Security is undoubtedly an integral part of every organization, but staying on top of every possible event/trigger that can cause a potential vulnerability is not easy given the huge number of applications and devices used within an organization’s network.
This is where automated tools come in handy, as they help to keep track of the working of applications, possible events and triggers that can increase vulnerability, and more. These tools are often grouped under Security Information and Event Management, or SIEM in short.
Here is our list of the top SIEM Tools:
- SolarWinds Security Event Manager – FREE TRIAL A simple and powerful SIEM solution that gives the information you need, without the associated complexity and cost. This tool comes loaded with many features that provide the insights you need to understand the security vulnerabilities in your applications and the environment as a whole. Get a 30-day free trial.
- Heimdal Threat Hunting and Action Center – ACCESS DEMO This cloud-based platform gathers activity reports from Heimdal products on a site and mines that pool of data for threat indicators. The package also implements automated responses. Access a free demo.
- ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer – FREE TRIAL A SIEM tool that gives insights into the potential threats in your network and helps you address them at the earliest. It is a comprehensive tool that provides information about the networks, servers, and applications in your infrastructure. Start a 30-day free trial.
- ManageEngine Log360 – FREE TRIAL This security package includes a SIEM, a file integrity monitor, and a log manager. Runs on Windows Server. Start a 30-day free trial.
- Datadog Security Monitoring Designed to provide greater visibility to your environment from a security standpoint, so you can address the possible vulnerabilities at the earliest. The unified information and tools it provides reduce the chances for security attacks as well.
- RSA NetWitness A security monitoring solution that collects, analyzes, and reports log data from different sources to give a comprehensive idea of the possibility of threats within the organization and to improve compliance with established security standards.
- Splunk Enterprise System A SIEM solution that helps organizations to quickly detect external and internal threats and respond to them appropriately, so the risks are minimized and the assets are safeguarded.
- LogRhythm NextGen SIEM An advanced platform that detects threats in real-time and gives you the associated context, so you can fix the underlying cause right away. It also promotes collaboration between teams to remediate quickly and efficiently.
- Securonix An advanced platform for collecting information and analyzing them to identify threats and helping an organization to respond to them right away.
- IBM QRadar Helps teams to accurately detect and prioritize threats across the enterprise, so the existing resource can be used efficiently to mitigate and remediate them. It also helps with planning to ensure that the most critical issues are addressed first.
- FortiSIEM A powerful SIEM and UEBA tool that can improve the overall cybersecurity of an organization and empower it with the information needed to identify and mitigate the existing threats and vulnerabilities.
SIEM is a sub-category within organizational security that collects log and event data generated by the different applications used within the organization. This information is analyzed in real-time to give you insights into the performance of different applications, their vulnerabilities, availability, health, performance, and more.
The Best SIEM Tools
Due to this ability to provide centralized and aggregated information and a detailed analysis of the same, SIEM tools are popularly used by organizations around the world.
This demand has led to the emergence of many tools, so if you’re starting your search for one, it can be an overwhelming experience to navigate through this market to find the one that will best fit your needs.
To ease this process and to help you make an informed decision, in this post we have gathered the best SIEM tools. Let’s take a detailed look into the features and pricing of each of these tools.
SolarWinds Security Event Manager is a simple and powerful SIEM solution that gives the information you need, without the associated complexity and cost. This tool comes loaded with many features that provide the insights you need to understand the security vulnerabilities in your applications and the environment as a whole.
Some of the salient features of SolarWinds Security Event Manager are:
- Improves security, monitoring, and troubleshooting
- Actively detects end-user activity
- Simplifies audits with real-time correlations to help you understand the root cause
- Provides immediate threat remediation by allowing you to configure custom rules needed to prevent a breach.
