volume and number of devices. You can book a demo here to get more details about pricing.
Download: Click here to download a free 14-day trial.
8. Netwrix Auditor for NetApp
Netwrix Auditor is a free NetApp monitoring tool that keeps you up-to-date on changes and allows you to access events on your NetApp filers.
- Sends information about user activity on NetApp filers.
- Collects event logs, analyzes information and gives the results in a human-readable format.
- Provides information about all data access attempts, and any changes to permissions, files, and folders. Indicates the success or failure of each data attempt.
- Accumulates data from various sources and sends email summaries for easy readability.
- Reports are meaningful and informative and minimize the need to run manual scripts.
- The Community Edition of the paid Netwrix Auditor
- User activity tracking
- Customizable alerts for data access
- The paid version has more features
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download Netwrix Auditor.
9. OPSView Monitor
OPSView Monitor is a tool that allows you to monitor different parameters.
- Monitors the disk for read and write usage.
- Checks volume and uptime status
- Sends information about the failed states of fans, disk, and PSU
- Stays on top of metrics such as temperature, volume, and latency.
- Supports a wide range of service checks.
- A plug-in for the Opsview Monitor to active NetApp monitoring
- Reports on hardware statuses
- Alerts for system problems
- Only watches hardware, not OS or file activity
Pricing: This tool is a part of Opsview Monitor 6 and the cost depends on the number of hosts.
- 50 hosts cost $89.58 per month
- 100 hosts cost $182.50 per month
- 150 hosts cost $280 per month
- 200 hosts cost $388.75 per month
- 300 hosts cost $586.25 per month
Download: Click here to download the trial version of Opsview Monitor.
In short, staying on top of your NetApp is essential to ensure that there is no unauthorized access to your data and it is available to give the information you need.
Any of the above-mentioned tools and Software to Monitor your NetApp can provide extensive information about the performance and health of your NetApp application.