Today, most business networks use virtual machines due to their flexibility and cost-effectiveness. Having a Virtual Machine in an organization can help save on cost, enhance productivity, and ease provisioning. There are many reasons why companies consider virtual machines as a great resource.
Over time, the use of virtual machines has increased. It also offers data safety and enables rapid disaster recovery with proper backups. Thus, it has become crucial to install or set up software that will aid in managing and monitoring these virtual machines. Remember, without proper maintenance, the VMs may stop working or start facing an issue after a period. As a result, the business might suffer from damage or data loss.
The only key to maintaining VMs is to safeguard their configurations. Also, create a backup for the stored data to avoid future damage. Failure in the backup may also lead to business disruptions. Luckily, we have tools and a proper solution to fix this problem.
Here is our list of the best virtual machine backup software:
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN) – FREE TRIAL An intuitive tool that helps track the performance and status of virtual machines on the cloud, on-premises, or hybrid environment.
- N-able Backup A SaaS platform that provides fast and reliable backup and disaster recovery solutions for workstations, servers, databases, and critical business documents.
- Veeam Backup & Replication Another backup software, released in 2008, for virtual machines that was designed in support of VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Altaro VM Backup Another good option with several features designed for Hyper-V and VMware. Released in 2009, Altaro VM Backup has grown globally and has become a great backup, replication, and recovery solution.
- Uranium Backup Pro Virtual A reliable backup software with the most amount of features. It allows admins to create an unlimited backup for their virtual machines and restore when needed.
- Veritas NetBackup Also referred to as Symantec NetBackup, provides unified data protection to all environments. An all-in-one solution for your business that manages all hosted and virtual machines simultaneously.
- Nakivo Backup and Replication A fast and reliable VMware backup solution with excellent cloud and security features designed for SMBs and enterprises.
- Iperius Backup Develops automatic scheduled backups for VMware virtual machines. It is one of the high-performance VM backup software designed for Windows, servers, databases, and VMs.
In this blog, we have listed the top virtual machine backup software and tools that may aid in the proper maintenance and functioning of your virtual machines. Before comparing each software, let us discuss the need for a Backup Virtual Machine and what factors to consider when choosing software for creating regular backups.
Why do We Need to Backup Virtual Machine?
Virtual machines help run multisystem applications simultaneously without any overhead cost. The concept of virtual machines has made it simple for the business to run applications without being linked to a physical machine. There are more reasons why VMs play a key role in the IT industry and other sectors. Let us discuss a few.
- Minimized Overhead On purchasing new hardware, your business has to manage its maintenance cost, power, licensing, and other overhead expenses. VMs also demand power usage and licensing, but resource consumption reduces for these machines. As a result, there is a reduction in overhead expenses for virtual machines.
- Centralized management Virtual machines consolidate the IT management into a single console. You no longer have to manage or handle multiple physical devices. Furthermore, monitoring all applications, systems, and operating units from one source saves time and energy. As a result, you notice an increase in the output and improved efficiency.
- Operational flexibility With the help of VMs, your IT experts have to no longer manage multiple displays and systems. You can run multiple applications simultaneously with virtual machines. Also, it keeps the physical system and the machines separate. Thus, adding a layer of security to business operations.
- Faster Disaster Recovery Virtual machines encompass this feature to create regular backups of their daily operations. With the help of a faster disaster recovery solution, your business can recover faster from data loss or any unexpected hardware failure. As a result, virtual machines in an organization help reduce the risk of data loss and future damage.
What to Look for in Virtual Machine Backup Software?
To ensure full data protection, one must create regular backups from the beginning. For improving the backup process, we recommend installing backup software that runs faster, requires less storage space and bandwidth. Backups for big virtual machine deployments can take more storage space and consume resources.
The best way to improve the VMware backups is to specify or select only the information that is crucial for your business. Secondly, clear all unwanted or zombie virtual machines. It may take a lot of your time and effort at first but will help pay off better results and efficient backup solutions in the future.
