As the Internet expands to include more users, it becomes essential to tap into different types of media to garner the attention of people from varying walks of life. While some people are avid readers who wouldn’t mind reading a 5000-word article, others may be visual learners who’d prefer to watch a video, listen to a podcast, or look through images and infographics to learn.
These varying requirements have made it necessary to transfer or share large files. Remember, your video and animation files can take up a ton of space when compared to a text or audio file. In turn, you need the right tools to send, transfer, or share large files.
6 Best Ways to Transfer, Send or Share Large Files
Here are 6 different ways to transfer, send, or share large files. Pick the one that works best for you.
- Upload to the Cloud
- UDP solutions
- Ship a Hard Drive or a USB Flash Drive
- Compress Files
Let’s take a detailed look at each of these tools to determine the best fit for your requirements.
1. Upload to the Cloud
Probably, the most common and well-known way of transferring and sharing large files is to upload them to the cloud storage, so the receiver can download them from there.
You have a ton of options like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Files.com, and more that make this task easy and at the same time, give you a lot of storage space. As a result, storing and transferring files are highly cost-effective and simple.
Further, these services come with advanced security and reliability, so you can rest assured that your data will be safe.
Files.com – FREE TRIAL
Files.com is a secure and fast file sharing service that enhances collaboration and connectivity for your employees. This option is used by many media companies because of its reliability and safety.
Here are some more reasons to choose this product.
- When you upload to the cloud, all that you have to do is send the hyperlink to recipients for them to access it
- Comes with built-in Microsoft Office tools
- The desktop and mobile apps give access to files on the go
- Works with most popular apps, protocols, and programming languages
- Supports fast uploads and downloads
- Makes it convenient to load files that are up to 5TB in size.
Pricing: Files.com offers three plans and they are:
- Starter ($10/user/month) – minimum five users and 1TB monthly usage
- Power ($15/user/month) – minimum 20 users and 5TB monthly usage
- Premier ($20/user/month) – minimum 50 users and 10TB monthly usage
Download: Access a 7-day free trial.
2. UDP Solutions
User Datagram Protocol, or UDP in short, is a great choice for low-latency transfers because there is no need for the receiver to acknowledge the receipt of your data packets every time.
Now, you might wonder what’s the difference between a TCP and a UDP protocol. Well, from a file transfer standpoint, TCP protocols share bandwidth and they require the receiver to acknowledge the receipt of a data packet. Both these aspects make the TCP option a lot slower, but unfortunately, many solutions are built over it.
On the other hand, UDP solutions are fast because they are not throttled by bandwidth restrictions. When you have software such as Aspera on the receiver’s end, it ensures that there is no data loss and at the same time, your transfer speeds can be as fast as your Internet.
IBM Aspera is a UDP solution that can deliver data at high speeds, transport extremely large files, monitor and orchestrate data transfers, add an additional layer of security, and more.
Some of the important features of Aspera are:
- Simple and efficient
- Reliable transfer of data
- Much faster than options like FTP and HTTP
- Comes with a pause/resume option
- Supports any-bit rate streaming
- Can be used for building highly scalable workflows
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a quote.
Download: Click here for a 30-day free trial.
3. Ship the Hard Drive or USB Flash Drive
Regardless of all the technologies that come our way, there are still many people who don’t trust the Internet and the services that are built on it.
For such people, the easiest option is to put everything that you want in a hard drive or USB flash drive and ship it to the recipient. Depending on the location of the recipient, distance, and the speed by which it has to reach the other person, you can choose different delivery options.
So, is this the best way to ship? Here are some pros and cons that can answer this question.
The advantages of couriering are:
- The biggest advantage is you can ship large amounts of data in one-go
- You can track the exact location of your package at any time
- Highly reliable
- Ships to any part of the world, even to places where there is no Internet connectivity
The flip side to shipping a hard drive are:
- Becomes hard if you have to ship data in batches
- There is a high chance for your sensitive data to fall in the wrong hands
- Custom delays are an integral part of international shipping
- These hard drives can get damaged during transit and recovering data will become a hassle
- Shipping the same data to multiple people becomes tedious.
Thus, these are the pros and cons of physically shipping a hard drive. Depending on your requirements, you can decide if this is the right fit for you.
4. Compress Files
A good way to send large files is by using compression software that reduces the file size anywhere from 50 to 80%, so they can be sent by email.
That said, it’s important to understand that some file types such as .JPG and .MP3 are already compressed, and can’t be compressed any further. Also, there are many compression tools like Express Zip that make this process simple and reliable.
Express Zip is a convenient file compression tool that compresses files and folders quickly and efficiently.
Some important features of this tool are:
- Opens all popular archive formats
- Simple and straightforward to use
- Quick and efficient
- Comes with a drag and drop functionality
- You can use a password to protect ZIP files
- Convert archives from other formats to ZIP
- You can split the files into multiple parts
Pricing: There is a free version that contains most of the features of the professional version. But if you opt for the professional version, a single commercial license costs $19.99 while a non-business license costs $16.97
Download: Click here to download the free version.
File Transfer Protocol, or FTP in short, is a service that enables file transfer, with no limit or restriction on the file size or the number of files that need to be transferred. It is built on the TCP/IP protocol and has all the features necessary for a smooth file transfer.
All that is needed is an FTP client, and you can schedule transfers, send multiple files in one go, and more. However, it is not secure, and to overcome this drawback, the Secure FTP was developed.
Secure FTP or SFTP uses Secure Shell for transferring files to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the files as they are encrypted while in transit.
A reliable SFTP server is the SolarWinds SFTP server.
SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server
The SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server is a free service that makes it secure and convenient to transfer large files.
Some of the salient features of this tool are:
- You can transfer concurrently from multiple devices
- Authorizes one or a range of specific IP devices for transfer
- Runs as a Windows service
- Easy to configure and use
- Integrates well with other applications
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download this tool.
Related Post: Best SFTP Servers & Tools
File Transfer Protocol Secure (FTPS) is another secure way to transfer files safely and effectively. This is also a secure variant of FTP and it uses Secure Sockets Layers (SSL) to encrypt connections.
This service uses passwords, client certificates, and server certificates to authenticate connections. Also, the files are encrypted in transit, so unauthorized users can’t access them. Another advantage is that it is compliant with many regulatory frameworks such as PCI DSS, HIPAA, and more.
A good choice for an FTPS tool is the SolarWinds FTP Voyager.
SolarWinds FTP Voyager
The SolarWinds FTP Voyager is a secure and easy way to transfer files of all sizes.
The key features of the SolarWinds FTP Voyager are:
- Allows the upload and download of files using FTPS
- Connects to many servers at the same time
- Comes with an easy drag-and-drop interface to transfer files from your Windows Desktop
- You can schedule transfers at any time
- It automatically synchronizes folders
- Supports concurrent file transfers
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download this tool.
To conclude, there are many ways to transfer large files. It depends on how simple or complex you want it to be, security aspects, speed of transmission, mode of delivery, and more. The six options that we have presented in this article are varied and cater to every possible need, so let us know which of these you used for transferring large files, and your experience.