Today, cloud security has become a crucial topic of discussion. There are many companies that install expensive software or implement attack programs to safeguard their sensitive information.
Despite implementing various defensive security systems and attack programs, many IT teams do not find their cybersecurity strategy comprehensive enough to protect the company from unwanted threats. Also, most of the time, the IT teams don’t know how to assess the damage or find how effective the security system is as they have limited capabilities.
Experts might conduct security audits, penetration testing, red team testing, or follow other approaches. But, getting an overall picture of the organization’s security is a hard task as these approaches have certain limitations.
To fill up the requirement, companies have shifted to a new tool that helps vendors test a network’s cyber defense. The popular tool is referred to as Breach and Attack Simulation (BAS). The BAS tools help protect the crucial data by spotting vulnerabilities in the security environment and offering prioritized remediation guidance.
What is Breach and Attack Simulation?
BAS tools are powerful tools that most companies incorporate to test IT security efforts, continuously simulate attacks, and run scenarios. These tools help determine if the selected security measures or strategies are effective and serve the main purpose.
The tools update businesses whether they are strong enough to withstand increasingly sophisticated attacks. Also, it helps discover weak spots or security gaps with continuous testing of the enterprise network.
Despite modern security controls, many organizations still face attacks. Hackers create hidden paths to enter your system and breach the data. With the help of BAS tools, companies can discover these hidden paths to your critical assets and remediate security gaps.
Further, calculate the overall risk score, prioritize actionable remediation insights, and analyze the performance with these tools.
Breach and Attack Simulation has now become a popular IT security technology that helps spot vulnerabilities automatically and performs penetration testing. Also, it aids businesses to test existing security components and provide useful insights. There are many reasons and benefits why most companies choose BAS tools over other security measures:
- Enables businesses to understand the stages of attack events
- Continuous simulation of cyber attacks
- Measure deployed security control
- Test threat hunting
- Validate security posture
- Adds more visibility to the network
- Offers automation and continuous monitoring of attackers
- Simulate malware attacks on endpoints that move laterally
- Identify vulnerabilities and prioritize remediation steps
- Alert on risks to the management
- Faster planning of security investments
- Provides continuous coverage by merging red and blue team techniques
- Risk management
- Provide awareness to attack paths
- Discover faults responsible for exposing critical assets
How to Select the Best Breach and Attack Simulation Tools?
Follow the below-listed steps to choose the best BAS Tools:
1. Understand the Level of Expertise
Before commencing the search for the right BAS tool for your organization, it is a must to analyze your ability to manage the popular tools. If you have an experienced team that can handle these tools, we recommend avoiding considering the easy-to-use feature.
Rather, you must switch to tools like Infection Monkey as they are open-source and do not require enough technical support. If your IT team lacks experience and is looking for an easy-to-use BAS tool, go with SafeBreach or Picus.
2. Learn about your Network Scenario complexities
BAS tools with a simple layout can deliver scanning results as per your expectation.
However, there are a few BAS tools with significant complexities that may expose your network to unusual vulnerabilities. Thus, when looking for a BAS tool, make sure to measure its complexity level for the network scenarios.
From the below list, AttackIQ provides maximum complex scenarios and can run in a short period. On the other hand, XM Cyber and Cymulate can run extreme scenarios.
3. Get suggestions and advice on how to fix problems
Do you think your team needs help deciphering the results of the scenario scans? If not, choose from any of the below-listed BAS tools. However, if you need suggestions on how to fix or remediate problems, you can pick between Rapid7 products or Cymulate.
You can also go with Infection Monkey if need some basic information about vulnerabilities on the network.
4. Benefit of Constant Updates
Lastly, think about your concern related to a cyber security failure or constant attacks. If you believe that your network will not be able to handle newly discovered attacks, choose the BAS tool from the shared list to help you with scenarios.
If you want a tool that offers constant updates related to the new scenarios, go for AttackIQ or SafeBreach.
The Best BAS Tools
By implementing BAS tools on the network, users add more security to their business data. Hackers are always on a move and make every attempt to put your security measures to test.
