SCP Servers help you transfer files to and from servers, computers and other networking devices using a secure-tunnel via SSH.
Secure Copy, or SC in short, is a network protocol that supports file transfers between hosts on the same network.
It is based on the BSD RCP protocol and uses a secure shell (SSH) to transfer data. It also uses the same process for authentication, and this makes the data transfer both secure and confidential.
SCP is mostly used by IT administrators to copy files between servers and networking devices. It is installed in places where users connect to download or upload files. Since it is a popular component, it is available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
Methodology for selecting the Best SCP Server Software
SCP Server Software provides a secure, reliable, and efficient way to transfer files between computers. This type of software is especially important for organizations that need to share confidential data or sensitive information with their clients or partners. With SCP Server Software, organizations can be sure that their data is safe and secure from unauthorized access, making it an invaluable asset in today’s digital world.
Selecting the best SCP server software is a critical process that requires careful consideration of various factors. Here, we have listed a few methodologies for selecting the best SCP server software.
- Check if the selected tool hardly takes any time to install and is easy to run
- Does it support activity logging for auditing systems
- Check if the remote-to-remote file copying feature is available
- Does it offer other file transfer protocol capabilities?
- Can you run scripts associated with file transfer tasks?
- Check the type of encryptions it uses to ensure secure file transfers
- Does the selected tool offer a free trial or assessment periods for free?
- Can you upgrade to a more comprehensive system for the selected tool?
- Check if it allows creating directories on the remote device.
Here’s the Best SCP Server Software
SCP is popular among IT administrators to transfer data between devices in a safe and secure manner. It is typically used to transfer data over a non-secure channel such as the Internet. Since the SCP server is widely used, there are many companies that offer it today. Let’s look at some of the best SCP server software.
SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server is a free SFTP server that is ideal for secure and reliable file transfers within the network. It is offered by SolarWinds, a company known for making products that greatly ease the work of an IT administrator.
- Allows files to be transferred concurrently from many devices.
- You can give authorization a specific or a range of IPs to transfer files
- Runs as a Windows service, so it can continue in the background even when the user is logged out.
- Simple interface and is easy to use for everyone.
- Though the default port is 22 for file transfers, you can change it any time in the configuration settings.
- It can also be used to archive configuration files for routers and switches.
- This tool comes with advanced encryption features.
- You can use this tool to transfer files across the Internet as well.
- Limit server operations to file uploads, downloads, and transfers
- Allows file transfer only up to 4GB in size
- SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server creates file backups automatically
- Simultaneous file transfer from different devices is supported
- Users have the option to accept a single IP or a collection of IPs
- Designed exclusively for network managers of small systems
Price: It is 100% free.
Official Download: You can download this tool from https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/free-sftp-server/registration
SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server is a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) and secure copy protocol (SCP) server designed to provide users with an easy-to-use, reliable, and secure way to transfer files over the internet. It allows users to securely connect to their remote systems, manage their data, and access files from any location. SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server offers a comprehensive set of features such as secure authentication, logging, encryption, and more. With its intuitive user interface and powerful security features, SolarWinds SFTP/SCP Server is the perfect choice for organizations that need a reliable solution for transferring files over the internet.
OS: Windows server
2. Bitvise SSH Server
Bitvise SSH server allows you to securely transfer files between devices and even offers a terminal shell access for Windows.
Bitvise SSH server comes with the following features.
- It supports all desktop and server versions of Windows, including 32-bit and 64-bit from Windows XP SP3 and Windows Server 2003 to Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
- Secures remote access through consoles such as vt100, xterm and bvterm
- It also supports GUI-based remote access through Remote Desktop or WinVNC.
- Offers high levels of security for file transfer.
- Provides secure and effortless integration with Git.
- Uses TCP/IP tunneling to establish a secure connection.
- It is easy to install, configure and use on Windows operating system. In fact, no configuration is required as it will start working as soon as you install it.
- Provides many advanced security and encryption measures that comply with different industry standards. Specifically, it meets the requirements of PCI, HIPAA and FIPS 140-2 validation.
- It puts no limits on the number of users who can connect. Also, the cost does not increase with more users. Only the system’s resources determine the number of simultaneous connections.
- Supports Windows group, so there is no need to define account settings for each user.
- Inherits virtual system mount points from multiple groups automatically.
- It can be configured with per-user as well as per-group quotas.
- Keeps a record of all transactions and provides daily, monthly and annual statistics at any time.
- Offers one of the fastest speeds, though the exact speed depends on the client.
- Supports advanced functions such as copy-file and check-file for remote hashing and checksums.
- Supports GSSAPI enabled Kerberos 5, NTLM and Kerberos 5 user authentication.
- Allows you to create virtual accounts in the SSH server.
- Upload and download limits can be configured for each user or group.