The Best Virtual Machine Backup Software
VMware backup tools can help your business run smoothly, even during outages. They ensure full data protection and monitor all your systems, devices, and servers. Find some of the best Virtual Machine Backup Software that supports features like incremental backups, snapshots, rapid recovery, and more. Check the tools with excellent features, and select one for your business operations.
SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN) is an intuitive tool that helps track the performance and status of virtual machines on the cloud, on-premises, or hybrid environment. It allows the systems to clean up software instances and configure the virtual machines correctly to create efficient backups.
VMAN is one of the best virtualization management suites with an extensive list of features that help in monitoring VMware and Hyper-V environments. It has a single console that aids in monitoring both environments in their data centers and generates reports on operating systems, usage, running hosts, and other aspects. With the help of SolarWinds Virtualization Manager, admins can also perform VM-level actions, including storage, making changes to VM memory, and the creation of snapshots.
However, the tool lacks a few functionalities, such as storage provisioning and template-based VM provisioning.
If you are looking for virtual server backup software, we recommend SolarWinds Virtualization Manager. The powerful tool offers better configurations, excellent Capacity Planning Tools, Virtual DNA features, easier troubleshooting, and other benefits. With the help of VMAN, admins can monitor the backup process and track if any related dependencies are getting affected.
- VM Sprawl Control
- Monitors VMware and Hyper-V environment
- Provides Insights on the performance, capacity, and infrastructure usage
- Supports Capacity Planning Tools
- VM monitoring dashboards
- Allows creation and deletion of snapshots
- It provides Predictive recommendations
- It has a single console that helps monitor and generate reports
- Alert System
- Allows monitoring historical changes to VM configurations
- Provides easier troubleshooting
- Provides access to view contextual dependency map
- Monitors and Manage On-premise, Hybrid & Cloud environment
- Supports chargeback deployment features
- Provides visibility and health status of the entire Application Stack
Website Link: https://www.solarwinds.com/virtualization-manager
Download: Click here for a 30-day free trial of SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN).
2. N-able Backup
N-able Backup is a SaaS platform that provides fast and reliable backup and disaster recovery solutions for workstations, servers, databases, and critical business documents. It is the cloud-first backup solution that helps businesses stores an extra copy of the entire disks, including VMWare systems and Hyper-V environment.
The best part about this backup system is it offers no storage and bandwidth restrictions. Furthermore, it supports frequent backup without any extra cost. For security purposes, the software ensures all the data stay protected by AES encryption with a 256-bit key. It has a centralized web-based dashboard to monitor all your data and view the backups.
N-able Backup is a popular cloud backup service provider that stores all the latest transfers in a cache to aid businesses in case of rapid recovery. The software is compatible with various platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, and maintains a backup off-site using the private cloud storage feature.
- Create entire disks backup
- Protects physical and virtual servers from a single console
- Allows taking entire virtual environments snapshot
- Protects data using AES encryption with a 256-bit key
- Provides rapid recovery service
- Allows creating Incremental backups
- Provides full disaster protection
- Protects data from anywhere
- Improves efficiency and reduces human error
- Supports cloud backup
- The direct-to-cloud backups help outsmart ransomware.
- Support frequent backup without extra charges
- Data Retention Management
- Workstation backup
- Allows faster backups and restores
- Provides security-focused storage
- Monitors all data and speed of on-premises backup
- Assigns private key to users for security
Website Link: https://www.n-able.com/features/vmware-backup
3. Veeam Backup & Replication
Released in 2008, Veeam Backup & Replication is another backup software for virtual machines. Veeam Backup & Replication software was designed in support of VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V. The software helps create image-based backups, restore and replicate data when needed. It also helps protect all files, applications, and workstations, regardless of your location.
The flexible agentless software is suitable for any business as it helps minimize recovery and compliance risks. Also, it comprises various features like secure cloud backups, unlimited storage, fully integrated cloud disaster recovery, and more that make it a top choice.
Veeam Backup & Replication is available in free and paid versions to users.
