Working From Home (WFH) has become the new norm and is expected to continue well into the post-COVID world. While this has been good for most employees and organizations, there are still logistical issues and security concerns that are being ironed out.
One of the most prominent concerns is Remote Monitoring Management (RMM).
Here is our list of the best RMM tools:
- N-able RMM – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based RMM that is suitable for IT departments with multiple sites to manages as well as for MSPs. PSA and endpoint security add-ons available. You can get started with a free 30-day trial.
- Paessler PRTG Heavily geared to monitoring functions rather than system management. This package includes server, network, and application monitors. Runs on Windows Servers.
- Atera RMM A complete bundle of all of the software that an MSP requires that includes PSA systems as well as a full RMM package.
- Ninja RMM A cloud-based RMM that manages remote sites, including security monitoring, and has a lot of task automation utilities.
- ManageEngine Desktop Central A unified endpoint management system that includes the management of mobile devices in with its server and endpoint monitoring system. Installs on Windows Server.
What is Remote Monitoring Management?
Remote Monitoring Management, or RMM in short, is a platform designed to allow IT administrators and managed service providers to remotely monitor devices and endpoints.
What are some of the benefits of RMM?
- Location independence – One of the biggest advantages of RMM is its location independence. Regardless of where the end-device is located, you can fix issues, run routine tasks, and more remotely.
- Proactive maintenance – RMM comes with sophisticated monitoring tools that can identify and fix problems proactively.
- Security issues – It quickly detects any suspicious activity, probes the cause, and accordingly, takes steps to contain the breach
- Quick resolution – Since everything can be done remotely, no time is lost in fixing the problem.
- Automated maintenance – Many routine maintenance tasks like patch management can be configured to run automatically at scheduled intervals.
- Integration – Most RMM platforms integrate well with other automation and helpdesk tools to provide a seamless experience.
- Extensive reporting – These tools come with an advanced reporting framework to generate custom reports that meet all compliance requirements.
- Custom notifications – You can customize notifications to stay on top of different performance thresholds.
- Limit user access – You can set limits to user access, so people and devices access only the information they need.
Undoubtedly, the above benefits are invaluable for an organization and this is probably why RMM is touted to be a part of future workspaces.
That said, these benefits accrue only when you choose the appropriate RMM tool that best fits the needs of your organization.
Here is a list of some of the best RMM software and tools based on our extensive research and trusted users’ feedback.
The Best RMM Software and Tools
Let’s now take a detailed look into each of these tools.
N-able RMM is a comprehensive program that comes with a host of tools and features to maintain and secure your clients’ IT systems remotely. Coming from the stables of a renowned leader in monitoring, this platform is a one-stop place for all remote monitoring and management needs.
The important features of this tool are:
- Comes with out-of-the-box monitoring templates that you can use right away
- Provides remote patch management
- It’s a single solution to manage both Mac and Windows
- Since it is cloud-based, you don’t have to download or install any software
- You can easily automate repetitive tasks and no scripting knowledge is needed
- Generates advanced reports for quick decision-making
- Automatically identifies new devices in the network and you can add them to your remote management with a single click
- Its web protection feature safeguards users from visiting any malicious website
- Identifies sensitive information and accordingly, calculates the monetary value of every breach
- Has a well-developed password and documentation management system
Pricing: Varies according to the local currency; contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Start Trial: Get your free 30-day trial.
2. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor
Paessler PRTG Network Monitor is a remote monitoring management tool that helps to stay ahead of IT infrastructure issues. This easy-to-use solution is ideal for businesses of all sizes as it can monitor all kinds of devices in your IT infrastructure.
Some of the important features of this tool are:
- Supports most well-known technologies like SNMP, WMI, SSH, HTTPS, Ping, and more
- Gives a visual feel of the entire network with real-time maps
- You can create dashboards and integrate all devices with more than 300 different map objects
- Discovers problems or any unusual metrics, so they can be fixed right away
- Supports 10 different types of notifications such as emails, push notifications, SMS, and more
- Has multiple user interfaces to suit different devices such as desktops and mobile devices
- Comes with failover tolerant monitoring
- Each license comes with unlimited probes into devices and networks located in any part of the world.
- Exports your data to files of different formats such as PDF, XLS, HTML, XML, and more
- Monitors all the devices in an IT infrastructure including IoT, LANs, servers, workstations, desktops, mobile devices, cloud resources, and more.
