Citrix ShareFile carries a big name with a strong reputation for some of the best workspace, remote access, and virtualization software. But still, when it comes to cloud-based Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing (EFSS) solutions, the market is quite unforgiving. Citrix ShareFile falls short of its competition as it lacks advanced collaboration features, workflow management, and in-browser editing.
In this article, we’ll go through the best 10 Citrix ShareFile alternatives that can help you fulfill this gap and provide different levels of file sharing, synchronization, and storage.
The 10 Best Citrix ShareFile Alternatives
Citrix ShareFile is an EFSS solution. Its security, file-sharing options, integration to other cloud storage platforms, and competitive pricing make CitrixShareFile stand out.
Alternatives to Citrix ShareFile must at least be able to transfer, sync, and store files and documents securely. Citrix ShareFile gives fierce competition with highlights such as limitless storage, large files support, powerful Office 365 integration, e-signatures binding, bank-level encryption capabilities, etc.
The following alternatives to Citrix ShareFile offer the same basic functionality as Citrix ShareFile but with a different feature-set, integrations and price.
- SolarWinds Serv-U MFT – FREE TRIAL The best on-premise (Windows or Linux server) file transfer application for secure, automatic, and centralized file shares. Get a 14-day free trial.
- Files.com A SaaS-based file transfer, storage, sharing, and collaboration solution. It integrates with FTP, SFTP, FTPS, WebDAV, popular cloud providers, and on-premise storage.
- Sync Teams Sync is a security-centric online file sharing, sync, storage, and collaboration platform. Sync provides high-grade encryption with zero knowledge.
- Egnyte Business One of the best file sharing, collaboration, and storage solutions with a strong focus on security and governance.
- Microsoft OneDrive Business Although Citrix Share File integrates with Office 365, nothing beats One Drive Business for organizations running Microsoft. One Drive Business is a cloud service for storage, protection, sharing, and access to all your files.
- Google Workspace for Business Former G Suite, Google Workspace provides a breadth of popular Google tools for communication, storage, productivity, and collaboration.
- Dropbox Business A long-time leader in cloud-based file storage and sharing, Dropbox now also offers file synchronization, backup and restore, and more.
- Box Business A cloud-based collaboration, file-sharing, and storage solution with impressive security, compliance, and governance features.
- Zoho WorkDrive A remarkable file-sharing and synchronization newcomer with the most affordable pricing.
- pCloud for Business An affordable personal cloud space with storage, sharing, and collaboration capabilities, with a strong focus on security.
Serv-U Managed File Transfer Server (MFT) is a file-transfer application designed for secure, automatic, centralized, and fast file sharing. With Serv-U MFT, you can manage all file transfers remotely and automate all your transfer operations (such as sending, running software, or deleting files) from a central web UI. Serv-U MFT’s UI comes with drag-and-drop functionality.
- File transferring and folder syncing, anywhere and from any device
- Transfer and encrypt large files up to 3GB
- Configure file-sharing permissions at the user, group, or domain level
- Provide security requirements for cryptographic modules with FIPS140
- Meet regulatory compliance (data-in-transit) for PCI DSS, HIPAA, FISMA, and SOX
- Integrate with NAS/SAN, external database servers, and file storage
- Enable peer-to-peer sharing between web and mobile
Serv-U MFT is a self-hosted solution. It is deployed on your on-premises (on Windows or Linux servers) with Serv-U MFT Server— a secure FTP server software that supports FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and HTTPS. The solution works with the Web Client Pro, FTP Voyager JV web client, and mobile apps. Serv-U MFT supports IP4 and IPv6 networks.
Price: Starts at $3,192 for one server with unlimited concurrent sessions. The license is a one-time payment (no monthly charges) and includes one year of annual maintenance. For more, get a quote.
Download: Click here to download your Serv-U Managed File Transfer Server (MFT) fully functional 14-day free trial today.
Files.com is a SaaS-based file transfer, sharing, storage, and collaboration solution. It uses high-speed servers (100Gbit) distributed across seven worldwide regions and desktop, mobile, and on-premises client applications to provide high-performance file transfers. Files.com has been considered on the Top 50 Infrastructure Products for Best Software Awards 2022.
- Use automation rules and templates to build sophisticated workflows
- Share links and inbound file inboxes or request files internally or externally
- Files.com supports large files up to 5TB
- MS Office Cloud Storage partner. Use MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint from the Files.com site
- Industry-leading security with 2FA, encryption (at rest and on-transit), and configurable security settings
Files.com is known for being a fantastic integration platform. All Files.com apps work with file transfer mechanisms such as FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV, with popular third-party cloud services such as Amazon S3, Azure, Google Cloud, Box, Dropbox, Wasabi, or with any third-party on-premises file server. With Files.com, you can combine integrations with sync, push, pull, or mount on any cloud or server.
Pricing Plans: Starter, Power, and Premier. Click here to request pricing.
Free Trial: Subscribe to try Files.com Premier free for seven days.