- It allows the creation of backups for virtual, physical, and cloud-based systems
- Integrates with AWS, Microsoft Azure, Oracle RMAN, SAP Backint, etc.
- Protects data from any location
- Minimize recovery and compliance risk
- Veeam Backup & Replication is a flexible and scalable solution
- Supports image-based backups
- It is portable across different platforms and environment
- It has an intuitive UI and is much easy to control
- Protects against ransomware
- Supports Flexible storage options
- Guarantee recovery and Increased cloud security
- The new version of the software offers integrated backup for Red Hat Virtualization
- Reduces downtime and data loss with in-built Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
Website Link: https://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup.html
4. Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup is another good option with several features designed for Hyper-V and VMware. Released in 2009, Altaro VM Backup has grown globally and has become a great backup, replication, and recovery solution. It uses a single console and comprises in-built features that help minimize backup storage needs.
With Altaro VM Backup, there is no stress about the downtime issue. The tool supports live backups for all hosts and running virtual machines. Also, its off-site storage and replication features, Disaster Recovery Scenarios, File Granular Restore help recover and access data from any location.
Altaro VM Backup has an intuitive and engaging interface compatible with Linux, Unix, MAC, and Windows operating systems.
- Altaro VM Backup allows creating a backup for virtual business environments
- Augmented Inline Deduplication
- Backup Scheduling
- Supports data recovery
- The software provides Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
- WAN-Optimized Replication
- Granular Restore
- Supports a single Cloud-based management console
- Uses Microsoft VSS to take Live Backups
- Supports Off-site storage and replication features
- Advanced API automation options
- Altaro VM Backup software is compatible with Linux, Unix, MAC, and Windows operating systems.
- Drive Swapping
Website Link: https://www.altaro.com/vm-backup/
5. Uranium Backup Pro Virtual
Uranium Backup Pro Virtual is reliable backup software with the most amount of features. It allows admins to create an unlimited backup for their virtual machines and restore when needed. It supports backup, replication, and recovery for both Hyper-V and VMware hosts. The software supports incremental backup features for all versions of VMWare, ESX, ESXi, as well as vSphere.
Another feature is thin provisioning disks that help in increasing the backup speed and reduce the physical disk occupation. Additionally, Uranium Backup Pro Virtual allows users to perform parallel backups and save VMs anywhere.
It is a powerful solution compatible with Windows Server. If you are looking for software that has no restrictions on the number of backups, go for Uranium Backup Pro Virtual. Try the 21-day free trial before finalizing the product.
- Uranium Backup Pro Virtual software provides unlimited backups for Hyper-V and VMware hosts and servers
- Supports incremental backups
- Thin provisioning backup support
- It provides instant recovery when a disaster occurs
- Integrates well with Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, and other cloud back up services
- Creates VSS Backup of locked and open files using Uranium Backup Pro Virtual
- Affordable VMware ESXi backup solution
- Cloud Backup
- Uranium Backup Pro Virtual is compatible with Windows Server
- It allows admins to perform Parallel Backups
- Backup Scheduling
- It offers Secure Data Storage features
- Supports File Synchronization
- Zip compression and encryption
- Integrated scheduler for automatic backups
6. Veritas NetBackup
Veritas NetBackup also referred to as Symantec NetBackup, provides unified data protection to all environments. If you are looking for an all-in-one solution for your business that manages all hosted and virtual machines simultaneously, you are at the right place. The popular tool has a single management console with the ability to manage all physical and cloud-based deployments quickly.
It is on-premise backup software with enterprise-grade backup and recovery features. Also, you can perform operations at the backend without disturbing the other functions, programs, and daily processes. Another feature is it offers integrated deduplication, role-based access control, and allows easy installation.
