Patch Management Software not only helps keep you systems up-to-date but also saves your Company from Potential Threats, Ransomware, Viruses and Exploits that could cripple your infrastructure.
As of late, Ransomware has taken down Government, Educational and even Health Care systems to a halt – Locking Files and systems down due to either User Error or Un-Patched systems.
Hackers have become highly sophisticated in their attacks, so it has become absolutely necessary to identify vulnerabilities in Operating System (Windows, Linux/Unix and even Mac OsX) and software, and fix them right away.
Here’s our list of the top Patch Management tools
- SolarWinds Patch Manager – FREE TRIAL A patch management system that is able to patch systems over a network and even on other sites across the internet. This tool updates Windows and Microsoft products plus a long list of third-party software including that produced by Google and Adobe. Installs on Windows Server.
- Syxsense Patch Management – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based patch manager that is included in an endpoint management package and an endpoint protection service bundle.
- SuperOps Patch Management – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based platform that includes a patch management module to update endpoints running Windows. This platform also offers a PSA package.
- ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus – FREE TRIAL An automated patch management system for on-premises and cloud resources that can patch Windows macOS, and Linux. Installs on Windows and Windows Server and is available as a cloud-based service.
- Atera – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based remote monitoring and management platform that includes patch management.
- NinjaRMM – FREE TRIAL A patch management automation system that is part of a remote monitoring and management service. This is a cloud-based platform.
- Ivanti Windows Patch A patch manager that specializes in updating Windows and Windows Server operating systems and hypervisors.
- GFI LanGuard This software manages patch automation for Windows, Windows Server, macOS, and Linux. Installs on Windows Server.
- ITarian Windows Patch Management Formerly known as Comodo ONE, Tarian RMM includes a patch automation system that manages Windows, Linux, and third-party software.
As software and operating system companies identify vulnerabilities, they create a patch and broadcast it to all the users.
Software and hardware companies (as of lately) send out Patches for new features and capabilities that are crucial to keeping vulnerable systems up-to-update in between major updates.
All this means, the IT administrators are forever patching one update or another. As a result, IT administrators are forced to spend a considerable time patching different software, and in turn, this brings down their productivity.
Sometimes, it can even lead to mistakes and negligence, that eventually have serious consequences for the company.
To avoid all these issues, it’s best to use Patch management and monitoring tools that will assist you in the process of keeping systems up-to-date.
Below we review several tools and software that will help you in the process of finding a software tool!
Related Post: Best Linux Monitoring Tools & Software
Here’s the Top Patch Management & Monitoring Tools/Software of 2021:
These Patch Manager Software & Tools could greatly ease the work of an IT administrator, provided they are scalable, comprehensive, easy-to-use and cover many vendors.
Let’s take an in-depth look into each of these options below and check out their Features and Capabilities for Patch Monitoring & Management:
SolarWinds Patch Manager is one of the Most Comprehensive tool that meets the needs of all companies, regardless of their size and distribution.
Below are some of the salient features of this tool.
- Integrates well with WSUS and Microsoft update agent.
- Automatically updates Windows patches on custom schedules.
- Gives the option to create different patching schedules for different products.
- Proactively identifies the servers and workstations that need patches.
- Provides complete control over the patching process
- Supports a wide range of vendors and works well across thousands of servers and workstations, ranging from physical, virtual, online and offline systems. Adobe, Google, Microsoft, Opera Browser, Firefox, QuickTime, Skype, RealPlayer, WinRAR and WinZIP are some of the popular products supported by this tool.
- Simplifies many of the processes/steps involved in patching.
- Allows to easily build customs scripts to deploy the necessary actions required before or after a patch is installed.
- Gives you the choice to decide which patches have to be installed based on release date, criticality level, etc.
- Enables you to create custom packages to simplify the patching process.
Price: 30 Day Free TRIAL!
Official Download: Download a fully functional 30-day free trial from https://www.solarwinds.com/patch-manager/registration
Syxsense offers two cloud-based system services bundles that both include the Syxsense Patch Management service. These are an endpoint management system, called Syxsense Manage, and a system security package called Syxsense Secure.
