Staying on top of the different files and folders in your server helps to protect your confidential information and reduces the possibility of security hacks or breaches.
However, it is not practical to monitor every file or folder manually and this is why you need sophisticated file server monitoring tools and software.
Here is our list of the nine best file server monitoring tools:
- SolarWinds File Monitoring Software – FREE TRIAL Part of the Server & Application Monitor, this package is able to track changes to files and directory while also logging user access. The tool also monitors the performance and capacity of file servers. Installs on Windows Server.
- Atera – FREE TRIAL A remote monitoring and management service that is based in the cloud and tracks the performance of all system resources.
- ManageEngine OpManager – FREE TRIAL A monitoring package for network and servers that includes the capabilities to monitor storage servers on site and on the cloud. Available for Windows Server, Linux, AWS, and Azure.
- Netwrix An auditing system that tracks file access for data security standards compliance reporting. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- heckmk An infrastructure monitoring system that is able to monitor file servers and storage devices. Installs on Linux.
- FileAudit This tool maintains a database of file access events that contributes towards data protection standards compliance. Installs on Windows Server.
- NetFort LANGuardian Identifies sensitive data and logs all access to it with user and IP address information.
- Directory Monitor This tool gives live reports on file access while also creating logs for data security standards compliance. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- FolderChangesView A simple tool that shows live status changes on files held on the computer on which the utility is resident. Installs on Windows.
Here’s the Best File Server Monitoring Tools
This file monitoring software from SolarWinds comes bundled with its Server & Application Monitor, and it is designed to easily manage and monitor the performance of your file servers.
- Tracks file changes in real-time
- Ensures end-to-end monitoring
- Sends intelligent alerts for pre-defined thresholds.
- Creates easy-to-read reports.
- Monitors file changes across different operating systems and cloud environments.
- Ideal for auditing purposes
Pricing: The cost of Server & Application Monitor is $2,995.
Download: Click here to download a fully-functional 30-day free trial.
Atera remote monitoring and management (RMM) module provides all of the tools that technicians need to run IT resources.
- Real-time server monitoring
- Server capacity monitoring
- File server health supervision
- User activity monitoring
Pricing: The starting price for this system management platform is $79 per month per technician.
Download: Download a free trial.
ManageEngine OpManager is a monitoring package for networks and servers. Among the server types that this tool can watch over are storage devices.
- Monitors a range of storage server configurations, including SAN
- Maintains a storage tape library
- Scans for status problems
- Tracks performance metrics
- Raises alerts
- Sends problem notifications by SMS, email, ticketing system, or chat app
- Storage capacity forecasting utility
- Free version
- Free trial
- Available for Windows Server and Linux
- Offered as a service on the marketplace of AWS and Azure
- Free edition – $0 for 3 devices
- Standard edition – $245 for 10 devices
- Professional edition – $345 for 10 devices
- Enterprise edition – $11,545 for 250 devices
Download: Access a 30-day free trial.
Netwrix Auditor for Windows File Servers not only keeps track of who has accessed your files and folders but also gives actionable security intelligence that will help you to better protect your assets.
- Shows files, folders, and permissions that were created, deleted or modified on any day.
- Provides continuous file server auditing
- Creates ready-to-use reports on access events.
- Displays the successful and unsuccessful file read attempts
- Makes it easy to review effective permissions to files and folders
- Categorizes files based on the data they contain.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for pricing.
Download: Click here to download a 20-day free trial version.
Checkmk is an infrastructure monitoring bundle that covers networks, servers, and applications, so as well as monitoring your file servers, it will supervise the performance of all your other IT assets.
- Installs on Linux but can also monitor systems on Windows Server, macOS, and BSD.
- Examines the performance of the logical server and also the physical server’s properties.
- Produces schedules summary reports of daily activities on the server.
- Shows live performance metrics in the system dashboard.
- Measures the response times of FTP servers.
- Monitors network interface and network performance for file transfers.
Pricing: As well as the open-source Raw edition, there is a 30-day trial of the Enterprise edition. After the trial period, the tools reverts to a free version that is limited to monitoring 25 hosts. The paid versions are Enterprise Standard, which starts at 600 Euros, and the Enterprise Managed Services version, which starts at 1,200 Euros.
Download: Download a 30-day free trial of the Enterprise Edition.
FileAudit is file monitoring tool from IS Decisions and this tool helps an organization to protect its sensitive data and meet the compliance standards of different regulatory authorities.
- Monitors file access in real-time.
- Provides comprehensive, sortable, and real-time information about file access.
- Continuously examines different operations such as read, create, and delete.
- Sends alerts about potential breaches.
- Provides customizable graphical statistics to help with better decision-making.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for pricing.
Download: Click here to download a trial version.
NetFort’s file activity monitoring software uses deep packet inspection to give you comprehensive control over your file server.
- Monitors and logs all access to files and file shares. No additional logging is required on file servers or clients.
- Gives comprehensive information about usernames, file names, IP addresses of users, server names, and data volume.
- Tracks access to confidential data, files, or folders.
- Detects suspicious activities and data losses at the earliest and sends the same as alerts.
- Helps to monitor across remote locations.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for detailed pricing.
Download: Click here to download the trial version.
DirectoryMonitor is a tool that monitors and detects the changes made to your file system in real-time.
- Monitors changes in real-time, so you can see actions as they occur.
- Detects the users and applications that made changes to your files and folders.
- Stays on top of changes even when the system is down and during network outages as well.
- Provides text logs for future analysis.
- Supports automation through scripts
- Sends notifications in the form of emails, database records, and sound notifications.
Pricing: There are two versions – the basic one is free while the pro version comes at a price.
The price of the pro version is applicable for the entire lifetime and is as follows.
- One machine – $149
- Three machines – $299
- 10 machines – $749
Unlimited machines – $2499.
Download: Click here to download the basic version.
FolderChangesView from Nirsoft is a simple tool to monitor the chosen folders and disk drives. It lists out all the files that were created, deleted, or modified
- Requires no installation or additional DLL files. All that you have to do is run the executable file to get started.
- You can choose the specific folders or drives that you wish to monitor. This can be particularly handy if you have limited computer resources.
- Works well with both local disk drives and remote network shares, as long as you have read permission for that specific folder.
- You can export the file to many formats
- Easily translates the log information to 21 other languages.
Pricing: 100% FREE to use.
Download: Click here to download this tool.
To conclude, file server monitoring tools make it easy to track any changes to your files and folders.
The above-mentioned tools are simple to use and come with some powerful capabilities to give you complete control over your file system access and use.