Databases are an integral part of every software, and system infrastructure as this is the layer that stores data and retrieves it when needed. Since the process of storage and retrieval is critical for any application, you must ensure that the database is in optimum health and performance at all times. Also, any improvements or failures in its performance can impact the interpretation of one or more of your applications.
Here is our list of the Best Database Monitoring Tools:
- SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) – FREE TRIAL A top-notch tool created by experts to stay on top of your databases’ health and performance, do performance fine-tuning where needed, analyze its working, get the necessary metrics for analysis, and more. Its real-monitoring coupled with a host of features such as cross-platform support and AI make it an effective tool for anyone who wants to monitor the underlying database.
- Datadog A comprehensive way of staying on top of metrics, performance, traces, and logs from your infrastructure. It also monitors the health and performance of your databases at all times, so you can proactively fix issues and resolve deadlocks before they impact your applications.
- Paessler PRTG Network Monitor A sensor-based monitoring system that can monitor a wide range of devices on your network, including databases. It comes with many sensors explicitly designed for monitoring different databases and to ensure that they work optimally.
- Site24X7 Server Monitoring An intuitive and advanced SQL server monitoring tool that ensures the availability and performance of your SQL server. It is designed to deliver optimal SQL performance 24X7.
- OpsView Designed to provide unified database monitoring across your entire infrastructure that could include both on-premises and cloud systems. It is a comprehensive tool that analyzes all aspects of your database to give the insights you need in real-time.
- dbWatch An advanced database monitoring tool that helps you stay on top of the performance of all your databases and sends notifications in real-time to alert you to any specific operation.
- Spiceworks SQL Server Monitoring A simplified and efficient way to keep track of the health and performance of your SQL server, so you can detect and fix issues before they impact the end-users.
- SQL Power Tools An intelligent and robust solution that analyzes all SQL queries 24X7 to ensure that your database is safe at all times. Plus, it is a zero-impact database monitoring solution that significantly adds to its overall credibility.
Given this criticality of the database performance, it makes sense to monitor it all the time, But this may not be easy given the vastness of the database itself. This is why automated database monitoring tools can come in handy for you.
In this article, we’ll take an in-depth look into the best database monitoring tools available in the market today, so you can decide which of these is the best bet for you. L et’s jump into the specifications and features of each of these tools right away.
The Best Database Monitoring Tools
SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) is a top-notch tool created by experts to stay on top of your databases’ health and performance, perform fine-tuning where needed, analyze its working, get the necessary metrics for analysis, and more. Its real-monitoring coupled with a host of features such as cross-platform support and AI make it an effective tool for anyone who wants to monitor the underlying database.
Here is a detailed look at the features of SolarWinds DPA.
- Provides cross-platform support for both cloud and on-premises databases
- Its anomaly detection feature is powered by machine learning
- Supports the monitoring of VMware vSphere
- The PerfStack and AppStack integrate well with the Orion platform
- Displays the metrics from Oracle databases on an easy-to-use dashboard
- Analyzes and solve performance issues on Amazon AWS EC2 databases
- Monitors Amazon RDS databases
- Maintains high performance across MySQL databases
- Quickly resolves issues and, in the process, improves user experience
- Improves the SQL performance on Microsoft Azure virtual machines and the underlying SQL databases that may support it
- Detects issues across platforms
- Makes it easy to deploy efficient database development solutions
- Comes with a DevOps tool to improve database management
- Supports streamlined troubleshooting across different databases
- Suggests optimal techniques for enhancing the performance of databases
- Quickly discovers the source of problems in performance
- Comes with a scalable database replication monitoring tool for the most accurate monitoring results
- Identifies and resolves performance issues at the earliest
- Creates intuitive and easy-to-understand reports for improved planning
- Helps with compliance
- Gives you visuals of the impact of hardware and virtualization changes on the database performance
- The purpose-built optimization feature of SolarWinds DPA improves the performance of MySQL databases
- Its multidimensional query analysis gives a snapshot of the performance of PostgreSQL
- Diagnoses and resolves SQL Server deadlocks
- Quickly tracks changes and sends notifications accordingly
- Stays on top of SQL fragmentation slowdowns
- Monitors all databases in real-time
Pricing Starts at $1,111
Download Click here for a fully functional
14-day free trial.