Some of the features of the Syxsense Patch Management service include:
- An endpoint discovery service.
- A software scan that creates a software inventory.
- Automated patch and update availability monitoring.
- Management of endpoints running Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- A centralized cloud-based console for the management and security supervision of all endpoints.
- Cloud server space for patch installation packages and patch status logs included in the price.
- A register of approved installation windows.
- Our-of-hours automated rollouts.
- Status reports on completed installations.
- A manual run option.
- The option of taking either system as a managed service.
- Security audit log file management.
Pricing: Contact the Sales team at https://www.syxsense.com/pricing-syxsense#quote for a quote.
Download: Download a 14-day free trial of both Syxsense Manage and Syxsense Secure from https://www.syxsense.com/start-a-free-trial-of-syxsense
The SuperOps Patch Management system is part of a SaaS platform that offers an RMM package and a PSA service. This package provides the systems required by MSPs. The platform is also suitable for use by independent freelance technicians and also the IT departments of businesses.
The features of this patch manager include:
- An associated asset manager that provides a software inventory
- Automate patch availability polling
- Patch management for desktops and laptops running Windows
- The option for automatic rollout
- An option to hold up patch rollout for approval
- Logging of all activities
- Completion statuses are shown in the dashboard
- Option to rerun failed patches
- An associated PSA system with a Service Desk module for ticketing
- A hosted service with no need to maintain the software
- Storage space included for patch installers and logs
- Patch manager software updated automatically
- Secure connections between sites and the Patch Management server
Price: There are four editions for SuperOps:
|Solo||PSA + RMM for single, independent technicians: Free for the first year|
|Starter||PSA only: $89 per technician per month|
|Growth||PSA and RMM for small MSPs: $109 per technician per month|
|Premium||PSA and RMM plus a Project Management module: $129 per technician per month|
ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus is a centralized service that enables system administrators to manage the rollout of patches to many endpoints running Windows, macOS, and Linux. It can patch workstations, endpoints, and virtual systems, plus roaming devices.
The features of this patch manager include:
- Patch Windows, macOS, and Linux endpoints
- Automated patch availability detection
- Automatic software inventory scanning
- 3rd party patch management
- Server application patch management
- Service pack deployment
- Patch management reports
- Role-based administration
- Cloud-based subscription option
- Distribution server for bandwidth optimization
- Antivirus definition updates
- Test and approve patches
- Two-factor authentication
Price: Contact the sales team at ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus is available in free and paid editions.
Atera is a remote monitoring and management (RMM) system that is integrated into an all-in-one platform for managed service providers. The RMM services of Atera supply tools to enable MSP technicians to manage the systems of client companies. Those tools include a patch manager. As the service is intended for MSPs, it is capable of automating patch management for any system anywhere in the world over a network. The service is multi-tenanted, so one technician can oversee the patch statuses of many company’s systems from one console.
The Atera patch management system has the following benefits:
- Patches Windows and Windows Server operating systems
- Patches Microsoft Office components
- Patches Java and related services
- Patches Adobe products
- Patches hardware drivers
- Gathers monitored systems version numbers
- Sources new patches
- Schedules patches for downtime installations
- Commands reboot remotely
- Allows for individual patches to be excluded
- Includes on-demand patch roll out
- Patch rollout individually, per device type, or device-wide
The Atera platform is offered on a subscription basis with a rate per technician per month. There is no deposit required and there is no minimum service period. The tools bundles are available in three editions: Pro, Growth, and Power. All three of these plans include the Atera Patch Manager.
Pricing: Prices are per technician per month: Pro for $79, Growth for $119, Power for $149
Download: The Atera system is hosted in the cloud and the console is accessed through any standard browser. Atera offers new customers a 30-day free trial.
NinjaRMM is a package of tools that enable technicians to run IT services remotely. This is a remote monitoring and management(RMM) system and all of the tools are run from the NinjaRMM servers in the cloud. The system console for the platform is accessed through any standard browser, so the software does not need to be downloaded and managed on-site. The RMM package includes a patch manager.
Here are the key features of the NinjaRMM patch manager:
- Patches Windows and macOS operating systems.
- Keeps system services and hardware drivers up to date.