Pricing: Since this tool is sensor-based, your cost depends on the number of sensors you use. Here is the cost break-up based on the number of sensors.
- 500 sensors + 1 server installation – $1,750
- 1000 sensors + 1 server installation – $3,200
- 2500 sensors + 1 server installation – $6,500
- 5000 sensors + 1 server installation – $11,500
- Unlimited sensors + 1 server installation – $15,500
- More than 20,000 and multiple server installations – Custom quote
Download: Your first 100 sensors are free. So, click here to try them.
3. Atera RMM
Atera RMM combines simplicity with functionality to give IT professionals and Managed Service Providers the tools they need for remote access, simplified billing, and extensive reporting – all through a single pane.
Some of the key features of Atera RMM are:
- Provides real-time status on a host of parameters such as system resources, Active Directory, Windows updates, SNMP Monitoring, and more.
- You can customize alerts to meet your preferences
- It comes with pre-configured administrative and maintenance tasks, so you can just choose, and apply them to computers and workstations.
- Allows patching to be applied to individual devices and groups
- It offers a suite of tools for advanced remote maintenance and this includes task manager, service manager, command prompt access, and more.
- Integrates well with SplashTop to provide instant remote support to customers around the world
- It gathers asset and network information for any device that has Athera installed in it.
- Generates advanced reports that can also be customized to meet specific needs.
- Provides clear visibility of the IT environment
- Maintain extensive logs
- Works well on both Windows and Mac environments
- Comes with automatic OID monitoring on Linux-based devices and printers
Pricing: Atera comes in three editions, namely,
- Pro – $79 per technician per month billed annually or $89 month-on-month
- Growth – $119 per technician per month billed annually or $129 month-on-month
- Power – $149 per technician per month billed annually or $169 month-on-month
The Growth plan scores over the Pro plan in the following aspects:
- Mac agent
- Direct QuickBooks online integration
- Chat with your customers
- >20 MB patch and scripting installations
The Power plan offers the following additional features over the Growth plan.
- Database snapshots
- Geo-redundant database
Download: Click here to download a trial version.
4. Ninja RMM
NinjaRMM is a powerful IT management software that comes with a host of features to manage the client endpoints. Built for the next generation of IT managers, this tool provides the best-in-class integrations through a single pane.
Here’s a look at the salient features of this tool.
- Provides a minute-by-minute status of all workstations, devices, laptops, and services, so you can identify problems and fix them quickly
- Gives a bird’s eye view of the information you need in a single window.
- Allows you to create custom alerts, so you can fix issues even before they are reported by end-users
- Comes with easy-to-use remediation tools like automated configuration management, remote command line, remote access, file explorer, and more.
- It is cloud-native and has a highly responsive UI to boost your productivity
- Simplifies even the most complex remediation with its 50+ scripting library. Alternatively, you can also build your own library.
- Gives a comprehensive view of security threats, so you can mitigate and eliminate them at the earliest
- Tracks the inventory, usage, and health of your hardware, software, users, and subscriptions.
- Provides top-notch and well-designed reports
- Offers excellent customer support
Pricing: Click here to get a personalized quote.
Download: Try NinjaRMM before you by clicking on this free trial link.
5. ManageEngine Desktop Central
ManageEngine’s Desktop Central is a unified endpoint management solution that allows you to stay on top of the performance and health of devices located anywhere. Further, this advanced desktop management solution can be customized to meet your needs.
Desktop Central comes with the following features.
- Automated patch deployment for OS and third-party applications
- Works well on Windows and Mac
- Comes with built-in templates for the simple installation and uninstallation
- Troubleshoots remote desktop with multi-user collaboration
- Manages all IT assets from a central location
- Has more than 50 predefined configurations for common scenarios such as power management, security, and more
- Scans and detects missing service packs.
- Generates advanced Active Directory and other reports
- Defines roles for user access
- Does OS deployment in both online and offline mode
- Restricts the use of USB devices, both at the user and device level
- Comes with an advanced mobile app for iOS and Android
Pricing: Fill this form to get a custom quote.
Download: Download a free trial version here.
Choosing an RMM Tool for your organization
To conclude, remote monitoring management is an essential part of today’s work-from-anywhere work culture as it helps IT professionals to stay on top of the health and performance of all devices in a client’s IT infrastructure. Though there are many RMM tools available today, it’s important to pick the one that best fits your needs.
We hope the above analysis of each of the top five RMM tools gives you an idea of the different choices available today, so you can make an informed decision.