However, with the help of BAS tools, you can monitor the attacker’s move, make better decisions, and identify misconfigurations beforehand. Follow some of the below-listed best BAS tools that will allow you to discover weak spots or security gaps in advance. Avoid letting hackers take advantage of your weak spots with these powerful BAS tools.
AttackIQ is a leading breach and attack simulation platform that provides real-time visibility and helps discover security gaps, identify misconfigurations, and prioritize remediation strategies. All you require is to deploy test point agents and run scenarios to get real-time insights on how the system responds to the emerging threats.
- AttackIQ has an easy-to-use interface
- Supports MITRE ATT&CK framework
- Conducts threat-informed defense operations
- Real-time visibility of security posture
- Validates security controls
- Maps regulatory and compliance controls
- Performs continuous test
- Automated Security Validation
- Performs Threat-Informed Operations
- Seamless integration
- Quick identification of misconfigurations and prioritizes remediation
- It hardly takes time to set up and implement AttackIQ
- Offers real-time insights
- Supports Windows, Linux, OSX platforms
- Compatible with cloud or on-premises environment
- AttackIQ easily scales up
- Continuously generates new scenarios as per the emerging threats
- Built-in scenario inventory
- Automated reporting features
- Dedicated Slack channel
Most companies trust the AttackIQ BAS tool as it helps test the security system’s effectiveness. It has an easy-to-use interface that allows administrators to run multiple tests continuously in a short period.
It is an agent-based solution compatible with Windows, Linux, and OSX platforms. Also, the users can deploy the BAS tool on-premises or in the cloud environment.
AttackIQ can run complex scenarios in an extremely safe manner. It also has a strong research team to work on new security scenarios.
Website Link: https://attackiq.com/get-a-demo/
Cymulate is a popular breach and attack simulation platform that automatically identifies security gaps and tests its strength by exposing itself to real-life attacks. It also simulates attacks in prescheduled intervals and generates insightful reports for analysis and recommendations.
- End-to-end cyber-risk management
- Prioritize mitigation
- Security Posture Visibility
- Quick installation features
- Offers actionable insights
- Advanced attack campaigns
- Covers the entire kill-chain
- Assessment Management
- Security Auditing
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Supports Third-Party Integrations
- Removes false positives
- Offers continuous testing and recommendations
- Offers instant threat alerts
- IOC Verification
- Fully automated and customizable BAS tool
- Data Exfiltration
- Lateral Movement
- Simulate malicious inbound traffic
- Runs customized phishing campaigns
Cymulate is the best choice if you want to run with the BAS tool in a short period. It is a SaaS-based solution that optimizes security posture and makes efforts to protect business-critical assets from threats or attacks at all times. Users can monitor and track thousands of attack simulations with the help of its exclusive features.
It covers the entire kill chain and runs in the background without affecting or slowing down business operations. Many small businesses and large enterprises trust Cymulate as it has an easy-to-use interface. Also, it is fast and easy to deploy a BAS tool that requires minimal investments. Its exclusive features enable businesses to stay ahead of potential cyberattacks.
Website Link: https://cymulate.com/free-trial/
SafeBreach is one of the first and oldest BAS tools introduced to the market. The tool runs scenarios for the latest attacks that originated inside or outside the organization. Further, it helps identify security gaps and prioritizes them as per the security issues.
- Ability to simulate 15,000+ attacks
- SafeBreach is an easy to install BAS tool
- Generates quality reports in minutes
- Assess network risk
- Strong customer base
- Compatible with all cloud and endpoint networks
- Offers constant updates
- Lateral movement
- Identifies uncovered security gaps
- Prioritizes threats and vulnerabilities
- SafeBreach is easy to deploy and integrate
- Continuous validation of security controls
If you are looking for a BAS tool that has been in the market for a long as built a strong trust among customers, we recommend SafeBreach. It can simulate 15000+ attacks and provides regular updates to users.
Also, it is quite easy to install, deploy, and integrate SafeBreach. With the help of its insightful, actionable reports, administrators can quantify business risk and prioritize investments in network security.
It analyzes the system from a hacker’s perspective and uses a wide range of breach methods to spot weaknesses in an organization’s cyber defense system.