2. Datadog Database Monitoring
Datadog’s database monitoring tool is a comprehensive way of staying on top of metrics, performance, traces, and logs from your infrastructure. It also monitors the health and performance of your databases at all times, so you can proactively fix issues and resolve deadlocks before they impact your applications.
The key features of Datadog’s database monitoring tool are as follows.
- Monitors essential metrics such as throughput, query execution, connections, buffer pool usage, and more
- Identities issues like slow queries, bottlenecks, errors, full-latency breakdowns, and more
- Ingests log events to identify patterns and the underlying issues that cause them
- Comes with turnkey database monitoring integrations for MongoDB, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Provides critical visibility into the performance of your database
- Explores and identifies dependencies in real-time
- Traces application requests to identify problems in your code
- Seamlessly navigates between different metrics in the same pane
- Comes with out-of-the-box database monitoring dashboards, graphs, and widgets
- Sets intelligent alerts to monitor critical aspects of the database
- Automatically tracks data from auto-scaling infrastructure
- Investigates log services across the entire infrastructure
- Sends real-time alerts
- Correlates database performance metrics to give you a comprehensive view of the state of affairs of your entire infrastructure
- Gives a visual look into the application and database dependencies
- Unifies database monitoring through the entire infrastructure
Pricing Datadog offers three comprehensive plans, and they are:
- Pro – $15 per host per month
- Enterprise – $23 per host per month
Besides, many add-ons can be included in your plan to get specific monitoring capabilities, and of course, they would cost extra.
Download: Click here for a 14-day free trial.
3. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor
Paessler PRTG is a sensor-based monitoring system that can monitor a wide range of devices on your network, including databases. It comes with many sensors explicitly designed for monitoring different databases and to ensure that they work optimally.
The capabilities of PRTG’s databases sensors are:
- Ensures that database queries are processed within the stipulated time. If it exceeds the set threshold limits, it sends alerts
- Sends alerts if database queries return unexpected values
- Comes with built-in sensors for monitoring many databases like SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle
- Uses the Active X Data Objects (ADO) interface for monitoring other databases
- You can choose from two sensor types – ones that monitor the database directly and those that monitor the performance of the database
- Many sensors monitor the content of the database
- Performance monitoring sensors is available only for SQL
- Monitors performance through WMI
- Gives the flexibility to set up different metrics
Some of the sensors you can choose for monitoring your database.
- Microsoft SQL v2 sensor
- MySQL v2 sensor
- Oracle SQL v2 sensor
- PostgreSQL sensor
- ADO SQL v2 sensor
- WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019 sensor
Pricing The cost depends on the number of sensors you use. Typically, one sensor measures a specific metric in one unit. Here is the breakdown of the cost.
- First 100 sensors – Free
- PRTG 500 – 500 sensors, 1 server installation – $1,750
- PRTG 1000 – 1000 sensors, 1 server installation – $3,200
- PRTG 2500 – 2500 sensors, 1 server installation – $6,500
- PRTG 5000 – 5000 sensors, 1 server installation – $11,500
- PRTG XL1 – Unlimited sensors, 1 server installation – $15,500
- PRTg Enterprise – 20,000 sensors +, unlimited server installations – Custom quote
Download: Click here to get the first 100 sensors.
4. Site24x7 Database Monitoring
Site24x7 has an intuitive and advanced SQL server monitoring tool that ensures the availability and performance of your SQL server. It is designed to deliver optimal SQL performance 24X7.
Here’s a look at what this database monitoring tool can do for you.
- Mitigates server sprawl
- Gives you complete control over the performance of your database
- Sends instant notifications on failovers
- Provides detailed information about memory and buffer to help you with capacity planning
- Drill down into performance metrics like errors, compilations, and transaction times
- Helps the DevOps team to focus on intense aspects like job locks and latches
- Captures the different database attributes to give you a comprehensive idea of your SQL’s performance
- Finds and analyzes slow and inefficient SQL queries
Pricing: The starter pack starts at $9 per month, and it covers 10 websites/servers/clouds, 500MB logs, five network monitoring interfaces, two NetFlow analyzer devices, and standard support. You can always include add-ons at extra cost to suit your needs.
Download: Click here to get started.
OpsView’s database monitoring tools are designed to provide unified database monitoring across your entire infrastructure that could include both on-premise and cloud systems. It is a comprehensive tool that analyzes all aspects of your database to give the insights you need in real-time.
