Storage Management Software is a system that administers and protects a data storage device together with the data it contains. Storage management systems increase capacity and performance by offering data compression capabilities and data migration tools that put infrequently used data in low cost storage locations.
It also provides archival, historical data about performance and availability to determine and learn from past and current issues. These systems performs virtualization, data security, and backup practices such as mirroring and replication.
A storage management software benefits the entire network from desktop users to those who maintain the servers by providing efficiency and optimal performance.
Here are the Top Storage Monitoring & Management Tools of 2019:
- Solarwinds Storage Monitor
- ManageEngine OpManager
- PowerAdmin Storage Monitor
- EG Enterprise
Below your find a Quick re-cap of each software and tool listed above with some of their Features, Pricing and other pertinent information.
1. Solarwinds’ Multi-Vendor Storage Performance & Capacity Monitor
Solarwinds’ software has a slick and comprehensive interface that provides real-time storage monitoring for a wide range of vendors. It handles a full range of both virtual and physical storage devices. It also features a handful of pre-configured alerts and monitoring options, which are customizable.
With its storage utilization performance, users gain vital insights into storage utilization to avoid failures and forecast capacity issues. It also has extended visibility into virtualization and application layers with the application stack environment.
This tool makes it easy for users to switch between different vendors and monitor multiple arrays with a single dashboard. It also sends alerts for users to notice and early detect performance issues. It comes with a 30-day free trial and you would have to contact support for the cost of each software component.
Some of its key features are:
- 1200+ application performance monitoring templates
- Centralized asset management
- Easy and fast install
- Built on the Solarwinds Orion Platform
- Automated discovery of applications and infrastructure
- Storage performance and health
30 Day Free Trial Download!
2. ManageEngine OpManager
ManageEngine’s OpManager offers a robust and comprehensive network monitoring solution that tracks network performance, detect network faults in real time, troubleshoot errors, and prevent downtime. It’s a powerful tool that supports multi-vendor IT environments and scale it to fit user requirements.
It allows users to gain complete visibility and control over the entire network infrastructure via live dashboards and graphs that measure critical metrics like packet loss, errors and discards, etc. This tool detects, identifies and troubleshoots network issues with threshold-based alerts.
Users can set multiple thresholds for every performance metric and receive notifications. It offers a fast fix with its reactive network monitoring techniques like alarm generation, reading or forwarding syslog and trap messages, and many more.
This tool can be setup in under two minutes and has more than 100 built-in reports that can be customized, scheduled and exported.
Some of its key features are:
- IT Workflow automation
- Network Configuration Management
- Server and Virtualization Monitoring
- Automated Layer 2 Topology maps
- Network traffic analysis
It has a 30-day free trial on all three editions: Essential which goes for $715 for 25 devices, the OpManager Plus which is priced at $5,045 for 50 devices and the Enterprise which costs $19,795 for 500 devices.
3. PRTG Storage & SAN Monitoring
PRTG has come a long road to become an All-around contender for being one of the Top Storage monitoring Solutions in the IT Software realm. They have the ability to monitor SAN (Storage Area Networks) along with NAS devices, Physical Disks, Logical Disks and Clustered Disks.
Data Reliability and Availability is more crucial than ever in the World of computing and networking thus keeping a hawk eye on it really does help alleviate the stresses of not knowing whats going on in your systems.
Some Main features of PRTG Storage Monitoring and Mangement portion of their Software include:
- Monitor All Types of Disks including NAS, SAN, Physical, Logical, Clustered Disks, Volumes Input/Output and Virtural Disk Storage Solutions (VMWare, Hyper-V & XenServer)
- Additional Access Management control of Files, Folders and Shares
- Linux/Unix Disk Monitoring Functionality As well!
- WMI, SNMP and SOAP for Monitoring Hard-drives and more!
- Vendor Support includes: Dell Storage Devices, NetAPP, EMC, QNAP, Synology, HP, IBM, LenovoEMC, Buffalo and Many MORE!
Nagios provides a complete monitoring of storage systems – including directory size, disk usage, file count, file presence, file size, and more. It detects failed batch jobs and storage subsystem problems.
