WhatsUp Gold is a popular network and infrastructure monitoring tool from Ipswitch.
It comes with many useful features that allow you to monitor every aspect of your IT environment, regardless of whether it is on-premises or in the cloud, through a single interface.
That said, WhatsUp Gold may not be the best choice for all businesses because of the following limitations:
- No support for Microsoft Hyper-V
- Expensive, and may not be ideal for businesses with limited budgets
- No API for customization
- Adding a device by IP address is complicated.
- Overall, WhatsUp Gold is not easy to work with.
If WhatsUp Gold is not suitable for your business due to these reasons, don’t worry as there are many good alternatives to Whatsup Gold that can accomplish the same tasks that you need.
Here’s the Best Alternatives to WhatsUp Gold:
The top five best alternatives to WhatsUp Gold are:
Let’s take a brief look into the features of each of these software suites, so you can make an informed decision and which WhatsUp Gold Replacment you want to download and get installed in your infrastructure environment.
1. Solarwinds NPM
Solarwinds NPM is the flagship product of Solarwinds, a company well-known in the field of network and infrastructure monitoring.
They have the widest range of products in the IT Realm, Spanning from Application Monitoring tools to VM Management software and even one of the most popular Syslog Servers in the Market (Kiwi Syslog).
Solarwinds NPM comes with a host of useful features that make it a great Alternative for WhatsUp Gold. Some of its important features are:
- Cross stack network data correlation accelerates the possibility of identifying the root cause of the problem. You can even drag and drop performance metrics on a common timeline to get an immediate correlation of your network data.
- Helps to quickly detect and resolve network issues even before they impact the end user. Also, this greatly reduces network downtime.
- NetPath helps to get a hop-by-hop analysis on critical path. This means, you can view performance, traffic and configuration details of different devices and applications, regardless of whether they are on premises, in the cloud or in a hybrid environment.
- You can customize the topology and create intelligent alerts that are based on interdependent events, correlated events, conditional checks and device dependencies.
- It automatically discovers and maps devices, performance metrics and wireless coverage.
- Calculates exhaustion dates using customizable thresholds, so you can plan accordingly.
- Easy to install, as you can have the application up and running within an hour.
- Automatically calculates baseline thresholds from network performance data collected by the system.
- Monitors, alerts and reports on the key health metrics of hardware devices.
- Excellent reporting tool that comes with high levels of customization.
These features clearly show that Solarwinds NPM is a great alternative to WhatsUp Gold as it is more comprehensive and user-friendly.
30 Day Free Trial to Test in your Network with No CC Required or Obligation!
You can download a fully functional free trial from https://www.solarwinds.com/network-performance-monitor/registration
2. PRTG by Paessler
PRTG is another powerful monitoring tool that gives insights into your complete IT infrastructure. No wonder this comprehensive tool is a great choice, if you’re looking for a comprehensive monitoring tool.
The features of PRTG include some of the following:
- Comes with ten built-in technologies for alerting. This list includes email, text messages, alarm audio files, push notifications, HTTP requests and so much more. You can even schedule alerts using various dependencies. Another option is to use the PRTG API to write your own notifications.
- Its multiple user interfaces meet the highest security standards and at the same time, is highly intuitive and user-friendly. There are apps for iOS and Android as well.
- A single fail-over is included in every license to reduce the possibility of downtime.
- Maps and dashboards give live information in a visually appealing way. You can also create custom dashboards and integrate all network components to it, using PRTG map designer. In fact, this designer comes with 300 different map objects to choose from.
- Supports distributed monitoring, which means, you can monitor networks across different locations. In the hosted version, you can use remote probes to monitor your LAN.
- In-depth reports give you accurate information about the health of your network at any time. You can run reports on demand or schedule them to run at a specific day and time.
Pricing depends on the number of sensors you use.
