Finding the Best System Monitoring Tools & Software will help you manage all Windows, Linux, mac and other devices from a centralized dashboard and give complete control over your Server Infrastructure and Network.
These tools monitor every aspect such as networks, servers, computers, devices and more, and in the process, help you stay on top of security and performance.
Windows environments come with a built-in monitoring tool called “Task Manager” that gives a bird’s eye view of the running processes, CPU usage and memory. But, it doesn’t have advanced features such as alerting and reporting.
This is why it’s a good idea to use advanced monitoring tools in addition to Task Manager, to keep your infrastructure in good health and your up-time high!
Here’s a List of the Top System Monitoring Tools of 2020:
There are many monitoring tools available for the Windows environment and here’s a look into some of the top tools.
- SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor
- ManageEngine OpManager
- Paessler PRTG
- Operations Bridge
- Pandora FMS
- Spiceworks Network Monitor
Below your find a quick description of each software we recommend along with Download links as well.
1. SolarWinds Server and Application Manager
SolarWinds Server and Application Manager is a systems manager that offers excellent visibility into the performance of applications and servers. Its One of our Top Picks for monitoring Systems within your Network along with applications that run on them as well.
We Highly Recommend Solarwinds Server & Application Manager due to its extensive feature sets as well as their constant updates to the software that make it an All around great tool for utilizing in your network.
Below your find a list of capabilities and features that it has integrated that make it one of the most Popular Tools available today for the Windows environment, as well as monitoring other systems including Virtual Machines, UNIX/LINUX Server software and more!
- Multi-vendor systems can be monitored from a single console
- Scalable, and supports anything ranging from a handful of devices to multi-site deployments.
- Sends proactive alerts to inform users before an issue spirals into a problem that could impact businesses negatively.
- Helps to identify the root cause of the problems, so they can be fixed quickly.
- Comes with pre-packed monitoring templates and reports, so you can get started right away.
- New templates can be built or existing templates can be modified to meet specific preferences.
- Easy to install and the entire process can be completed in less than half an hour.
- Helps with capacity planning.
- Supports more than 200 applications spread across different environments including Windows.
- Helps to monitor hardware components like fan speed, temperature, power supply and more.
- Tracks assets throughout their life-cycle.
- Monitors both physical and virtual applications and servers.
On top of these features, SolarWinds Server and Application Manager offers three out-of-the-box templates designed specifically for Microsoft Exchange, IIS and SQL Server. These templates help to solve complex problems using advanced monitoring techniques as well as Reporting issues that arise quickly.
- Exchange Server – Helps to view mailboxes, storage levels and statuses, monitors user activity and identifies replication problems.
- Microsoft IIS – Monitors the availability of websites and applications, reports SSL expirations and allows users to remotely start or stop application pools.
- SQL Server – Monitors database connections, error logs, index fragmentation and more.
Download your 30 Day Free Trial TODAY to get started Monitoring (Link below)
Download a fully functional 30-day free trial at:
2. ManageEngine OpManager
Opmanager is a Great tool for Monitoring your Network infrastruture and Systems using their Intuitive interface and ease to use GUI. There price for the software is competitive and compares to their top competitors in terms of feature and capabitlities.
Some of Opmanager’s main Capabilities & Features include (but are not limited to):
- Real-Time Physical and Virtual Server Monitoring
- Critical Component monitoring (CPU, Disk Space, Availability, Memory Usages/Utilization, etc)
- Intelligent and Detailed Reports with over 100 Built-In Reports
- Threshold Monitoring for Sensors & Threshold-based Alerting
- Application Response-Time monitoring
- Database Query Monitoring
- and Much More!
OpManager is a well Rounded tool for getting a clear view of your Server infrastructure and how its running in almost Real-time. They also have an array of other supported features including Monitoring Bandwidth, Flow Protocol Analysis, (NetFlow, sFlow, jFlow, IPFIX, etc), Firewall Log management and many more features.
Free Limited Download – Contact for Accurate Quote
3. Paessler PRTG
Paessler is another extremely well know software company that is based out of Germany with deep roots in Network Monitoring and Management. They offer a very robust solution for managing your network devices, servers and applications with their flagship product, PRTG Network Monitor.
PRTG can either be downloaded and installed locally on a server or they now have a Hosted solution for those who want to have monitoring off-premises.
Some features of PRTG included (but are not limited) to the following:
- VM Monitoring & Management with preconfigured templates
- SQL & Exchange Mail Server Management & Monitoring solutions
- IIS Application Server monitoring
- More Critical components via WMI & SNMP including CPU, Memory, Traffic stats and more!
- Citrix System Monitoring
- Syslog and Event Log Analysis
- Linux, Unix & Mac OSX System Support
PRTG is well rounded and very flexible out of the box. It includes many pre-built templates to quickly jump into whatever system management task you throw at it.
