In today’s digital world, remote access to resources is an integral part of our work life and also something that we take for granted.
But when you send confidential information such as your credentials over a public network like the Internet, someone can always intercept it.
To avoid this possibility, there is something called a Secure Shell (SSH) protocol that allows users to establish a secure connection between two computers.
This is a part of the TCP/IP protocol stack and has been in use since 1995.
So, how does SSH establish secure communication?
In a nutshell, SSH uses many encryption and authentication techniques to ensure that data streams cannot be read or manipulated, and allows only authorized persons to communicate with each other.
This is why it is a popular option for logging and working on a remote computer.
It can be used securely to access many resources such as routers, switches, computers, servers, and more.
All that you need is an SSH client to make the most of this protocol.
What is an SSH client?
Simply put, an SSH client is a program that uses a secure shell protocol to help you connect to a remote computer.
The standard TCP port for SSH is 22, though it can be configured to listen on a different port.
While Linux or MacOS users can directly do an SSH from their terminal window, Microsoft requires you to use an SSH client.
In fact, the Windows 10 operating system uses OpenSSH as its default SSH client.
Now, this brings up an interesting question. Are there many SSH clients available today?
Yes, and we’re going to present to you the best SSH clients for Windows after evaluating their features.
While many SSH clients are free, some of them are paid, especially if you’re looking for advanced features.
Here’s the Best SSH Clients for Windows:
Solar Putty is a relatively new SSH client that comes with many advanced features, especially ones that are missing from the basic Putty.
One of the biggest advantages of Solar Putty is that it allows many sessions from the same console.
Some of its other features include:
- Allows you to save your credentials, besides configuration
- Provides quick access to recent sessions
- Integrates with Windows search
- Supports multiple sessions
- Comes with a tabbed interface that makes it easy to switch between sessions
- The browser-like UI is simple to use
- Helps to organize sessions and groups
- Customizable, to meet your preferences
Overall, this is a great tool that comes loaded with many features for easy use.
SecureCRT is a commercial product that comes with many advanced features. It has a Windows-style interface to help all kinds of users to access it easily.
The features of this tool are:
- Supports SSH1, SSH2, telnet, rlogin, and TAPI protocols
- Allows you to drag and drop multiple sessions
- Comes with color customization and line wrapping for ease of use
- Sessions management and advanced encryption features make it a secure tool
- Displays the recent sessions list
- Comes with a quick connect option that’s ideal when you don’t want to manage a session
- Stores sessions and credentials
All these features make it a popular choice for many administrators today.
MremoteNG is a basic SSH client, but one that is reliable and works well at all times. Though it doesn’t come loaded with many features, it is still a great choice when all that you want is to connect through SSH.
The salient features of this tool are as follows.
- Supports a wide range of protocols such as RDP, VNC, ICA, SSH, telnet, rlogin, and more.
- Supports RDP sessions in a tab
- Comes with a tabbed interface
- Allows you to view all your remote connections
Overall, MremoteNG is a powerful SSH client that supports multiple protocols and comes with a tabbed interface.
Putty is a popular program that works well as an SSH client and is ideal for telnet, SFTP, and rlogin as well.
This is a simple and lightweight application that makes it easy for administrators to connect to switches, routers, computers, servers, and more.
It also comes with many advanced and useful features such as:
- Saves session configurations
- Provides screen customizations to suit your preferences
- Works well on both 32-bit and 64-bit clients
- Supports SSH1 and SSH2 protocols
- Simple and easy-to-use interface
In all Putty is a great SSH client and is free. But it doesn’t come with a whole lot of advanced features.
Mobaxterm is an SSH client that’s well-known for its simple interface and powerful features that make it ideal for anyone looking to get more out of their SSH clients.
Some of the interesting features of MobaXterm are:
- Supports SSH, telnet, rlogin, RDP, VNC, FTP, and SFTP.
- Includes x server, plugin support, and macro support
- Comes with SSH gateways and SSH tunnels for port forwarding
- Its text editor gives a ton of options for customization and makes it easy to use
- It can highlight syntax or use multiple colors for different keywords
In all, MobaXterm is a great option for anyone looking to get the most out of their SSH client, though it can be a little overwhelming if you’re just looking for a basic SSH client.
To conclude, SSH clients allow you to connect safely to remote computers and they come in many flavors. While many are free, some are paid, especially the ones that come with advanced features. The above list contains the names of some of the most popular SSH clients and we hope they come in handy when you want to connect to a remote computer.
Related Post: Best Remote Desktop Connection Manager