SFTP Servers is a popular Secure File transfer protocol that is one of the most popular protocols for file transfers.
Over the last few years, secure versions of FTP called SFTP and FTPS have come up and replaced FTP due to its added layer of security.
FTPS is File Transfer Protocol Secure that negotiates through an encrypted TLS tunnel to transfer data. On the other hand, SFTP is not really a FTP server, rather it is an SSH server that also understands FTP commands.
As a result, SFTP prevents the unencrypted transfer of login credentials and at the same time, it also generates a unique identifier that has to be transmitted back from the client to complete the transfer. Due to these measures, you can rest assured that your file transfers will be safe with SFTP.
Here is our list of the best SFTP Servers:
- Files.com – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based storage service that hosts your files so you send out a link instead of transferring a file directly. Recipients can view the file online or download it on demand according to the settings you specify. Start a 7-day free trial.
- ExaVault – FREE TRIAL This cloud-based system offers SFTP and FTPS for secure file transfers and also includes managed file transfers and cloud storage space. Start a 30-day free trial.
- SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server – FREE TOOL A competent file transfer server that is capable of handling files of up to 4 GB. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- FreeFTP An open source utility that offers FTP, SFTP, and FTPS methods. Installs on Windows.
- Bitvise SSH Server A self-configuring file transfer management system that offers SFTP and is HIPAA compliant. Installs on Windows.
- Rebex SFTP Server A lightweight file transfer manager that includes SFTP functionality. Installs on Windows.
- Cerberus FTP Server A comprehensive SFTP file transfer manager that is able to integrate with in-house authentication systems. Is available in four editions and installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- CompleteFTP A file transfer system that integrates with authentication provided by AD and includes SFTP, FTP, FTPS, HTTP, and HTTPS protocols for transfers. Installs on Windows.
Here’s the Best SFTP Servers for Secure File Transfers
Now that you have an idea of SFTP, let’s look at some of the best SFTP servers for the most secure file transfers.
1. Files.com Cloud Server – FREE TRIAL
Files.com has built a great cloud tool that gives you the ability to have a Branded/Company page for sending and receiving files over a Secure connection.
They have provided a single interface for file transfers that give you the flexibility and security of enterprise grade solution at an affordable rate.
Features of this Tool include:
- Sync with Other Cloud Providers (including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, BOX, Dropbox, Wasabi, Rackspace, Backblaze and many others.
- Provide File Upload/Download Links for Customers
- Send files via Email securely fully Encrypted.
- Microsoft Office Integration with Previews of Files & Real-time Collaboration
- Powerful Automation Features when Files Change/Rename/Deleted/Upload/Download with integrations into Zapier, Amazon SNS, webhooks and Microsoft Power Automate!
- Audit Logs of File Modifications
- Custom Data Retention Rules for Users, Groups or Folders
- Granular Permissions for Users, Folders or Groups that allow you to set Read, Write, Delete & Admin Permissions.
- API and SDK available
- 1 or 2 Way Syncs of Data to other Cloud or Backup Platforms to Data Redundancy
Security features of Files.com include 2FA (2-factor authentication) with secures such as Google Authenticator, Duo, Authy, Yubikey, FIDO/U2F and SMS.
Additional security features include Policies for Passwords, Sessions, Brute Force Rules & 2FA requirements. On top of those security features, you can Provision users via Enterprise Identity (SSO) integrations to futher authenticate and authorize users via LDP, Active Directory, Azure, ADFS, OneLogin, Auth0 and Okta along with many other identity providers.
Start a 7-day Free Trial Today: https://files.com
2. ExaVault – FREE TRIAL
ExaVault is a cloud-based system that creates a file server utility for distributed teams. This service removes the need for you to maintain your own file server on site and uploads to that system are protected through SFTP and FTPS.
Here are some of the important features offered by ExaVault:
- Managed file transfers possible through workload automation.
- Individual user accounts for activity tracking.
- Transfer security and protection for data at rest.
- Forward files to external recipients by sending a link and allowing access to the stored original.
- User-controlled access permissions.
- Time-limited and revocable file access rights
- Activity tracking for standards auditing
- GDPR compliant
Price: There are four plans for ExaVault:
- Essential – 1 TB of space for 10 users: $120 per month
- Standard – 3 TB of space for 25 users: $250 per month
- Advanced – 5 TB of space for 50 users: $400 per month
- Enterprise – 10 TB and no limit on the number of users: priced by negotiation
These prices are based on an annual payment, which gains a 20 percent discount on the rate if paid monthly.
The space allocated to the Advanced and Enterprise plans can be expended at a price of $30 per TB.
Official Download: ExaVault is a SaaS package so there is no download. You can get a 30-day free trial.
3. SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server – FREE TOOL
SolarWinds, one of leaders in network management software, offers a free SFTP/SCH server that guarantees reliable and secure network file transfers.
Let’s look at some of its important features and capabilities:
- Allows multiple devices to transfer files simultaneously.
- Users have the option to authorize a specific or a range of IPs.
- Runs as a Windows service.
- Uses the highest security and reliability standards.
- Can transfer files up to 4GB
Due to these features, SolarWinds is ideal to securely push OS images, configuration updates and other firmware-related files.
Price: 100% FREE!
Official Download: SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server can be downloaded from: https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/free-sftp-server/registration
FreeFTP is an open-source SFTP and FTPS server that supports the creation of arbitrary users.
It comes with the following features.
- It can be installed as a system service, when needed.
- Comes with a quick setup process for Windows
- When installed as a system service, it is available all the time.
- Has a graphical application support.
- Allows remote port forwarding.
Price: Free to use.
Official Download: FreeFTP can be downloaded from http://www.freesshd.com/
5. Bitvise SSH Server
Bitvise SSH server is a powerful application for transferring files securely.
