It is always important to stay on top of what you own, its performance, and possibly even the cost associated with its operations so you can evaluate its use and whether it needs any additional repair or maintenance. This is the crux of asset management and it is the first step towards calculating the cost of ownership of all your assets.
In a corporate environment, assets include everything you own, starting from your office furniture to your computers and servers and everything in between. This asset management is crucial to keep a check on your costs and to boost the overall productivity of your organization.
Here is our list of the best IT Asset Management (ITAM) Software:
- SolarWinds Service Desk – FREE TRIAL A full-service management system that includes an asset manager and incident and project management tools. Installs on Windows Server. Download the 30-day free trial.
- SecPod SanerNow – FREE TRIAL A package that combines asset management with security monitoring and a patch manager. This is a cloud-based platform. Access the 30-day free trial.
- ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus A comprehensive system asset management package that includes hardware and software inventories. Available for installation on Windows Server and Linux or as a cloud platform.
- ManageEngine AssetExplorer An asset inventory management tool that is available in free and paid versions. Downloads onto Windows Server or Linux.
- Spiceworks IT Asset Management A free, ad-supported asset tracker that integrates with the Spiceworks Help Desk package. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- LanSweeper A system scanner that generates hardware and software inventories and continuously monitors assets. Available for Windows and Windows Server.
- Kaseya VSA A package for managed service providers that tracks and monitors all hardware and software on a client’s site. This is a cloud platform.
- SysAid An ITIL-based system management package that includes ITSM, Help Desk, and Service Desk functions. This is a cloud platform.
- Network Inventory Advisor A monitoring system that discovers all hardware connected to a network and then scans each for installed software. Runs on Windows.
- OpenAudIT by FirstWave An open-source asset discovery and logging service that is available in free and paid versions. Runs on Windows Server and Linux.
Typically, asset management includes the documentation of all your physical assets, their performance at any given time, their operating costs, contractual obligations, and any other pertinent information. Since a company can own many assets, it is impossible to manually document every software or hardware and to stay on top of their performance.
This is where asset management software comes into play. This is a platform that acts as a central repository to store all information related to your assets, so you or any other authorized employee can have complete control over its performance and cost.
Before we go into the best asset management tools, let’s take a brief look at the benefits of asset management.
Benefits of IT Asset Management Tools
Here are some of the most important benefits of asset management.
- Reduced costs
- Better control
- Capacity planning
- Improved productivity, efficiency, and customer service
- Saves time and energy for employees
- Eliminates the possibility of human errors
Now that you know what asset management can bring to your business, let’s look at a few top asset management software that can help you to leverage these benefits.
Let’s take a detailed look into each of these tools, so you can make an informed choice when it comes to managing your company’s assets.
Here’s the Best IT Asset Management Software & Tools:
SolarWinds Service Desk is an IT Service Management solution from the renowned SolarWinds, a company known for its top-of-the-line monitoring products. This tool combines many different aspects of asset management and presents it in a single location for complete control and visibility.
- Streamlines and organizes tickets from many media
- Supports automated rules for faster resolution
- Offers relevant solutions and related articles
- Consolidates all assets to give you better control and to identify areas for cost reduction
- Automatically detects risks on employees’ computers
- Expedites ticket resolutions by gathering and presenting each asset’s incidence history.
- Improves employee productivity
- Presents customization options
- Provides 24/7 access
- Groups similar incidents
Due to such advanced features, this tool is the overall best asset management software on our list.
Pricing: Contact the sales team to get a custom quote.
Download: Download 30-day Free Trial Here
SecPod SanerNow Asset Management is a cloud-based cyber-hygiene platform that offers system management software and security protection for endpoints. The Asset Manager module is the central repository of gathered system information and it is constantly updated.
The SecPod SanerNow Asset Management system periodically sweeps a network to monitor all of its endpoints. This service is a vulnerability scanner. As a basis of its actions, the scanner logs all of the endpoints that it discovers on the network and passes that information to the Asset Manager.