Website Link: https://www.safebreach.com/request-a-demo/
CyCognito is a leading cloud-based vulnerability management BAS tool that got introduced in 2017. The main purpose of introducing CyCognito was to help businesses monitor and detect advanced threats. Further, eliminate and remediate critical security risks across enterprise assets.
- CyCognito helps detect and prioritize risks faster
- Provides continuous attack surface visibility
- Attack Surface Management
- Compatible with cloud, on-premises, and other environments
- Maps the vulnerable assets
- Comprises workflow automation capabilities
- Vulnerability Management and Scanning
- Advanced analytics tools
- Security Frameworks & Compliance
- CyCognito remediates faster
With the help of CyCognito, administrators can automate offensive cybersecurity operations, monitor all risks generated by the attackers, and focus on how to fix the security gaps. Get more clarity on how attackers view your organization and break in using CyCognito in-built features.
Businesses that trust CyCognito can scan up to 300% more assets than existed on the network. Also, it enables administrators to define risk categories and prepare for advanced attacks.
Website Link: https://www.cycognito.com/
5. DXC Technology
More than 70+ countries use DXC Technology tailored with high-class security solutions for digital businesses. DXC Technology was introduced with various in-built features to reduce risks and help businesses stay ahead of attackers. It provides threat intelligence feeds, advisory services, monitoring and incident response, etc.
- Manages incident response and threats
- OT and IoT security
- Threat intelligence feeds
- Automated security services
- Managed SIEM
- Protect data with a Zero Trust strategy
- Offer full visibility to the network
- Advanced threat protection
- Multifactor authentication
- Privileged account management
- Cyber Defense services
Secure your applications and data with the amazing BAS tool that offers advanced threat protection. It also provides full visibility to the networks using its cyber defense services and protects critical assets from breaches.
The popular tool also encourages users to verify their digital identities and adopt multifactor authentication features to secure data and services. Administrators can further track attackers, optimize data architectures, and secure information across public, private, and hybrid clouds.
Website Link: https://dxc.com/us/en/services/security
Rapid7 is a best-in-class solution with various products that help detect suspicious behavior, spot critical threats and remediate quickly. It is one of the best BAS tools that scans the entire network and provides detailed reports explaining the network vulnerabilities.
- Offer real-time reporting
- Customizable and easy-to-use dashboard
- Attack surface monitoring
- Universal translator to uncover vulnerabilities
- Offers unparalleled attacker insights
- Offers Full visibility
- Helps prioritize vulnerabilities and misconfigurations
- Supports 95+ Attack Types and practices to address issues
- Attack Replay
- Vulnerability risk management
- Scans multiple environments simultaneously
- Immediate feedback
- Identifies external threats
The software also provides recommendations related to fixing problems. One can easily identify and remediate external threats using Rapid7 products. Its in-built features enable businesses to create a smooth path and minimize the compliance challenge. Further, the solution helps discover the weak spots in all environments.
With its insightful data and reports, administrators get full visibility into the network and can prioritize vulnerabilities and misconfigurations just like the attackers. It supports the cloud-SIEM and XDR approach to create more signals and less noise.
Another advantage of Rapid7 is it supports orchestration and automation features that help spot threats and respond faster.
Website Link: https://www.rapid7.com/products/insightvm/demo/
7. Infection Monkey
Infection Monkey is a free, open-source security tool that most IT teams use to test network adherence to a zero-trust framework. It is an easy to deploy, secure, and stable tool with an intuitive user interface. The purpose to design Infection Monkey was to help organizations discover and map the attacker’s move.
- Infection Monkey is free, open-source software
- Intuituve user interface
- Better reporting features
- Compatible with on-premises, containers, and cloud-based environments
- Allows continuous testing of network security
- Infection Monkey is developed under the GPL v3 license
- Analysis and in-depth testing
- Visualizes and maps the attacker moves
- Infection Monkey is scalable and easy to deploy
- Automates attack simulation without impacting network operations
- Generates audit report
- Supports installation on Debian, Windows, and Docker
- low CPU and footprint memory
Infection Monkey has become a notable open-source software over the years. It is trusted by large organizations as it helps them discover weaknesses in their on-premises and cloud-based environments. Further, it supports a wide range of MITRE ATT&CK techniques for testing.