3. Sync Teams
Sync is a secure online file sharing, sync, storage, and collaboration platform. The Sync platform is available as a cloud-based service, an on-premises deployment, or through mobile apps for Android and iOS-based devices.
- Daily versioning. Sync offers automatic data backup and recovery
- Share files via a custom-branded portal with your logo on display
- Sync Teams offers unlimited storage, custom branding, and advanced sharing
- Admin tools (Administrator, Management, and Billing) to manage the team
- Access control. Set expiry dates, password policies, upload capability, email notifications, and more
Sync is security-focused. Out-of-the-box, it comes with high-grade (256-bit AES) encryption to protect your data in transit and in-store (with zero-knowledge encryption). In addition, file-sharing admins can create centralized folders for sharing and collaboration and configure them with fine-grain permissions. One of the disadvantages of Sync is that its top security level limits the number of third-party integrations.
Pricing Plans: Free, Solo Basic ($8/month), Solo Professional ($20/month), Teams Standard ($5/user/month), Teams Unlimited ($15/user/month), and Enterprise (Contact Sync sales team). All plans are billed annually.
Free Sync: Download free Sync and get five GB of secure storage and basic sharing.
4. Egnyte Business
Egnyte is an all-in-one security and governance platform that helps you manage and control all your content. It comes with a centralized control panel to manage and visualize all your content stored on-premises, on any app, or in the cloud. Egnyte has been recognized on the G2 platform as a leader in the following areas: cloud-content collaboration, data-center security, and data governance in Winter 2021.
- Seamless collaboration. Share files and collaborate in real-time
- Manage large data volumes while reducing complexities and mitigating risks
- Detect ransomware and other abnormal behavior
- Content Intelligence Engine powered by Machine Learning (ML)
- Automate and simplify compliance programs and run comprehensive audit reports
- Integrate to applications such as MS Office 365, Google Workspace, Slack, and more
Egnyte was designed to provide online storage and collaboration for all types and sizes of businesses. The platform also protects your content from risks such as accidental deletion, ransomware, data exfiltration, privacy compliance, and more.
Pricing Plans: Business ($20/User/Month paid annually). To get the price for Enterprise Lite and Enterprise, contact the Egnyte sales team.
Trial: Register for a 15-day free trial.
5. Microsoft OneDrive Business
Microsoft OneDrive is a cloud service that lets you store, protect, share, and access all your files from anywhere and any device. OneDrive Business is one of the favorite cloud storage and file-sharing solutions because it combines robust collaboration features, advanced security, cross-platform support, and even AI capabilities.
- Highly collaborative cloud (Microsoft)
- Cloud storage, syncing, and backup
- Integration to the entire Microsoft 365 suite
- Intelligent functionalities with ML-based Microsoft Graph and Delve
- It helps with HIPAA and ISO 27001 compliance
Without a doubt, one Drive Business should be the number one choice for Microsoft-centered businesses. This solution is ideal for SMBs who have already invested in Microsoft solutions, as it integrates seamlessly to MS Office 365, Exchange, or Microsoft Teams. But still, you can also use OneDrive as a standalone file-sharing and cloud storage solution. Data at transit is encrypted with SSL and data at rest with AES 256-bit encryption keys. Keys are stored and managed in SharePoint Content Database (no zero-knowledge).
Pricing Plans: OneDrive for Business Plan 1 ($5.00 user/month), Plan 2 ($10.00 user/month), Microsoft 365 Business Basic ($6.00 user/month), and Microsoft 365 Business Standard ($12.50 user/month).
Register to try Microsoft 365 Business Basic free for one month.
6. Google Workspace for Business
Google Workspace (Former G Suite) is a bundle of storage, communication, productivity, and collaboration applications designed for businesses and organizations. The set of tools comes with Google Drive for storage, communications apps such as Gmail, Google Calendar, Chat, Meet, and Google collaboration tools, including Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. While most of these Google services are available on Google free tier, the Workspace Business includes premium features such as more space, custom email, advanced settings, security, and administrative tools.
For instance, Google Workspace comes with an admin panel to manage all Google Workspace accounts, services, or security settings. The admin can create security configurations and apply them to specific groups of people (or organizational units). The admin can also configure strict policies for businesses that deal with sensitive data.
- Custom domain email for business
- From 30GBs to 2TBs, 5TBs, to unlimited Google Drive storage
- 24/7 phone and email support
- Large number (+150) participants for video meetings and recording
- Jamboard interactive whiteboard
- Vault for data retention and eDiscovery
- Virtual phone system with Voice and Voice hardware
Pricing Plans: Google Workspace Business Starter ($6/user/month) Business Standard ($12/user/month), and Business Plus ($18/user/month).
Register to try any Google Workspace for business for free for 14 days.
7. Dropbox Business
Dropbox is an all-in-one cloud-based workspace for content and workflows. Aside from cloud-based file storage and sharing, Dropbox also offers file synchronization, backup & restore private cloud, and client software.