The Vulnerability Manager is able to scan devices running Windows, macOS, and Linux and draws from a database of over 130,000 of the most up to date patches and firmware updates. After checking on the physical properties of each device, it examines the operating system, noting versions, and settings. All of these pieces of information get written to the Asset Inventory. The scanner then goes on to check on all of the software packages installed on each device and the results of that examination go to the Asset Manager for the creation of a Software Inventory.
The vulnerability scan frequency can be set by the administrator with a 5-minute cycle possible. Each pass updates the asset and software inventories.
- Automatically created and constantly updated
- Manages an asset inventor and a software inventory
- Records software license usage
- Documents a system for constant availability monitoring
- Highlights poor setup that creates system vulnerabilities
- Supports data privacy standards compliance
Price: The SecPod SanerNow Asset Management package is charged for by subscription. However, SecPod doesn’t publish is price list.
For more information on pricing, request a quote.
Download: Get a fully functional 30-day free trial of SecPod SanerNow to fully assess the platform.
3. ServiceDesk Plus
ServiceDesk Plus from ManageEngine gives you a complete overview of your hardware and software inventory and assets from the ground up.
They have a great layout and GUI for scanning and tracking your hardware and software inventory into a neat dashboard, as seen above.
You can scan all Windows, Linux, Mac OsX devices and get information about the software installed on those machines to build out your inventory systems.
Features of ServiceDesk Plus include:
- Asset Tracking of both hardware and Software
- Agent & Agentless Scanning
- Network, Probe & Bar Code scanning
- Software License/Serial Key management along with Upgrade paths
- Asset Life Cycle timelines as well as depreciation schedules
- Loan Assets to End users
- Standardized and Custom Reporting features
- CMBD features and more!
4. ManageEngine AssetExplorer
AssetExplorer from ManageEngine is a web-based tool for asset management that makes it easy to monitor and manage assets from the beginning to end.
Features: Some of the key features of this asset management tool are:
- Monitors the complete asset lifecycle
- Automatically discovers all hardware and software in your network.
- Provides critical insights based on history, CI information, relationships, and more.
- Makes it possible to control assets remotely
- Stays compliant with regulatory standards and license agreements
- Helps in root-cause analysis
- Generates detailed reports.
- Comes with a well-developed app for Android and iOS.
- Offers the flexibility to schedule reports and get them delivered to your inbox.
With such unique features and a highly user-friendly interface, AssetExplorer is our Top Rates asset management tool.
Pricing: The cost depends on the number of assets used. Here is a breakdown of the costs.
- 250 assets – $955
- 5000 assets – $1,795
- 1000 assets – $2,995
- 1500 assets – $4,195
- 2000 assets – $4,795
- 3000 assets – $7,195
- 5000 assets – $9,595
- 10,000 assets – $11,995
Download: You can download a trial version here.
5. Spiceworks IT Asset Management
Spiceworks IT asset management tool is a free tool that integrates with your help desk and network to give you complete control over your software and hardware assets. The best part is this tool is 100% free.
Features: The key features of this tool are:
- Manages all your hardware and software inventory
- Keeps track of all software licenses to help with compliance and to reduce unwanted licensing costs.
- Reins in cloud services as well
- Creates extensive reports on assets, inventory, and even network metrics.
Due to these wide-ranging features, this is our pick for the best free asset management software.
Pricing: 100% FREE.
Download: Click here to download this tool.
LanSweeper is a comprehensive tool that helps to build a centralized asset management system to give you total control over the cost of ownership and performance of all your assets.
Features: Here is a look at some of the important features of LanSweeper.
- Discovers any asset in your corporate network without having to install any additional software.
- Works well on all environments
- Provides a single and up-to-date repository for all your assets.
- Creates top-notch analytics from existing data to answer all your questions.
- Increases visibility for your assets.