- First 100 sensors are free
- 500 sensors and one server installation – $1600
- 1000 sensors and one server installation – $2850
- 2500 sensors and one server installation – $5950
- 5000 sensors and one server installation – $10500
- Unlimited sensors and one server installation – $14500
- Unlimited sensors and five server installations – $60000
You can download the free version from https://www.paessler.com/
OpManager from ManageEngine is a powerful and user-friendly network monitoring software that makes it easy to handle the growing network complexity. It comes with many comprehensive features that detect network faults in real time and prevent downtime.
It also gives complete visibility and control over your entire IT infrastructure, and these are why OpManager is a good alternative for WhatsUp Gold.
The salient features of OpManager are:
- Monitors network devices in real time through graphs and live dashboards. It measures many critical parameters to give you a realistic view.
- Monitors both physical and virtual networks.
- Makes it easy to detect, identify and troubleshoot issues with threshold-based alerts. You can even set multiple thresholds for every critical parameter.
- Reactive network monitoring techniques help you to get to a problem before it affects your end users.
- With more than 100 built-in reports, this software helps with compliance and reporting.
- You can install and setup within a few minutes, as no complex procedures are needed.
Contact the sales team to get a quote.
Download a free trial at https://www.manageengine.com/network-monitoring/download.html
4. Nagios XI
Nagios XI has a flexible design architecture and this makes it easy to meet all the needs of your infrastructure. You can monitor any network and environment with this tool. In addition, it uses Nagios Core 4 monitoring engine for a more efficient and scalable monitoring.
These reasons make it a better choice than WhatsUp Gold.
The important features of Nagios are:
- Allows users to utilize server resources more efficiently, thanks to the presence of Core 4 engine.
- A powerful dashboard gives a high-level view of everything you should know about your network. Navigation is easy as well.
- Historical performance and capacity planning graphs help you to understand usage and plan better. Also, you can make the necessary arrangements before the network gets overloaded.
- It comes with many configuration wizards that make it a breeze to configure the monitoring of different devices, applications, databases and more. Bulk configuration options are also available.
- Configuration snapshot archive gives information about recent configuration snapshots, so you can refer to it in case of problems.
- Service Level Agreement reports make it easy to measure the effectiveness of hosts, services and businesses to see if the terms and conditions of SLA are being met or not.
- Event handlers take care of automatic remediation solutions for certain predefined problems.
These features make Nagios XI a comprehensive monitoring software that can improve your overall productivity and efficiency.
Starts at $1,995
You can download a 60-day free trial at https://www.nagios.com/downloads/nagios-xi/
Zabbix is an open-source monitoring tool that can pretty much monitor anything in your IT infrastructure. Whether it is network, server, cloud, application or services, Zabbix monitors them all for you.
The best part of Zabbix is it’s FREE.
There are no limits or hidden costs associated with it, so it is definitely a good choice for small businesses and individuals who are working within a limited budget.
Features of Zabbix include,
- It collects metrics from all devices, applications and systems. In fact, it uses many metric collection systems such as SNMP and IPMI agents, agentless monitoring, end user web monitoring and more.
- Detects problem states automatically from the incoming flow of information. So, you don’t have to monitor the incoming information and this saves a ton of time and effort for you.
- You can define smart thresholds that help to identify multiple severity levels, detect anomalies, do a root cause analysis and so much more.
- Comes with a native web interface that provides comprehensive information about your IT environment. Graphs, maps, slideshows, reports and other graphical representations are included in this interface.
- When any unplanned event occurs, Zabbix reaches out to the concerned person immediately. You can even choose to configure Zabbix to fix problems or send custom messages to a role-based authority.
- Strong encryption between different Zabbix components, flexible user permission schema and multiple authentication methods provide the highest possible security for users.
- Zabbix is open-source, so code is open for audits.
You can download it from https://www.zabbix.com/download
WhatsUp Gold is a good tool for network monitoring, but comes with certain limitations. The alternatives presented above are a good replacement for WhatsUp Gold. Out of these, Solarwinds NPM, ManageEngine OpManager and PRTG are highly recommended because their features are similar to WhatsUp Gold and at the same time, they cover its limitations too.