- Use Dropbox Transfer to send large files (up to 100GBs)
- Mobile offline folders and remote account wipe support
- Add e-signatures to documents with HelloSign
- Create document watermarks
- Recover (deleted or changed) Dropbox files within 180 days
- 256-bit AES and SSL/TLS encryption
- Advanced real-time document analytics
Although Dropbox has received some criticism about its privacy and security, as it has been a long-time player and does not provide zero-knowledge encryption, it has still been ranked #1 overall on G2’s Global Top 100 Best Software Companies list for 2020. Dropbox has also been recognized in several other categories. As of 2022, Dropbox Teams has improved. It provides advanced admin, audit, security, and integration capabilities.
Pricing Plans: Professional (US$16.58/month), Professional + eSign (US$24.99/month), Standard, (US$12.50/user/month) Standard+DocSend (US$50/user/month), Advanced (US$20/user/month).
Trial: Try Dropbox Business Professional for free (for unlimited time).
8. Box Business
Box is a software developer of cloud-based content management, collaboration, and file-sharing software. The Box platform allows you to store and manage files from an online folder system using any device. In addition, Box also lets you share, sync, collaborate on documents, apply workflows, and run security and governance policies.
- Classification-based security controls and intelligent threat detection
- Streamline governance with flexible retention schedules and disposition management
- Independent management and control of your encryption keys
- Help comply with GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, and FINRA regulations
- Collaborate on content and work on cloud-stored files from your desktop
- Automate workflow processes with Box Relay
- Integrate to apps such as Office 365, Google Workspaces, DocuSign, and more
Box Business features an impressive feature-set to improve security, compliance, collaboration, and workflows. One feature that stands out in this set is its unlimited storage and users on all its plans (except the most basic ones). One of the shortcomings of Box Business is that it lacks online editing functionalities.
Pricing Plans: Business (US$15/user/month), Business Plus (US$25/user/month), Enterprise, (US$35/user/month) Enterprise (contact Box).
Free trial: Register to start your Box business free trial today.
9. Zoho WorkDrive
Zoho WorkDrive is secure cloud-based file storage, management, and collaboration solution suitable for everybody, from individuals, teams, SMBs, and enterprises. Zoho WorkDrive is one of the most remarkable services concerning its fantastic collaboration, integrations, and administration features— all for an affordable price. Plus, the platform meets industry-specific standards such as ISO 27001 and SOC 2 Type II to ensure data security.
- Assign role-based access, manage deleted files, and get notifications on Team Folders
- Develop and collaborate on Zoho’s office suite, including Writer, Sheet, and Show
- Brand new WorkDrive 3.0 for enhanced collaboration
- The tool supports more than 220 different file formats
- Access WorkDrive apps such as Desktop Sync, TrueSync, WorkDrive mobile apps, and WorkDrive Genie Beta, and more
Zoho WorkDrive allows your team to share an online space (Tem Folders) where they can store, collaborate, and manage their files. As an admin, you can get a holistic view of what’s happening around your team members, and manage access, file structure, and security. In addition, you can also get customizable reports, including file access statistics, activity, and audit trails.
Pricing Plans: Starter ($2.5/user/month), Teams ($4.5/user/month), and Business ($9/user/month). All plans are billed annually.
Register to start a 14-days free trial.
10. pCloud for Business
pCloud is designed to be a personal cloud space where users can store, share, and collaborate on files and folders. The product features pCloud Drive, cloud storage that allows you to sync your files between your desktop, mobile, or the web. pCloud is based in Switzerland, which means your data is fully protected by strict DPA regulations. Plus, pCloud also features pCloud Crypto and encryption tool to protect your private files.
- Manage and access all your files via the web, desktop, or mobile
- Share files through the pCloud app. Invite, share links, request files, and more
- Protect your data-in-transit with TLS/SSL encryption and use pCloud Crypto to protect data-at-rest
- Data synchronization and backup to protect your files
- File versioning to find, preview, and restore previous versions
- Digital asset management software stores, manages, and shares your assets with branding
pCloud’s application is supported by the most popular devices and platforms, including macOS, Windows, Linux distributions, iOS, and Android mobile devices. The pCloud desktop app installs on a computer creates a secure virtual drive that extends the local storage space. Any change in the folder or file is quickly synchronized with other computers or phones.
Pricing Plans: pCloud Business ($7.99/user/month), yearly subscription.
Register to try pCloud Business for free for 30 days
Citrix ShareFile Alternatives: Final Verdict
The Citrix ShareFile alternatives shown in this article give fierce competition to Citrix ShareFile. For instance, tools such as SolarWinds Serv-U MFT, Files.com, and Sync.com provide similar basic capabilities as Citrix ShareFile in terms of file-sharing and synchronization but with a twist in terms of security and integrations. Other tools like Microsoft One and Google Workspace are quite popular and can also be used alternatively, but both won’t integrate easily with other tools and won’t offer data protection. pCloud and Zoho Workspace are affordable alternatives with similar capabilities.