- It can forward terminal sessions to a legacy Telnet server.
- You can configure all the rules for SCP in the server.
- All settings can be configured from a text file, through a script or from the command line.
- You can create multiple instances for different users on the same computer.
- You can grant different levels of access to different users.
- Supports the following authentication types : Password authentication with Windows accounts, password authentication with virtual accounts, public key authentication, Kerberos single sign-on and time based one-time password.
- Uses Remote Desktop or WinVNC to support GUI-based remote access
- Complies with PCI, HIPAA, and FIPS 140-2
- Uses encryption methods for secure file transfer
- There are no restrictions on how many users can connect.
- Monitors and tracks daily transactions
- The saved profiles/sessions feature needs improvement.
- Does not offer SCP support
Price: The cost depends on the license type. The different options include.
|Worldwide internal use license||$25,000|
|Unlimited project license||$25,000|
|Large worldwide internal and external use license||$40,000|
Official Download: You can download a free trial from https://www.bitvise.com/download-area
As the name suggests, FreeSSHd is a free tool that allows you to connect securely and transfer files through a secure tunnel.
Below are some of the salient features of FreeSSHd.
- Makes it easy to set up a secure shell and a secure FTP server.
- Works well with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and any Windows server.
- You have the option to hide or show the FreeSSHd icon in the system tray, but it requires admin access.
- FreeSSHd can be used for remote administration.
- Works well in conjunction with other tools such as VNC.
- Comes with a GUI for editing and providing support for ANSI colors.
- There is support for automatic updates.
- Free and secure FTP server
- Extremely lightweight
- You can use FreeSSHd for remote administration
- Highly compatible with Windows versions
- Supports automatic updates
- Does not offer advanced link-sharing capabilities
- Does not allow multiple protocols
Price: It is free to use.
Official Download: You can download it from http://www.freesshd.com/?ctt=download
OpenSSH is a popular tool used for SCP and SSH connectivity. This was developed by members of the OpenBSD project and is available under a BSD license. It is a suite of programs that offers a good alternative to unsecured protocols such as FTP and Telnet.
The features of OpenSSH are as follows.
- Allows you to set up a secure tunnel for communications.
- Data forwarding is bidirectional, which means return communication is also sent back to the client.
- You can add multiple TCP connections over the same SSH tunnel.
- Allows you to conceal connections or encrypt protocols for your security.
- Since it does not use TCP-over-TCP tunneling, there tends to be no loss in data transmission.
- It allows applications to access remote network resources easily without requiring any modifications to SOCKS.
- The remote operations are taken care of by SCP, SSH and SFTP.
- Uses strong cryptography algorithms such as AES, CHaCha20, RSA, ECDSA and more.
- It’s X11 forwarding encrypts remote X Windows traffic.
- Port forwarding is done through an encrypted channel.
- Offers strong authentication tools such as public keys and one-time passwords.
- An authentication agent holds the agent’s authentication keys.
- Disables old protocols, ciphers and keys that are known to have vulnerabilities.
- Data compression is offered for slow networks.
- Supports many operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, AIX, HP-UX and others.
- SCP, SSH, and SFTP handle the remote operations
- Uses AES, RSA, and other strong cryptography algorithms for data security
- Port forwarding is available
- For slow networks, data compression is available.
- Over a single SSH tunnel, you can add more than one TCP connection
- No feature is available to manage a large number of hosts.
- Using a command line interface can be challenging
Price: It is available for free
5. Dropbear SSH
Dropbear SSH is a small SSH server and client that runs on different POSIX-based platforms. It is open source and is distributed under a MIT-style license.
The features of this tool are:
- Ideal for environments with memory constrains, as it occupies only a small amount of memory. It can be compiled into a 110kb statically linked binary file.
- Supports X11 forwarding and other kinds of authentication agent forwarding for OpenSSH clients.
- Can run as a standalone program.
- It is compatible with OpenSSH
- Server, client and keygen components can be compiled into a single binary.
- Gives the option to turn off certain features to conserve space.
- Supports the tunneling of different SSH hosts with a single command
- Works well on the following platforms
- Mac OS X
- FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD
- IRIS 6.5
- Tru64 5.1
- AIX 4.3.3
- HPUX 11.0
- Dropbear SSH is a lightweight, open-source SSH server
- Helps securely transfer data between two computers.
- Dropbear SSH is easier to install and configure
- X11 forwarding and other authentication are supported
- Uses a single command to tunnel multiple SSH hosts
- Lack of support for newer technologies
- Difficulty in setting up the server correctly
Price: It is free to use
Official Download: Dropbear SSH can be downloaded from vhttps://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/
In short, SCP server creates a secure tunnel to establish connections and transfer files. There are many options available today, most of which are free, so you can have a secure and reliable connection.