It has advanced planning for system upgrades. It reduces the risk of unexpected downtime by early detecting potential future failures. It’s highly modular and offers great flexibility and functionality.
It’s key features and capabilities include:
- Advanced planning for system upgrades
- Detection of failed batch jobs
- Fast detection of storage subsystem problems
- Reduced risk of unexpected downtime
Nagios offers a free trial, starting at $1,995 and up.
SevOne delivers end-to-end reporting and monitoring capability that oversees all of the components that contribute to delivering services and applications over a network. It extends network component visibility which reduces blind spots when troubleshooting.
It monitors the complete I/O path – including server CPUs, memory, host bus adapters, switch ports, and storage arrays. SevOne helps predict storage bottlenecks and improve storage performance.
It includes full SNMP support and it has data collection scripts that allow users to support non-SNMP metrics that may indicate a potential issue. SevOne automatically establishes baselines of a normal performing storage environment so that it can send an alert and assist users to address issues whenever performance deviates from expected behavior.
It also maintains a year of as-polled performance history, so users can always have granular evidence of all events.
Its main features are:
- Proactive notification of alerts
- Instant reports and scalable reporting
- Complete NetFlow version compatibility
- Real-time L2/L3 network connectivity status displays
- Selective Discovery that automatically monitors selected discovered objects
6. AppDynamics Storage Performance Monitor
AppDynamics has a very solid full-feature option that covers the full range of network-based monitoring and management. From application, transactions, services, nodes, servers, database calls, remote services and many more.
It offers real-time visibility into inbound and outbound throughput, protocol operations and performance metrics for all storage servers throughout the network which makes it easy to get to the root cause quickly and resolve performance problems effectively. It analyzed and alerts by tracking storage performance trends over time.
Some of its key features include:
- AppDynamics APM automatically discovers, maps and visualizes critical services and components
- Integrates directly with ServiceNow, PagerDuty and Jira that allows for immediately alerting
- Deep diagnostic capabilities that identify the root cause of issues
- Real time correlation of data
It offers a 15-day free trial. Users must contact support for pricing.
7. PowerAdmin Storage Monitor
PowerAdmin is more light-weight and straightforward that focuses almost exclusively on storage management. It features Disk Space Monitor where users can add drivers that they want to monitor and then set the alert threshold.
Users can also monitor specific folders that are volume mounted from another server/device. It has a File System Analyzer that inspects a volume (local drive, network drive, etc) and records information about each directory, file and owner.
The PowerAdmin tool can act as an intrusion detection system by keeping watch of all server changes. It allows users to schedule reports to be automatically generated at the end of a data collection session and send HTTP based reports for viewing within the storage manager software console or from a web browser.
Some of its features are:
- Rich scheduled reports
- Alert types and other configurable actions
- User and directory quota monitoring
- Specific file size monitoring
- File and directory change monitoring
- File system analyzer with reporting
- Disk space monitoring
It offers a 30-day free trial and costs $250 and up with a year of support and maintenance included.
8. EG Enterprise
EG Enterprise storage monitor is a unified monitoring, diagnosis and reporting solution for storage infrastructures. Administrators can monitor all storage devices and can correlate storage performance with other tiers, all from a central web console.
This makes it easy to detect and fix situations when storage is the cause of a performance bottleneck. It offers a broad coverage and deep visibility into storage sub-system components: fiber channel switches, host ports, controllers, LUNs, physical disks, caches, enclosures and hosts.
It provides historical trends, baselines and reports to help calibrate the current infrastructure and plan for future growth. It’s EG SAN Monitoring can reveal abnormality within any temperature sensors and UPS failures. It isolates storage performance bottlenecks by performing health checks on all device ports, disk groups, etc. EG offers a free trial.
Some of its key features are:
- End-to-End performance visibility
- Monitors User experience
- Traces web transactions as processed by applications and displays them in flow graphs
- Delivers in-depth insights on intuitive dashboards
- Supports cloud applications and infrastructure
- Auto-discovery of network objects and presents them into intuitive maps
- Automatic Root cause diagnosis
Users must contact support for pricing.