Some of the salient features of OpsView’s database monitoring are:
- The MySQL OpsPack monitors 39 performance metrics, including sessions, connects, free blocks, and more
- Enables you to monitor every change
- Its reporting module comes with out-of-the-box reporting modules that can provide a visual snapshot of the database’s performance
- The Oracle OpePack monitors 42 performance metrics
- There are 22 service checks for transactions, wait stats, and other metrics in SQL databases
- Sends immediate notifications when the critical metrics go out of the established thresholds
- Ensures that all database systems and applications perform at optimal levels
- Proactively checks to avoid transaction failures
- Tracks and manages fast proliferating databases
- Works to prevent data loss
- Captures operational metrics for each database class and type
- Quickly discovers and remediates the underlying issue
OpsView monitors the following databases
- IBM DB2
- Microsoft SQL
- Amazon RDS
- Azure SQL
- Google Cloud MySQL
- AWS DynamoDB
Pricing: There are two OpsView plans, and they are:
- OpsView Cloud – Ideal for MSPs as it starts at 150 hosts and can scale up to 50,000+ hosts
- Enterprise – Ideal for organizations that want to deploy on-premises. It starts at 300 hosts and scales up to 50,000+ hosts.
Reach out to the
sales team for pricing.
Download: Click here for a free trial.
dbWatch is an advanced database monitoring tool that helps you stay on top of the performance of all your databases and sends notifications in real-time to alert you to any specific operation.
Below are some of the things that dbWatch can do for you.
- Monitors many types of databases such as SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, MariaDB, and more
- Scales well to meet your business needs
- Works well across cloud, on-premises, and hybrid environments
- Automates routine monitoring
- Optimizes the use of available resources
- Enhances the productivity of your DBAs
- Proactively monitors databases to manage risks better
- Analyzes the problem and points to the root-cause
- Reduces cost and complexity
- Automates processes and tasks
- Monitors all instances in a single view
- Drills down through the metrics to check for admin issues
- Creates custom dashboards and reports
- Supports Active Directory and Kerberos
- Allows role-based access
Pricing There are two editions offered by dbWatch.
- Enterprise edition – $490/instance and a minimum of 10 instances
- dbWatch Control Center – $550/instance and a minimum of 10 instances
The above licensing cost is for a year.
Download: Click here for a free trial.
7. Spiceworks SQL Server Monitoring
SQL Server monitoring tool from Spiceworks is a simplified and efficient way to keep track of the health and performance of your SQL server, so you can detect and fix issues before they impact the end-users.
Some of the salient features of this tool are as follows.
- Automatically collects metrics from the database to analyze its health and performance
- Creates multiple widgets for comprehensive monitoring
- Allows you to monitor the SQL server size, connection, speed, and more
- Runs health checks every minute to ensure that the information is up-to-date
- Creates custom charts and graphs for a visual feel
- Dashboards are highly customizable to meet your personal preferences
Pricing 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download Spiceworks SQL monitoring tool.
8. SQL Power Tools
SQL Power Tools is an intelligent and robust solution that analyzes all SQL queries 24X7 to ensure that your database is safe at all times. Plus, it is a zero-impact database monitoring solution that significantly adds to its overall credibility.
Here’s a look at what SQL Power Tools can do for you.
- Protects sensitive information such as credit cards, government IDs, and more
- Works well on Informix, MariaDB, SWL, Oracle, MySQL, and Sybase
- Complies with GDPR
- Analyzes 100% of SQL activity in real-time o identify problems
- Identifies and shuts down hackers and rogues
- Runs non-intrusively on a proxy server and even on a network tap
- No false-positive data breach alerts are sent
- Comes with dashboards and heatmaps to evaluate the performance
- Sends email alerts when SQL response time is degraded
- Allows you to filter activity over any period
- Reports the average response time every X seconds, where you can configure the X value
- Installs quickly using the product setup wizard
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here for a free trial.
To conclude, database monitoring tools are an essential part of your IT toolkit as they stay on top of the health and performance of your databases at all times. Also, their constant monitoring ensures that even the smallest of anomalies are detected, so they can be fixed before it impacts the larger organization or the end-users. Some of them even come with advanced tools for online security.
The tools we have described in this article are some of the most comprehensive ones available in the market today. We hope such a detailed feature description comes in handy to zero in on the tool that best fits your needs.