Simple Network Management Protocol, or SNMP in short, is a protocol used to manage different devices on an IP network. This protocol is mostly used to collect information about managed devices on IP networks and to use that information to change the behavior of these devices.
It is also used to identify devices, monitor the performance of your network, and to know the status of your network in real time.
SNMP scanning provides information about the different SNMP nodes in your network and using this information, you can stay on the performance of your network and the many devices that run on it.
As a network administrator, this is a must-have tool in your arsenal as it gives the basic information useful for identifying problems and for troubleshooting the same.
These are also some reasons to run an SNMP scan often, just to ensure that your network and all its devices are in good working condition.
Here’s the Best SNMP Scanner Tools and Software
Now that you know the importance of SNMP scanning, here are some of the top SNMP scanners that will give you all the information you want to ensure that your network and devices are at optimal performance levels always.
Let’s take a detailed look at each of these tools, so you can make an informed choice when it comes to choosing the right scanner for your network.
1. SolarWinds SNMP Scanner with NPM – FREE TRIAL
SolarWinds is a company well-known for its suite of network monitoring tools, and one of the modules offered in this suite is SNMP Scanner – part of the Network Performance Monitor (NPM).
Here is a look at some of the features offered by this tool.
- Discovers network devices automatically. This is particularly useful in large and dynamic networks that have equipment from many vendors.
- Collects detailed information about your network.
- Maps network topology automatically based on the collected information
- Polls device MIBS to get network fault, availability, and performance metrics.
- Helps to visualize network performance
- Makes it easy to understand shortcomings and optimize network performance.
- Takes you to the root-cause with its intelligent analysis
- Provides a hop-by-hop analysis of cloud and on-premise applications.
Pricing: Network Performance Monitor suite starts at $2,995.
Download: Download a fully functional 30-day free trial of Network Performance Monitor.
2. Adrem Software
SNMP Scanner from Adrem Software helps to check the basic information of SNMP nodes in any network.
Source: Adrem Software
The features of Adrem Software’s SNMP Scanner are:
- Supports all SNMP versions
- Scans both whole subnet or just a machine
- Generates the physical segments map that shows the topology of network devices along with the configuration of links between these devices.
- Creates a routing map between layer 3 devices. This information helps to troubleshoot connectivity issues in a corporate network.
- Monitors the performance and availability of devices based on the information collected.
- Supports Cisco’s IP SLA monitoring
- Comes with an SNMP traps listener that allows you to listen to incoming traps.
- Checks the basics of network availability and configuration.
Pricing: It is 100% FREE.
Download: Download Adrem Software’s SNMP Scanner here.
SNMP Scanner from SoftinventiveLab is a comprehensive tool that allows you to stay on top of all the devices connected to your network, and the status and availability of each.
The features of this SNMP Scanner are:
- Finds switches on the network.
- Discovers new devices and helps to maintain an up-to-date inventory
- No need to install agents
- Collects detailed information about every network switch, router, network printer, and all other managed appliances with just a single sweep.
- Creates a detailed summary of your network in an automated mode.
- Generates comprehensive reports that detail network structure and components
Pricing: Cost is dependent on the number of SNMP nodes on your network.
- 25 nodes – $90
- 50 nodes – $170
- 100 nodes – $290
- 150 nodes – $390
- 250 nodes – $550
- 350 nodes – $630
- 500 nodes – $790
- 750 nodes – $990
- 1000 nodes – $1190
- 1500 nodes – $1490
- 2000 nodes – $1790
- Unlimited nodes – $2490
Download: Download a 60-day free trial here.
4. ManageEngine SNMP Tool
ManageEngine’s SNMP Tools are a part of the OpUtils suite that helps to monitor a wide range of devices on your network. There are five SNMP related tools that are a part of this suite and they are:
- MIB Browser
- SNMP Graph
- MIB Node viewer
- MIB module viewer
- Community checker
Let’s take a brief look at each of these tools.
- MIB Browser This tool makes it easy to load and browse through all MIBs in your network. With this tool, you can do all SNMP-related operations such as GET, SET, GET-BULK, and GET-NEXT.
- SNMP Graph This tool draws a graph for any SNMP IP node and provides detailed information about every node. Some of the possible information that comes with it include OID, syntax, description, and node properties.
- MIB Node Viewer This utility accepts the node name or OID as the input and provides all information related to this node. This tool can be particularly useful when you know the node’s name or its OID and want details about it.
- MIB Module Viewer This tool gives a snapshot of a MIB at any given point in time. It gives general information as well as defined attributes and traps.
- Community checker It scans the range of IP addresses based on standard community strings of switches or routers.
Pricing: Contact the sales team for a custom quote.
Download: Download a 30-day free trial here.
Related Post:SNMP MIB and OIDs – What are they and how do they work?
5. SNMP Core from NetScanTools
SNMP Core is a set of tools for SNMP communication. The main purpose of this tool is to create SNMP queries that can be sent to a target, so you can get all information pertaining to it.
To do this though, the node should be running SNMP and you should have the right credentials.
Some of the things you can do with this tool are:
- Get detailed information about the system, model number, serial number, and location about the target device.
- Obtain network interface details.
- Learn more about the packets, device status, LAN manager data, and just about anything else that the device can provide for your credentials.
- Perform different SNMP actions on the target.
- Gives a quick look into the status of the target system.
Pricing: The cost per license is $249.
Download: Click here to download the trial version.
6. Secure Bytes
Secure Bytes’ SNMP Scanner uses SNMP MIB and traps to monitor routers in a network. It uses SNMP to map and track your network devices, and at the same time, gives visibility to know about all your undocumented devices.
Source: Secure Bytes
Pricing: Contact Secure Bytes for pricing.
Download: Click here for a trial version.
LoriotPro’s SNMP Scanner is an SNMP tool used to discover devices within a specified IP range. When it works in tandem with an IP scanner, this tool can discover all devices including hosts that do not use a default router.
Some of the features of Loriot Pro are:
- Updates the LoriotPro directory with information about the newly-discovered hosts, if that’s something you want.
- Provides information about host, open TCP ports, and SNMP packets received from hosts.
- The result of script execution is displayed in the lowest pane.
- Starting and using this tool is fairly easy and intuitive.
- Advanced scan option is available in the Extended Version.
- Resolves the hostname with a DNS query
Pricing: The basic edition is FREE. Contact customer support for Extended edition.
Download: Click here to download the free edition.
Mitec Network Scanner is a free multi-threaded scanner that comes with many advanced features to make it easy to stay on top of the performance of different devices on your network.
The features of Mitec Network Scanner are:
- Ideal for both administrators as well as any user interested in the security of their computer.
- It does ping sweep, scans for open TCP and UDP ports, and checks for resource shares and services.
- Displays properties for SNMP-enabled devices
- Allows you to edit information, add them to CSV files, and export this data.
- Resolves hostnames and auto-detects your local IP range.
Pricing: 100% FREE
Download: Click here to download this tool
To conclude, SNMP scanners are an important tool to know about the performance and availability of different devices on your network.
It gives detailed information about each device within a specified IP range, provided the device is SNMP-enabled and you have administrator rights to collect and access these details.
All the above-mentioned tools can provide you with this much-needed information.