Here’s a look at some of its features.
- Supports secure remote access through the console as well as through a GUI.
- Keeps a record of daily, monthly and annual usage statistics.
- Provides one of the fastest available speeds for file transfers, though the actual speed depends on the client’s resources.
- It is HIPAA compliant.
- Supports GSSAPI-enabled Kerberos 5 exchange and NTLM Kerberos 5 user authentication.
- Helps users to create virtual accounts backed by the identity of one or more Windows accounts.
- Users have the choice to configure bandwidth limits for uploads and downloads.
- Terminal subsystem uses sophisticated techniques to render the best output.
- Bvterm protocol provides the full spectrum of a Window’s console features.
- Easy to install and configure
- Ideal for Windows environment, as it starts working immediately on installation. No configuration is needed for the Windows environment.
- Option to restrict access to specified accounts.
- No limitation on the number of users who can connect.
- The number of simultaneous connections depends only on the system’s resources.
- There is no need to define the account settings for each Windows account separately.
- Offers secure TCP/IP connection tunneling.
- Provides secure file transfers through both SFTP and SCP servers
- BVshell helps to restrict file system access to specific directories.
- Can be configured to forward messages to a legacy telnet server.
- All settings can be configured with a script or through a text file.
- Supports multi/slave configuration setup, where the slaves can be configured to synchronize their settings, host keys and password cache with a master.
- Administration can be delegated to multiple users, as each user can be given limited access to certain resources.
Price: The cost of each license is $99.99 per year. Additionally, the access period can be upgraded to two years for an additional amount of $19.95 per installation and for three years with an additional payment of $39.90 per installation.
Official Download: A free trial is available for 30 days. You can download a fully functional Bitvise SSH server from https://www.bitvise.com/download-area
6. Rebex SFTP Server
Rebex SFTP server is a minimalist server, yet it’s highly configurable and customizable. It is designed mainly for a Windows environment.
Some of its main features are:
- It’s a multi-user SFTP/SCP server
- Supports SSH remote shell
- Uses highly secure algorithms such as elliptic curve cryptography or ECC to ensure that files are transferred safely and securely.
- Simple to install. Simply download, unzip and run the .exe file. No extra installation is required.
- Setting can be configured and changed at any time to match preferences.
- Compatible with all the best SFTP clients such as WinSCP, FIleZilla client, Bitvise SSH client, FlashFXP, SmartFTP, FTP Voyager, Axway Secure Client and more.
- There is an optional support for legacy algorithms
- It can run as a Windows service.
- Management can be done through the command line interface.
- Offers support for SSH forwarding
- Works well on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later, Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Windows 7 with .NET Framework 4.5
Price: To get a quote, enter your email address in https://labs.rebex.net/SftpServer. The details of the license will be sent to your account.
Official Download: A 30-day free trial can be downloaded from https://labs.rebex.net/sftpServer/
7. Cerberus FTP Server
Cerberus FTP Server is a secure Windows file server that comes with FTP, SFTP, FTPS and HTTPS capabilities. Though this tool has been existing since 2001, the first stable release was on April 23, 2018.
Its features include,
- Supports Active Directory, LDAP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTPS, Secure SSL encryption, two-factor authentication and IP banning.
- Compliant with many industry standards such as HIPAA and FIPS 140-2
- Advanced reporting tool provides a glimpse of the statistics and performance at any given time.
- Comprehensive auditing helps users to monitor availability and performance.
- Comes with a web file transfer client.
- Provides email notifications
- Gives multiple options for event support and automation
- Customizable file retention policies
Price: Cerberus FTP Server comes in four editions – Personal, Standard, Professional and Enterprise. Personal edition costs $89, standard edition is $299, professional is $599 and enterprise edition is $1,499 respectively.
|Maximum number of connections is 20||Maximum number of connections is 50||No limit on the number of connections||No limit on the number of connections|
|Supports users and groups||Web administration||SSH2 SFTP||HTTPS/Web client|
|Detailed logs||Public key authentication||Event support|
|Full IPv6 support||FIPS 140-2||Email notification|
|FTP||Active Directory integration||File retention policies|
|FTP with TLS/SSL||LDAP integration||Web account request|
|Soap-control API||CRL and CA support||Ad hoc file sharing|
|Auto banning||Client Certificate verification||Advanced stats and reporting|
You can buy the personal edition at https://www.cerberusftp.com/, standard edition at https://www.cerberusftp.com/store/standard, professional edition at https://www.cerberusftp.com/store/professional and the enterprise edition at https://www.cerberusftp.com/store/enterprise respectively.
Official Download: You can download a free trial version from https://www.cerberusftp.com/#
CompleteFTP is a Windows SFTP server that aims to be highly customizable and integratable. It offers the features that you’d expect from an SFTP server, such as non-Windows and Windows (local or AD) users, a virtual file-system, a user-friendly admin interface and a responsive web file-manager (from version 12), but also adds some novel capabilities such as:
- Scriptable process triggers and e-mail notifications
- Protocol-translating proxy/gateway
- Remote FTP/SFTP servers mountable as virtual directories
- Free *box-style file-sharing client application (CompleteBox)
- Clustering with real-time config synchronization
Pricing ranges from $0 to $999. The 30-day trial installer installs as Enterprise Edition but can be downgraded all the way to the Free Edition with a single click.
In short, SFTP servers help to securely transfer files using the FTP protocol. The above servers are some of the best ones available in the market today. We suggest you download one of the SFTP Server software above and test them out in your network/infrastructure. Each one of them has a Different feature set and pricing structure.
Our Favorite is Definitely going to be the FREE SolarWinds SFTP Server – You can Download at the Link below 100% Free and Use it as long as you want!