First 100 Sensors free!
500 Sensors – $ 1,600, 1000 Sensors – $ 2,850, 2500 Sensors – $ 5,950, 5000 Sensors – $ 10,500, XL1 unlimited – $ 14,500, XL5 unlimited – $ 60,000
Full Detailed Price list can be Seen Here – http://www.paessler.com/prtg/pricing
4. Operations Bridge
Operations Bridge from Micro Focus is a containerized monitoring solution that works well on Windows. Based on more than fifty patents for high-volume data analysis and speed, this tool monitors the entire infrastructure efficiently.
Here is a list of its features.
- Containerization helps to automate many routine IT tasks.
- Deployment can be done in public or private cloud.
- Business Value dashboards give the real-time status of different metrics.
- Automated discovery model tracks changes in a visually-appealing way.
- Supports the monitoring of cloud services and SaaS applications to understand any issues or under-performance.
- Machine learning helps with predictive analytics
- Offers integration to a ton of popular IT service management tools.
- Automatic log, metric and event analysis
- Integrates all AI Ops capabilities
- Allows the use of HTML 5 policy editors to handle the generic output from Windows event log.
There are two editions – Express and Ultimate. The price of Express edition for 50 nodes is $18,425 and the Ultimate edition for 50 nodes costs $91,830.
A free trial can be downloaded from https://software.microfocus.com/products/operations-manager-i-single-pane-of-glass/free-trial
Zabbix in an enterprise-class open source network monitoring solution to track and monitor network services, software, devices and hardware. Created by Alexei Vladishev from Latvia, this tool can monitor millions of metrics collected form thousands of devices.
Some of the salient features of this tool are:
- Supports different metric collection methods and protocols such as SNMP, IPMI and IPv6.
- Offers flexible data gathering
- Pre-processes collected data
- Automatically discovers network devices
- Notifies any device configuration changes, as soon as they occur.
- Comes with out-of-the-box templates to monitor all metrics.
- Has configuration templates to update thousands of network devices simultaneously.
- Creates complex logical expressions to make it easy to identify problems.
- Defines trigger security levels to help users focus on the most important problems.
- Supports many alert notifications such as SMS, email, custom scripts, jabber and more.
- Allows users to run remote scripts on monitored devices.
- Integrates well with third party software
- Encrypts all traffic between Zabbix and the monitoring device
- Uses LDAP authentication and pre-determined user permissions.
- Comes with no limitations or hidden restrictions. Everything is completely free.
It is free to use.
Zabbix can be downloaded at https://www.zabbix.com/download
6. Pandora FMS
Pandora FMS is an open source monitoring software for IT infrastructure. It is ideal for Windows and Unix servers, networking equipment and all other kinds of applications.
Here’s a look at its features.
- Comes with events, graphs, customizable reports and dashboards to help you stay on top of any device’s performance and availability all the time.
- Supports different protocols and standards such as SNMP, WMI, Netflow, SNMP traps, remote plug-ins execution and more.
- Automatically discovers new devices and creates the network map accordingly.
- Supports a wide range of applications such as SAP, Oracle, Tomcat, IIS, DB2 and more.
- Comes with pre-built templates to start the monitoring process right away.
- Allows agent and agentless monitoring.
- Sends notifications through SMS, syslog, Slack, custom scripts and more.
- Scales well in large, complex and dynamic environments.
- Helps to create interactive graphs, where users can zoom out and point certain elements to accurately know the value of each element at any point in time.
It is free to use
Pandora FMS can be downloaded from https://pandorafms.org/en/features/free-download-monitoring-software/
7. Spiceworks Network Monitor
Spiceworks Network Monitor is a simple and easy-to-use software for monitoring any Windows environment.
It’s salient features include
- Provides real-time updates on servers, switches and other IP devices.
- Ideal for companies that need to monitor less than 25 devices.
- Simple to install and easy to setup. In fact, you can add devices at the click of a mouse and see its associated data right away.
- Easy to spot slow systems and devices.
- Helps to fix problems before they become major issues that could have a detrimental effect on the organization.
- Sends notifications when any metric crosses the threshold limit. These alerts can be customized to suit individual preferences.
- Comes with a good support team.
It is free to use.
Spiceworks Network Monitor can be downloaded from https://www.spiceworks.com/download/monitor/
To conclude, having a System Monitoring Software or Tools are essential for your Windows environment because the functionality of built-in tools like the “Task manager” is highly limited and monitoring critical components, applications, service and other production software is crucial to you and your companies success.
We recommend downloading a free trial of any of the tools above to get started with your System Monitoring tasks and ensure that your next melt down can be completely foreseen and avoided!