- Automates recordkeeping and reporting to improve productivity
- Identifies risks, problems, and compliance issues before they become a headache
- Shows unnecessary expenses, so you can cut back on them.
From the above list, it is clear that LanSweeper specializes in automatically discovering your assets and keeping it all together for complete visibility and control. This is why this tool is our best choice for the automatic discovery of your assets.
Pricing: There are two editions – Free and Enterprise. The Free edition is free but supports only a maximum of 100 assets while the Enterprise edition costs 1 EUR per asset per year.
Download: Click here to download the free version.
7. Kaseya VSA
VSA from Kaseya is a remote monitoring and management solution that helps you to manage both endpoints on your infrastructure, so you have complete control over your hardware and software assets.
Features:: The key features of VSA are:
- Unifies network and endpoint management
- Provides a single view of your entire infrastructure with all its assets
- Comes with a dynamic documentation engine that automatically updates your documents, so your employees can have access to the latest information.
- Allows you to create scripts that will solve all critical and labor-intensive problems.
- Ships with pre-built procedures and automation to help with compliance
- Gives the flexibility to add-on more solutions
- Supports a one-click secure access
These features make it easy to proactively manage IT infrastructure remotely, thereby making it ideal for MSPs.
Pricing: Contact the support team for a custom quote.
Download: Click here to download a free trial.
SysAid’s IT Asset Management helps to view, secure, and manage your assets from a single point, so tracking your inventory is easier than ever before.
Features: Some of the important features of SysAid are:
- Quickly discovers the assets in your network.
- Allows users to log a ticket by simply pressing a hotkey, so information about the relevant asset including its screenshot is automatically logged into the system.
- Deploys patches when needed.
- Tracks assets and sends alerts in real-time.
- Imports data into your CMDB
- Supports remote control, license management, supplier catalog, and more.
- Top-notch customer support
Pricing: Click here for a custom quote.
Download: Start your free trial by clicking this link.
9. Network Inventory Advisor (Best in Inventory)
Network Inventory Advisor is a network inventory system that automatically collects relevant data and provides detailed statistics to give you total visibility on the performance and ownership costs of your assets.
- Makes it easy to track installations, software versions, licenses, and services on all computers.
- Comes with license aggregation and management features
- Scans your network to identify all the assets installed in it.
- Scans all hardware details remotely
- Helps with mass upgrades and to troubleshoot hardware problems remotely.
- Makes compliance a breeze.
Since this tool takes complete stock of all your inventory and gives a snapshot of the same in real-time, it is the best tool for inventory management.
Pricing: Cost depends on the number of nodes and below is the pricing for each.
- 25 nodes – $89
- 50 nodes – $169
- 100 nodes – $289
- 200 nodes – $389
- 300 nodes – $489
- 400 nodes – $589
- 500 nodes – $689
- 750 nodes – $889
- 1000 nodes – $999
- 1500 nodes – $1,199
- Unlimited nodes – $1,699
Download: Click here to download a 15-day trial.
10. OpenAudIT by FirstWave (Best in Open Source Community)
OpenAudIT by FirstWave is an open-source network discovery and inventory software that gives you detailed information about your assets including their configuration and changes.
Features:: The salient features of this tool are:
- Automatically discovers assets in your network.
- Supports change monitoring
- Highly scalable to meet your business’ needs
- Manages software licenses
- Provides network analysis reports and dashboards
- Monitors file integrity
- Offers role-based access controls
- Works well in all environments, including the cloud.
This tool is one of the best in the open-source community as it comes loaded with features to help you customize the tool to meet your business needs.
Pricing: This tool comes in three editions – Community, Professional, and Enterprise. The Community edition is free while the Professional and Enterprise editions cost $1,449 and $1,199 respectively.
Download: Click here to download a free version.
To conclude, IT Asset Management is an essential part of your business operations as it helps you to track the cost and performance of your hardware and software assets. The above-mentioned tools come with great features and we hope this information helps you to make the right choices based on your organization’s needs.