For security purposes, it keeps all data safe using TLS and AES 256 encryption. The non-intrusive and user-friendly software is compatible with Linux, Windows, and UNIX. Also, it helps protect data across all hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
- Monitors hosted and virtual machines from a single console
- Provides integrated deduplication
- The Veritas NetBackup tool is easy to install
- Supports fast file recovery and backup
- The software provides unified data protection
- Provides Enterprise-Grade Resilience
- Secure the data from ransomware attacks
- Role-based access control
- TLS and AES 256 encryption
- Non-disruptive backups
- Two-factor authentication support
- AI/ML anomaly detection
- Allows admin to view entire application infrastructure
- Uses predictive analytics and scans potential threats 24/7
- Supports granular recovery
- Protects data across hybrid and multi-cloud environment
- Supports snapshot orchestration
- SLA compliance
- Supports VMware, Nutanix AHV, Red Hat Virtualization, and Microsoft Hyper-V
Website Link: https://www.veritas.com/protection/netbackup
7. Nakivo Backup and Replication
Nakivo Backup and Replication is a fast and reliable VMware backup solution with excellent cloud and security features designed for SMBs and enterprises. Many companies use this software to protect data across different environments. It also offers a site recovery option and performs image-based backups.
One can easily deploy the software on physical and virtual machines. It supports various features, such as disaster recovery orchestration, ransomware protection, incremental backup, instant recovery, and more. As a result, you no longer need to buy expensive standalone DR products.
It also supports granular restore for files. Nakivo Backup and Replication is one of the affordable and flexible cloud storage platforms that protect data for vCenter-managed and standalone ESXi workloads. IT professionals who need simple backup and replication solutions can switch to Nakivo Backup and Replication software.
- Easy to deploy in physical and virtual machines
- Automates VM protection
- Instantly tests backup
- Automates site recovery, VM Flash Boot, P2V recovery
- Full P2V Recovery
- Supports vSphere 7
- Data Migration
- Document Management
- Incremental backups
- Reduces the impact of ransomware incidents
- Nakivo is suitable for virtual, physical, cloud, and SaaS environments
- Supports Tape Backup
- Granular recovery
- Full Technical support at all times
- Provides better insights into VMware vSphere infrastructure
- Supports advanced integration and storage solutions
Website Link: https://www.nakivo.com/vm-backup/
8. Iperius Backup
Iperius Backup develops automatic scheduled backups for VMware virtual machines. It is one of the high-performance VM backup software designed for Windows, servers, databases, and VMs. Thousands of companies prefer the software over other competitors due to its flexibility, scalability, excellent features, and the balance it maintains between cost and value.
It follows an easy licensing approach and supports various backup products packed with amazing features for different platforms. Iperius Backup is a great option as it provides centralized monitoring and remote connection. In addition, the software supports incremental backup, synchronization, etc.
Get the complete solution for your enterprise that will protect all your virtual machines at an unbeatable price. It is an affordable, easy-to-use backup and recovery solution for Hyper-V / ESXi and vSphere Hypervisor.
- Supports automatic scheduled backups of virtual machines
- Provides incremental backups
- Disaster Recovery
- Secure Data Storage
- Supports military-grade AES encryption
- Supports Zip64 compression
- Iperius is compatible with ESXi and Hyper-V
- It is compatible with all database types, including SQL, NoSQL, and unconventional niche databases
- Drive Imaging
- Generates detailed reports
- Alerts/email notifications
- FTP Backup
- Automatic Authentication
- Tape Backup
- Lightweight and portable backup solution
- Iperius backup solution is compatible with all devices and platforms.
In this modern computing environment, the demand for virtual machines is very high. They are one of the cost-effective solutions that enhance productivity and ease provisioning. For proper functioning of these virtual machines at all times, we recommend proper maintenance of virtual machines. For maintaining and monitoring VMs, it is best to find some top Virtual Machine Backup Software that will aid in data protection and safeguard the configurations.
Choose from a wide range of backup software for Hyper-V and VMware from the above list. Compare each backup software and its features before finalizing a product. Virtual Machines help run multiple applications simultaneously without disrupting the functioning and operations. With proper backup and replication features, the risk of data loss will minimize.
Make sure the selected software supports compression and comprises deduplication capabilities for better storage. Choose enterprise version for your large business environment as basic features cannot resolve complex VM configurations.