- Detects threats across environments to provide in-depth security
- Tracks all the logon and logoff activities with a centralized events monitor
- Handles all the requirements for compliance risk management
- Continuously monitors applications across environments to assess them for risks
- Gives actionable insights from logs to detect and handle security risks
- Comes with a Botnet detection tool that proactively monitors your systems for bot attacks
- Its centralized log management provides all the data you need in a single view and in the process, gives complete control over the working of your applications
- Meets the compliance requirements of industry standards
- Has multi-event correlation capabilities to detect and prevent cross-site scripting attacks
- Uses cyber threat analysis to protect your environment
- Its database audit tool improves the security and performance of your databases
- Monitors event logs from varied sources to prevent DDoS attacks
- Protects your database from SQL injection attacks
- Detects intrusions right away
- Correlates log patterns to send threat warnings
- Its real-time log analyzer improves threat awareness
- Protects sensitive information from attacks
- Analyzes firewalls and logs to prevent cyberattacks
- Identifies spear phishing attacks
- Implements best practices to detect ransomware attacks
- Simplifies the incident response process
- Monitors user activities and logins to reduce the chances for insider attacks
Pricing: Starts at $2,613
Download: Click here for a fully functional 30-day free trial.
Heimdal Threat Hunting and Action Center is an add-on package for users of Heimdal on-premises cybersecurity tools. This service binds those individual elements into a platform by consolidating activity data that the on-premises units upload to the Heimdal cloud server. The Action Center holds playbooks for automated responses that are triggered by the discovery of a threat.
The Threat Hunting and Action Center platform has the following features:
- Unifies the activities of at least three on-premises Heimdal cybersecurity systems
- Performs threat detection on consolidated activity reports
- Provides risk management through vulnerability scanning and system hardening
- Automated responses implemented through on-premises units
- Requires at least three different Heimdal services to be installed on-premises
- Unifies the activities of on-device Heimdal Net-Generation Anti-Virus installations
- NGAV for Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Interfaces with the mobile device management tool in the NGAV, which watches devices running Android or iOS
- Supports Network Security, Email Security, Patching & Asset Management, and Endpoint Security units
- Provides automated responses, which could involve multiple on-premises packages
- Blocks lateral movement by malware or intruders
- Offers an opportunity to implement user behavior tracking
- Provides an overview of all system activity
- A hybrid cybersecurity tool with elements on-site and on the cloud
Pricing: Heimdal doesn’t publish a price list.
Download: Heimdal offers a demo of the Threat Hunting & Action Center instead of a free trial.
EventLog Analyzer from ManageEngine is a SIEM tool that gives insights into the potential threats to your network and helps you address them at the earliest. It is a comprehensive tool that provides information about the networks, servers, and applications in your infrastructure.
EventLog Analyzer has the following features:
- Automatically analyzes the logs to give you information such as user accesses, unusual activities, anomalies in user behavior, data thefts, security violations, and more
- Supports both agentless and agent-based log collections
- Raises a ticket alert in your system for event rule violation
- Correlates data across different sources to give you a comprehensive view
- Comes with a drag-and-drop builder and a custom rule engine with 30 pre-defined rules
- Offers a single console for viewing all your security-related log data
- Creates compliance reports for meeting different industry standards
- Detects threats from malicious IP addresses
- Collects data from perimeter devices as well
- Archives log data for custom periods
- Provides valuable insights into malicious inbound and outbound traffic
- Comes with augmented threat intelligence
- Processes logs at the speed of 25K logs per second to get quick forensic analysis
- Gives you the information needed to reduce the chances of an attack.
Pricing: EventLog Analyzer comes in three editions, and they are:
- Free ($0) – Supports up to five log sources
- Premium ($595/year) – Supports 1,000 log sources
- Distributed ($2495) – Supports unlimited log sources
Download: You can download a 30-day free trial.
ManageEngine Log360 is a SIEM system that gets a threat intelligence feed and practices user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA) for anomalous activity detection. The UEBA system is an AI-based machine learning mechanism that establishes a pattern of typical behavior for each user account and device. The SIEM continues to observe activity and adjusts the baseline accordingly to reduce the likelihood of false-positive reporting.
