Data transfers are ubiquitous and are integral to network operations today.
However, many factors affect data transfers such as network latency, congestion, infrastructure, network quality, and more. All these aspects delay the transfer of data packets and even disrupt the process of transmission.
These delays are called jitters. In other words, jitter is the variance in time delay (measured in milliseconds) that happen in the transmission of different packets over a network.
Let’s understand jitter with an example. Let’s say computer X is communicating with computer Y and both are exchanging data packets.
During the normal course of exchange, let’s say each packet takes 10 ms to travel and both the computers process the incoming data as it comes in. When there are network jitters, this delay will increase to about 40ms per packet and in turn, will throw the processing out of sync for the computers.
This is a negative aspect that needs to be fixed at the earliest as it can lead to poor user experience and frustrating delays.
Avoiding these jitters becomes all the more important if your organization relies heavily on VoIP for internal and external communication.
Best Jitter Test Tools and Software for Identifying VoIP Issues:
As a first step. you should identify the cause of the Jitter and this could be impossible to do manually unless you want to monitor the speed of every data packet in your network. An easier and better option is to use Jitter Testing Tools and software that continuously scan and monitor your network and alerts you when jitter exceeds the threshold limits in your network.
Let’s take a more detailed look at each of these tools, so you can decide which of these tools is ideal for you.
The Network Jitter Monitoring tool from SolarWinds is a part of the VoIP and Network Quality Manager suite that analyzes VoIP traffic to calculate jitter and latency from the data packet stream.
Features: Some of the important features of this tool are:
- Helps to maintain the call quality of VoIP
- This tool allows you to analyze call details records from Cisco and Avaya Communication Managers.
- Measures many aspects such as current jitter and maximum jitter to give you a better idea of the performance and quality of the VoIP traffic.
- Makes it easy to identify IP SLA capable nodes, so you can have complete control over the performance and call quality of VoIP.
- You can filter VoIP calls based on network jitter metrics, common error codes, or call quality metrics.
- Gives you a precise idea of the problem areas.
- Offers real-time WAN monitoring and alerting of site-to-site WAN performance.
- Provides a big picture of how a call transits your network.
Pricing: 30 Day Trial! Download Below to Get started!
Download: Download a fully functional 30-day free trial version.
2. PRTG Jitter Monitor
PRTG Jitter Monitor stays on top of the transmission of every packet to reduce the possibility of congestion and to identify network jitters at the earliest.
Features: The features of PRTG Jitter Monitor are:
- Reacts quickly to identify jitters and prevent malfunction.
- Includes Cisco monitoring as well.
- Its continuous monitoring process greatly reduces the possibility of congestion in data transmission.
- Comes with a customizable and quick-reacting alarm.
- Provides optimal network stability to avoid interruptions and productivity loss
Sensors: PRTG uses a sensor-based system for monitoring network jitters and some of the sensors used are:
- QoS round-trip sensor – This sensor monitors the quality of your network connection.
- QoS one-way sensor – Monitors the quality of the connection between different PRTG probes.
- Cisco IP SLA sensor – this sensor uses SNMP to monitor Cisco’s IP SLA.
- Ping jitter sensor – Calculates jitter for a series of ping signals to check the availability of your devices.
Pricing: The license cost depends on the number of sensors you choose for your organization.
- 100 sensors – Free
- 500 sensors – $1,600
- 1000 sensors – $2,850
- 2500 sensors – $5,950
- 5000 sensors – $10,500
- Unlimited sensors for one installation – $14,500
- Unlimited sensors for five installations – $60,000
Download: Click here to download the free version that can support up to 100 sensors.
3. StarTrinity Jitter and Packet Loss Test Tool
StarTrinity’s Jitter and Packet Loss Test Tool is open-source software for Windows, Linux, Android.
Features: This tool comes with the following features.
- It measures the quality of Internet connection using many bidirectional UDP streams.
- It encodes timestamps into UDP packets for detailed analysis and to identify jitters.
- It reports a plethora of things such as upstream and downstream bandwidth, upstream and downstream jitter, upstream and downstream packet loss, uptime percentage, history of downtimes, and more.
- Measures network quality between two specific end-points.
Pricing: It is 100% FREE.
Download: Click here to download this tool.
Related Post: Testing for Packet Loss on Windows
4. MegaPath Network Jitter Test Tool
MegaPath’s Network Jitter Test Tool is an online service that tests the jitter and ping speeds of your network. It provides valuable information about the state of your network without the need to install new tools or software.
Features: The features of this tool are:
- It is an online service that requires no installation whatsoever.
- It can be ideal for individuals as well as small networks.
- This tool gives information about your upload and download speeds as well, so you can have an accurate idea of your connection’s speed besides its jitter and latency levels.
- Gives you an idea of how many VoIP services your network can support and can be particularly helpful for capacity planning.
Pricing: It is 100% FREE and can be accessed online.
Download: Click here to access the tool.
To conclude, jitters are annoying and frustrating delays that can severely impact end-user experience besides causing problems in the processing of data packets.
But identifying these jitters is not easy and requires a reliable tool that will give the delay metrics and possibly even insights into the cause of this problem.
The above tools are excellent in their own ways and we hope the above information helps you to make informed decisions.