- Patches a list of third-party software from 135 suppliers including Google and Adobe.
- Enables mass rollout of patches
- Automatically implements a reboot when needed at the end of applying patches
- Allows individual patches to be held back for investigation
- Automatically sources patch packages and stores them
- Enables rollout to be scheduled so that they are run out of office hours
- Reports on patch rollout statuses
- Enables patches to be applied individually
Price: The NinjaRMM platform is a subscription service with a rate per monitored device. Contact the NinjaRMM sales team for a quote.
7. Ivanti Patch for Windows
Ivanti Patch for Windows comes from a company called Ivanti that specializes in making software for security, IT asset management, IT service management and supply chain. This tools helps you to tackle different OS and app-level threats of all Windows devices, including workstations and data centers.
Here are some things it can do for you.
- It is a single automated solution that handles physical and virtual servers and workstations.
- It patches everything, starting from Windows operating systems to Hypervisors.
- Provides support for third-party apps as well.
- It automates the entire process, starting from discovery, assessment, patching and delivery of updates. As a result, IT administrators can use their time and effort towards more productive tasks.
- Comes with an intuitive interface that displays the results in a visually-appealing manner. You can get any information you want with just a few clicks.
- Advanced reporting tool comes with many built-in features to support different types of reports.
- Integrates patch management with other functions to create a resilient infrastructure.
- Gives granular and accurate control over the entire patching process.
- Its advanced API stack integrates with third-party security solutions, reporting tools and configuration and management tools.
- Schedules tasks at such a time that it won’t affect users in a big way.
Price: Contact the sales team at https://go.ivanti.com/Web-Quote.html for a quote.
Official Download: Download your free trial at https://go.ivanti.com/Web-FreeTrial-Patch-for-Windows.html
8. GFI Languard
GFI Languard is a patch management tool for operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and the applications that run on them.
Let’s look at what this tool offers.
- Scans your network automatically or on demand.
- Comes with all the functionality and tools needed to install and manage security updates.
- Supports third-party software
- Enables administrators to detect, download and deploy missing patches for different software.
- Gives the choice to patch a version and upgrade to the next version.
- Automates patching for all browsers running on Windows operating system.
- Supports Exchange servers across all environments, including virtual machines.
- Auto downloads missing patches and patch roll-backs, so the configured environment is stable and is protected from security vulnerabilities.
- Offers access to a web-based user interface over a secure connection
- The dashboard gives a centralized view of all information
- Allows multi-tasking, as some users can access the reports while the IT administrators can be working on a different part of the network.
- Complies with vulnerability assessment standards such as OVAL and SANS Top 20.
- Integrates well with more than 4,000 critical applications across different areas, ranging from anti-virus to device access control.
- Supports vulnerability scanning on smartphones and tablets that run on Windows, Android and iOS.
Price: Contact an authorized GFI partner at https://www.gfi.com/pages/partners.asp to get a quote.
Official Download: Download a free trial at https://www.gfi.com/products-and-solutions/network-security-solutions/gfi-languard/download
9. ITarian Windows Patch Managemen
ITerian Windows Patch Managemen (formerly Comodo ONE) is a scalable and effective patch management tool that takes a lot of burden off the shoulders of IT administrators.
Below are some of its features.
- Allows to remotely deploy operating system updates for Windows
- Gives administrators granular control over the deployment of updates to operating systems and third-party applications.
- Works with WSUS to automatically update Windows patches.
- Gives you the flexibility to create patch management policies and schedules to match the needs of your organization
- Automatically identifies the servers and workstations that need patches.
- Gives detailed information about the patches that need to be installed.
- Continuously monitors the applications to ensure that patches are working
- Offers advanced reporting options
Price:This is an open-source software, so it is available at no cost.
Official Download: You can download ITarian Windows Patch Managemen from https://www.itarian.com/signup/?afid=9360
In short, Patch Management Tools and software suites automate much of the patch installation and maintenance, so IT administrators can be more productive and effective and not have to worry about getting updates in a timely manner.
The above tools are some of the best in the industry and offer comprehensive patch management solutions for your organization.
Grab one and get it installed and tested it out in your network!