The key attributes of this package are:
- Runs on Windows Server
- File integrity monitoring
- Log management
- Collects logs from more than 700 software packages
- Gathers Windows Events and Syslog messages
- Extracts activity data from AWS, Azure, and Salesforce cloud platforms
- User and entity behavior analytics for activity baselining
- Anomaly detection for suspicious activity
- Feeds notifications to ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus, Jira, and Kayoko
- Compliance with PCI DSS, FISMA, HIPAA, SOX, GDPR, and GLBA
- Data viewer with analysis tools
Pricing: There are two editions of ManageEngine Log360: Free and Professional. You need to get a quote to find out the price.
Download: Start a 30-day free trial.
5. Datadog Security Monitoring
Datadog’s Security Monitoring tool is designed to provide greater visibility to your environment from a security standpoint, so you can address the possible vulnerabilities at the earliest. The unified information and tools it provides reduce the chances for security attacks as well.
Some of the salient features of this tool are:
- Provides end-to-end visibility for dynamic cloud environments
- Easily tracks your compliance levels
- Detects threats in real-time
- Delves deep into your infrastructure metrics and logs to identify threats in real-time
- Provides comprehensive visibility across all layers and systems through a single pane
- Comes with more than 450 integrations to collect data and metrics from all possible applications and stacks
- Has out-of-the-box reporting templates and dashboards
- Gives contextual information to help you to zero in on the problem
- Automatically parses data from your logs into a human-readable form
- Its detection rules feature allows you to detect threats in real-time
- These rules can be modified to suit specific circumstances, so users have complete control over what they do and can use the recommendations from the tool.
Pricing: There are three broad plans, and you can customize them to meet your specific requirements. Contact the sales team for such customizations and bulk discounts.
The pricing structure for the three plans are:
- Free – $0
- Pro – $15 per host per month
- Enterprise – $23 per host per month
Download: Click here for a 14-day free trial.
6. RSA NetWitness
RSA NetWitness is a security monitoring solution that collects, analyzes, and reports log data from different sources to give a comprehensive idea of the possibility of threats within the organization and to improve compliance with established security standards.
Here’s a look at some of the important features of RSA NetWitness:
- Collects log data from all applications and devices
- Provides business context for information from the network and endpoint devices
- Identifies new and unknown threats with real-time data
- Drills down into logs
- Detects and identifies threats using sophisticated rules
- Increases the speed and efficiency through automation
- Integrates multiple risk factors to improve incident response
- Identifies early threat indicators and analyzes their impact
- Continuously monitors and responds to threats on endpoint devices such as laptops and virtual machines
- Enables collaboration to respond to threats
- Provides a unified approach to managing digital risks
Pricing: Pricing is based on throughput, with the lower tiers having more cost/throughput when compared to the higher tiers. It also has a term license that costs $857 per year. The automation and orchestration part is also available on a term license basis that costs $8200 per year.
Download: Click here for a free trial.
7. Splunk Enterprise Security
Splunk Enterprise System is a SIEM solution that helps organizations to quickly detect external and internal threats and respond to them appropriately, so the risks are minimized and the assets are safeguarded.
The salient features of Splunk Enterprise Security are:
- Provides visibility into the complete infrastructure
- Ingests data from the logs of systems and applications across cloud and on-premises environments, and analyzes the same to provide meaningful and actionable insights
- Helps to quickly detect malicious threats
- Investigates and correlates activities across multiple environments
- Gives teams the freedom of managing value-add security tasks instead of focusing on hardware management
- Uses alert management and risk scores to present the most relevant threats for your attention
- Comes with customizable dashboards and reports
- Automatically triggers alerts when the values exceed established thresholds
- Offers all the investigative tools needed to provide a quick and efficient response to the emerging threats
- Provides context-driven alerts and automation when needed
- Helps with compliance with security standards
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a quote.