Another advantage of choosing open-source software is it helps generate strong actionable reports. With the help of these insightful reports, users can identify exact machines carrying vulnerabilities. Also, it includes recommendations on how to protect the network from cybercriminals.
Website Link: https://www.guardicore.com/infectionmonkey/
Picus has been in the market for nearly a decade and is one of the great BAS tools. It provides real-time data on network vulnerabilities and offers immediate feedback. The product is specifically designed for cybersecurity professionals to analyze and detect threats before the attacker makes a move.
- Provides immediate feedback
- Real-time network vulnerabilities
- Picus offers quick installation and is easy to run.
- Provides Insightful reports focuses on the vulnerable areas of a network
- Offers continuous and up-to-date attack scenarios
- Supports 100+ APT and Malware Scenarios
- Offers Endpoint Security
- Log & alert gaps discovery
- Pinpointed log sources
- Activity Monitoring
- Threat Response
- Policy Management
- Supports advanced useability and filtering features
Another reason why most vendors trust Picus security over other tools is it hardly takes any time to install and is highly flexible. Unlike other BAS tools, Picus runs simulations within a short period. Also, Picus is easy to use with exclusive reporting tools and can manage complex simulations.
As one of the oldest BAS tools, Picus security has a strong customer base and offers continuous and up-to-date attack scenarios and simulations. Another benefit of using Picus is it helps discover log and alert gaps.
Website Link: https://www.picussecurity.com/request-demo-integrations
9. XM Cyber
XM Cyber is another powerful breach and attack simulation tool launched in 2016 that automatically runs attack simulation processes in the background and discovers attacks before they happen. It uses Attack Path Management features to monitor the hybrid network and spot attackers.
- Offers end-to-end network scanning
- Discovers vulnerabilities and suggests remediation efforts
- Continuously simulates attacks
- patch management
- Security Posture Visibility
- Users can view all critical attack paths
- Supports advanced analytics features
- Scalable and easy to deploy regardless of location
- attack graph
- Offers faster remediation
Formerly known as HaXM, the powerful tool provides end-to-end scanning of the networks and operates continuously without affecting your network performance.
With the help of XM Cyber, users can manually select attack targets and observe the simulations. Also, it helps uncover all the hidden attack paths across different network environments and reduces the chances of internal attacks. It supports various advanced analytics tools that pinpoint locations to target for disrupting attack paths.
Further, the tool uses the attacker’s perspective and offers advice on remediation efforts.
XM Cyber is a highly scalable and easy to deploy BAS tool that offers real-time visibility and allows users to spot hidden connections leading a path to put all your critical assets at risk.
Website Link: https://info.xmcyber.com/free-trial
Data breach and threat growth are a few common lasting issues that most businesses face within cybersecurity. On one end, where growth in cloud computing has improved scalability and flexibility, it has also increased the risk factors. Nowadays, managing risk in a hybrid environment is quite challenging.
A large number of malware and attackers run on clouds and networks daily. To fix it and maintain robust organizational security, many companies have launched malware programs in the past. However, to check how effective is the security system, one must switch to breach and attack simulation (BAS) platforms.
These platforms provide continuous monitoring and automated testing features. However, selecting the best one is the key.
Remember each BAS tool has its own feature and purpose. The only way to find the right tool for your organization is to select the BAS tool on the basis of its core features.
A perfect BAS solution enables organizations to detect misconfigurations, identify security gaps, and simulate attacks in the cloud. It must have the capability to identify gaps and prevent them in hybrid environments. The right BAS tool will help assess their risk posture and understand how attackers enter the on-premises devices or access the cloud data.
Instead of assessing the risk associated with cloud and on-premises risks separately, it is best to invest in a tool that is compatible with all environments. It also helps understand how each environment affects the other.
Attackers often create hidden paths to run into the system. It is best to find a tool that can simulate Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs), test security controls, and discover attack pathways.
Lastly, check if the above-listed BAS tool offers prioritized remediation of security gaps and validates security controls. If a tool comprises most of the above-listed core features, select it as it will provide your organization with better risk assessment and protection. Go through the above list of BAS tools, compare their features, and select the one as per your budget and organizational security requirement.