NetApp is a popular storage hardware and software solution provided by a company called NetApp Inc.
This app is popular because it drives efficiency and reduces cost in all tiers of storage equipment and this improves the overall storage efficiency for organizations.
Though this storage app is highly efficient, it is still necessary to monitor it to ensure high levels of security, availability, and performance.
Here is our list of the top NetApp Monitoring tools:
- SolarWinds NetApp Storage Performance Monitoring – FREE TRIAL This monitoring system tracks live statuses and stores statistics for historical analysis of SAN performance. Runs on Windows Server.
- IntelliMagic Vision for SAN – FREE TRIAL This monitoring tool for SAN instances includes AI processes to mark expected performance levels. Available as a virtual appliance or as a cloud service.
- Paessler PRTG A package of monitoring systems for networks, servers, and applications that includes a specialized sensor for SAN monitoring. Runs on Windows Server.
- NetApp Active IQ Unified Manager A real-time analyzer for clustered storage servers that gives recommendations on solutions for discovered problems. Available for Windows Server and Linux.
- Nagios NetApp Monitoring Nagios is an all-round system monitoring tool that can be expanded by plugins to addon capabilities. There are a number of plugins for SAN server monitoring. Installs on Linux.
- LogicMonitor NetApp Monitoring This is a cloud-based monitoring platform that can be extended by integrations and there is an extension for NetApp, which covers SAN.
- Netwrix Auditor for NetApp A free monitoring tool that covers SAN servers. Runs on Windows and Windows Server.
- OPSView Monitor A monitoring system for applications and servers that covers SAN through its NetApp monitoring capabilities. Available for Linux or as a cloud-based service.
Related Post: Best Storage Monitoring and Management Software
The Best NetApp Monitoring Tools & Software:
There are many NetApp monitoring tools and software available today to help you stay on top of the Netapp storage hardware and software. Some of the popular ones are:
Let’s take a detailed look at each of these tools.
The NetApp Storage Performance Efficiency Monitoring and Reporting System from SolarWinds is part of the Storage Resource Monitor. It gives you complete control over the working and performance of the NetApp.
- Monitors the health of your NetApp storage at filers, RAID groups, and volume levels.
- Stays on top of the key metrics such as latency and throughput.
- Uses historical data to get a pattern of past outages.
- Sends instant alerts
- Collects data and predicts when your storage will likely get depleted.
- Helps with proactive capacity planning
- Creates well-structured reports and sends them through email, depending on your settings.
Download: Click here to download a fully functional 30-day trial.
IntelliMagic Vision for SAN is a particularly useful SAN monitoring system for sites that operate a multi-vendor storage environment. The ability of this system to unify the monitoring of different vendor SAN solutions saves time switching between system monitoring consoles.
- Presents live performance metrics for SAN implementations as a cluster and as individual servers.
- Performance statistics per protocol.
- Space requirements forecasting.
- Analysis of SAN fabric paths.
- Can unify the monitoring of SAN implementations on several sites.
- Available as a virtual appliance over VMWare or as a cloud service.
Price: Contact the Sales Department to get a quote.
Download: Click here to access a free trial of IntelliMagic Vision for SAN.
Paessler is a renowned name in the world of network monitoring. Its flagship product called PRTG Monitor uses a sensor-based system to monitor different attributes and components in a network. For NetApp monitoring, it uses a sensor called SNMP NetApp System Health Sensor.
As the name suggests, this sensor monitors the health of NetApp using SNMP. It shows the following values.
- CPU load in percent
- Number of active restores
- Number of current CIFS users
- Number of active disks
- Number of disks being added
- Number of disks being scrubbed
- Number of failed disks
- Number of soon failing disks
- Number of disks being out of date
- Number of reconstructing (parity) disks
- Number of spare disks
- Total number of disks
- Number of verifying (parity) disks
- Number of failed fans
- Number of failed power supplies
- Maximum used disk space in percent
- Maximum used INodes in percent
- If the environment is over temperature
The cost depends on the number of sensors you plan to sue besides this one. The first 100 sensors are free.
Click here to download the free version.
4. NetApp Active IQ Unified Manager
Active IQ Unified Manager provides detailed analysis in real-time to help gauge the performance and health of monitored clusters.
- Improved scalability, performance, and security.
- Continuously monitors your storage’s health and performance and presents it through a single dashboard.
- Recommends actions and solutions for the identified problems.
- Simplifies data management by proactively managing your storage.
- Helps your storage to keep pace with fluctuating business demands
- Creates custom reports to meet specific needs.
Contact the sales team for custom pricing.
Click here to download the latest version.
5. Nagios NetApp Monitoring
Nagios’ NetApp monitoring tool is a comprehensive one developed to monitor all aspects of NetApp including the free space, file system use, quotas, and the overall health.
- Monitors many key metrics such as CPU load, the global status of the filer, number of failed disks, cache age, and number of ndmp sessions.
- Quickly detects network outages and storage subsystem problems.
- Gives the option to control NetApp monitoring using Nagios scripts and plugins.
Nagios XI provides this NetApp monitoring functionality and it costs $1,995 for the standard edition and $3,495 for the enterprise edition.
You can download a free trial here.
6. LogicMonitor NetApp Monitoring
LogicMonitor’s NetApp monitoring tool automatically monitors the performance and health of NetApp storage.
- Requires no extra configuration, thereby making it ideal for users with all levels of technical knowledge.
- Offers trending graphs and alerts to give you a clear idea of your NetApp’s performance.
- Provides the right information that will help you to solve strategic problems at the earliest.
- Monitors many metrics such as CPU usage, latency, status, volume, and HBA monitoring.
- Comes bundled with the LogicMonitor platform.
The cost of LogicMonitor platform depends on the volume and number of devices. You can book a demo here to get more details about pricing.
Click here to download a free 14-day trial.
7. Netwrix Auditor for NetApp
Netwrix Auditor is a free NetApp monitoring tool that keeps you up-to-date on changes and allows you to access events on your NetApp filers.
- Sends information about user activity on NetApp filers.
- Collects event logs, analyzes information and gives the results in a human-readable format.
- Provides information about all data access attempts, and any changes to permissions, files, and folders. Indicates the success or failure of each data attempt.
- Accumulates data from various sources and sends email summaries for easy readability.
- Reports are meaningful and informative and minimize the need to run manual scripts.
Click here to download Netwrix Auditor.
8. OPSView Monitor
OPSView Monitor is a tool that allows you to monitor different parameters.
- Monitors the disk for read and write usage.
- Checks volume and uptime status
- Sends information about the failed states of fans, disk, and PSU
- Stays on top of metrics such as temperature, volume, and latency.
- Supports a wide range of service checks.
This tool is a part of Opsview Monitor 6 and the cost depends on the number of hosts.
- 50 hosts cost $89.58 per month
- 100 hosts cost $182.50 per month
- 150 hosts cost $280 per month
- 200 hosts cost $388.75 per month
- 300 hosts cost $586.25 per month
Click here to download the trial version of Opsview Monitor.
In short, staying on top of your NetApp is essential to ensure that there is no unauthorized access to your data and it is available to give the information you need.
Any of the above-mentioned tools and Software to Monitor your NetApp can provide extensive information about the performance and health of your NetApp application.