Download: Click here for a free download.
8. LogRhythm NextGen SIEM
LogRhythm NextGen SIEM is an advanced platform that detects threats in real-time and gives you the associated context, so you can fix the underlying cause right away. It also promotes collaboration between teams to remediate quickly and efficiently.
LogRhythm’s NextGen SIEM has the following features.
- Searches across the log and machine data to give the data you want
- Automates repetitive task and labor-intensive work
- Identifies threats quickly by poring through the logs
- Enhances collaboration to remediate threats
- Eliminates blind spots
- Scales well with your growing business
- Has a modular design that makes it easy to add components when needed
- Centralizes log data and enriches it with contextual information
- Comes with customizable dashboards and reports
- Can be deployed in the cloud or on-premises
- Adds value to your IT operations
- Has prebuilt compliance modules to detect violations
Pricing: Contact the sales team for more information.
Download: At present, there are no publicly available free trials. You can always contact the team for custom trials.
Securonix’s SIEM is an advanced platform for collecting information and analyzing them to identify threats and helping an organization to respond to them right away.
Below are some of the important features of Securonix:
- Built on big data to provide advanced analytics
- Collects massive data in real-time from different systems and applications
- Uses patented machine learning algorithms to identify advanced threats
- Provides artificial intelligence-based response capabilities
- Gives profound visibility and scalability to your organization’s operations
- Has a cloud-based infrastructure for multi-tenancy
- Decreases the meantime to detect threats
- Comes with intuitive features such as spotter search, response bot, and case management to efficiently identify and track vulnerabilities
- Helps to realize ROI quickly
- Acts as a seamless solution to handle all threats
Pricing: The pricing is based on identities, so you have the flexibility to add the necessary volume and velocity to your plan.
Download: Click here to request a demo.
10. IBM QRadar
IBM QRadar helps teams to accurately detect and prioritize threats across the enterprise, so the existing resource can be used efficiently to mitigate and remediate them. It also helps with planning to ensure that the most critical issues are addressed first.
The features of IBM QRadar are:
- Accurately detects threats across the entire organization
- Provides intelligent insights that help the teams to respond quickly to a threat
- Consolidates log events and flow data across devices, applications, and endpoints
- Correlates information into unified alerts for better action
- Prioritizes threats so organizations can use their resources efficiently
- Available for cloud-based and on-premises applications
- Eliminates manual tasks
- Comes with out-of-the-box templates for real-time analytics
- Complies with both organizational and industry-specific guidelines and practices
- Automatically parses logs and converts them to a human-readable form
- Integrates with 450+ tools and applications
- Has a flexible architecture
- Highly scalable
Pricing: Offers flexible payment plans to suit your business needs. Contact the sales team for a quote.
Download: Click here to start your 14-day free trial.
FortiSIEM is a powerful SIEM and UEBA tool that can improve the overall cybersecurity of an organization and empower it with the information needed to identify and mitigate the existing threats and vulnerabilities.
Here’s a look at some of the important features of FortiSIEM:
- Detects unusual user and entity behavior without requiring complex rules
- Identifies internal and external threats with high levels of precision
- Builds a risk score of devices and users
- Provides a centralized view of the performance of different applications
- Comes with out-of-the-box compliance reports
- Continuously updates device context to provide relevant information to the administrators
- Searches events in real-time with no indexing being required
- Integrates with external websites for IP address lookup
- Use both agent-based and agentless data collection, depending on the source
- Works well on both Windows and Linux
Pricing: Contact customer support for pricing.
Download: Click here to schedule a demo.
SIEM tools are necessary for every organization as it collates data from different sources, analyzes them, and presents a concise and context-based summary of existing vulnerabilities and possible threats along with a priority for each. There are many SIEM tools available today and each comes with some unique features, so the choice depends on what you need. The above-mentioned tools can be a good starting point to know what each of them offers, so you can make an informed choice for beefing up your organization’s security.